Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well done on finishing a tough race, the miles will stand to you in Paris. It might