Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Sun Jan 25th

13.2mile run in 1:58:10, which is 8.952min/mile pace. Quite happy with that considering mile 11 was quite slow and painful with ITB hurting alot on the downhill. Delighted to report no nausea. Definitely going to stick with the non-dairy diet, not that hard really and totally worth it to be able run cramp free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 clonsillarunner

the log along with sitings of Finisher t shirts made me finally get back running today. 5 miles in the park. The race series is not too far away.

Only thing about the park is that you feel silly running on your own when passing all the groups.

question.....do you all carry your own water or pre dump in on the route before you start.

Thanks for the motivation..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Do my long runs in the Park too. Getting supplies is easy if I drive over as I can park somewhere that I can pass my car every 5/6 miles. If I run down (about 3 miles house->park), I stuff a few 2 euro coins in my shoelaces and stop in a shop. (The pedestrian gate at Chapelizod is pretty close to some shops. I like to stop, have a pause/drink and then run up Knockmaroon Hill).

All of my runs are based on a 6mile loop that I do from my local gym. So I leave with a 500ml bottle of powerade that lasts me for the first loop, come back, pick up bottle that I've hidden in a bush and off I go again. I wouldnt like going in to a shop cos it would break my momentum, plus they'd be wondering who the crazy person running on the spot in the queue was!!!

thanks for the advise. I always get a few wierd looks as I dash behind a tree for a resupply of water and the odd packet of wine gums. Im not sure that I would uses the phrase "run up Knockmaroom Hill" and the word "like" in the same sentence but I admire your courage! I stick to the hills in the Park.

I have never thought of running from the gym. Anyway I don not intend to renew the considerable cost of membership due to the recession!

park runners.........clockwise or anti-clockwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

park runners.........clockwise or anti-clockwise?
    alternate, the camper is quite bad in parts of the park so you don't wnat to encourage an injury.

I have never thought of running from the gym. Anyway I don not intend to renew the considerable cost of membership due to the recession!

No-one said uv to use their facilities, just it may be handy spot to run from and for leaving drinks i've found it perfect :)

i take your point but with my willpower (weak) I would probably sit in the steam room rather than hit the dreary roads of Dublin 15.

Still at least I am running again . I will try the alternate runs in the park when I start doing the laps. Breaking 45 for 10km is my goal for now.

Tue Jan 27th

What a beautiful evening for a run! Crisp night with class foggy patches! A million and one other runners out too. Really appreciating it after running in cold, wet, wind for last couple of months.

4.2miles in 35:05 which is 8.35min/mile pace - happy days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »
    Tue Jan 27th

What a beautiful evening for a run! Crisp night with class foggy patches! A million and one other runners out too. ! :)

I was so jealous of anyone out running yesterday evening. There was a good stretch and it was still and crisp. I was driving from work to college at 5.30 and I was wishing I could get out for a few easy miles. Instead I sat on my @ss for 4 hours and ate about 20 biscuits :(

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Instead I sat on my @ss for 4 hours and ate about 20 biscuits :(

Why????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

keep it up marie c. im jealous of all ye guys that can run a decent park with alot of other runners/mad hatters around. u intend to do dub 09? what times you hoping for or is it one day at a time.

keep it up marie c. im jealous of all ye guys that can run a decent park with alot of other runners/mad hatters around. u intend to do dub 09? what times you hoping for or is it one day at a time.

Thanks Man from Atlantis. I dont do any of my running in a park though, all of my running is out on roads. No parks near me. I've switched to the half for connemara (March 22nd) and I'd love to do that below or close to 1:55. Im running the Paris full two weeks later and the goal for that is to beat my time for Dublin 08 - 3:53:17. Not sure yet about DM 09, one day at a time type of person when it comes to planning things ages away.

best of luck in conemara half. i presume its closed at this stage? sounds like a 'tough' course so 1 55 would be fair going. bring on the long evenings when clocks change!!!

I forgot about the clocks changing! Happy days!!!
    Ya I know 1:55 prob a bit ambitious for Connemara but sure feck it if I dont aim for it I def wont make it. Think its closed with ages yeah....
    What are your targets/goals for the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Why????

They always leave a tray of biscuits out in the break out room on College evenings. Usually about 3-4 packs dumped onto it. I've tried having a huge breakfast and having my lunch at 4.30pm (a full dinner) but I'm still usually hungry by 8pm when we have a break. Important presentation last night too, needed nerves calming. Some people run out for a nicotine stick I munch the cookies. I want to drop about 3kg by Tri season though so I can't do this too often :)

def the 30th dub marathon. did alot of training all 08 but failed to break 4Hrs (4:01) was 1:52 at half stage. anyways this year change of plan./...... not so many 7 milers (did a huge amount last year) and am gonna make sure i have plenty of long runs under the belt. am doing 14milers (slow tho) every weekend these days and will increase. by the time the mara comes around its gonna be a lark in the park (ha ha i wish).
    also for 10k would love to break 44 mins. good bit off this at the moment. so in a nut shell.............. to break 3:45 dub 30th mara...............although 3:39:59 sounds so much better..........ok manfromatlantis stop dreaming.

MCOS wrote: »
    They always leave a tray of biscuits out in the break out room on College evenings. Usually about 3-4 packs dumped onto it. I've tried having a huge breakfast and having my lunch at 4.30pm (a full dinner) but I'm still usually hungry by 8pm when we have a break. Important presentation last night too, needed nerves calming. Some people run out for a nicotine stick I munch the cookies. I want to drop about 3kg by Tri season though so I can't do this too often :)

Me love cookies :)
    Why dont you throw a few apples/bag of nuts/granola bar in your schoolbag? :) That way you'll still be getting your treat but without the guilt!

P.S - Hope presentation went well :)

def the 30th dub marathon. did alot of training all 08 but failed to break 4Hrs (4:01) was 1:52 at half stage. anyways this year change of plan./...... not so many 7 milers (did a huge amount last year) and am gonna make sure i have plenty of long runs under the belt. am doing 14milers (slow tho) every weekend these days and will increase. by the time the mara comes around its gonna be a lark in the park (ha ha i wish).
    also for 10k would love to break 44 mins. good bit off this at the moment. so in a nut shell.............. to break 3:45 dub 30th mara...............although 3:39:59 sounds so much better..........ok manfromatlantis stop dreaming.

what kind of pace are ur 14milers? Mind u dont overtrain in distance and undertrain in speed training. my longest run for DM 08 was 18miles. with the long run at the weekend, a medium mid week, I kept my other 2 runs for really trying to push myself speedwise. My goal for a 10k is sub 50min I think but that may exceedingly optimistic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My goal for a 10k is sub 50min I think but that may exceedingly optimistic.....
    Hi MarieC, based on your DM08 time, McMillan says you should already be good for a sub-50 minute 10k (49:43 to be exact at a a pace of 7:59/mile). McMillan has always been bang on the money for me. So don't underestimate yourself. Aim higher!

• Advertisement

last 14.2 miler in 2 hr 05 so 8:48 min mile or thereabouts
    last year i tried to run pretty much as fast as i could every training run and my 'best' for this run was 1:56 . but i've been told to hold your horses take it easier on the long runs and ..........well lets see. ur 3 53 marathon impressive........what sort of half marathon time did u clock? bet u paced yourself better than me. (when i saw 7:40 :eek:on the watch for the first mile last year in dub mara i knew either (a) this is gonna be some run:) or (b) ur a fool :mad: ............unfortunately i had the last 8 miles to contemplate and accept (b)
    the funny thing is (if its funny?) i know ur menat to pace yourself, but my plan was to head off to feck and see what happens. ok i saw what happens and hence new training game plan.
    yeah with 3 53 mara u should be able to break 50 for 10k.

Thanks for that Krusty. Im quite surprised by that, thought I was ages away from sub 50k. Definitely something for me to realistically work towards.

last 14.2 miler in 2 hr 05 so 8:48 min mile or thereabouts
    last year i tried to run pretty much as fast as i could every training run and my 'best' for this run was 1:56 . but i've been told to hold your horses take it easier on the long runs and ..........well lets see. ur 3 53 marathon impressive........what sort of half marathon time did u clock? bet u paced yourself better than me. (when i saw 7:40 :eek:on the watch for the first mile last year in dub mara i knew either (a) this is gonna be some run:) or (b) ur a fool :mad: ............unfortunately i has the last 8 miles to contemplate and accept (b)
    the funny thing is (if its funny?) i know ur menat to pace yourself, but my plan was to head off to feck and see what happens. ok i saw what happens and hence new training game plan.
    yeah with 3 53 mara u should be able to break 50 for 10k.

I cant remember who said it one of their training logs today, about trying to run without the Garmin but that is kind of links in with this. My Special K (sent away tokens for it) stopwatch broke about a month in to my DM 08 training and I never replaced it. So Id clock my time just before and after a run not having a clue of actual pace until after. I think this in the long run (excuse the pun) was of huge benefit to me because it made me listen to my body, and I got quite nifty at "feeling" the pace and I could estimate run times fairly accurately. I didnt even have a watch for the marathon itself. I knew my pace going in to the marathon was approx 8.8min/mile pace. Only got to check my times at 10k,half and 30k. I never believed that Id do DM 08 in sub 4hr so just focused on pushing myself to keep my training pace. this made me stay v.tune with my own run, it almost didnt feel like the marathon, felt like a long training run of sticking with my own game plan as you do on your weekend runs. Dont know what my half marathon time was but did a 15miler in Cobh 3 weeks before it in 2:07:43.

In my limited experience the marathon is all about pace. You've trained too much for too long to get carried away and just say feck it and belt away. Keep your pace and then you'll be laughing at the end. I'll stop now :rolleyes:

does a box of Kimberly take long to run off?

they were only 4 euro. The more you eat the more you save.

The park was great today. A few friends decided to do fast 2 milers. I managed 13 17 but used to be alot faster.

damn those kimberly

great run 10km in under 45 before in early April before the race series.........motivation

Sat Jan 31st

In London for the weekend as boyfriend lives over there. Managed a 6miler on Sat.Time was 50:19 which puts it at 8.38min/mile pace. Not 100% sure of distance. Alot to be said for running in familiar territory as it makes things alot easier mentally I think. Still was a v.enjoyable run.

Feb 1st Sun

10miles at 9min/mile pace. Incorporated some "nice" hills in to it also.

good runs. looks like you missed the snow by the skin of your teeth! that might have added a few mins to the 6 miler :D
    im sorry now i didnt enter connemara. any decent half marathons coming up anyone (in the west or midlands) ta

kinda missed the snow..... got to airport for my 9:45 flight at 9:45. We took off at 4:20! got to bed at half 6 this morning. everyone else cancelled flights but not good old ryanair..... hence im writing this from my bed.......

Wed Feb 4th

Owing to PhD meltdown from Mon to Wed I knew I had tonnes of energy for my run on Wednesday. Just did 3.2miles but gave it socks. Was aiming for a time of 28:30 so was delighted to see 26:10 on the clock. That brings me to a new low pace of 8.177min/mile. Felt great after it.

To anyone who is trying to juggle PhD with running, dont let the running go. PhD you cant always control so not only is running a fantastic release but its lovely to have something so positive and to have complete control over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Hi Marie, just catching up on some of your log your showing some great improvements...well done!

Advertisement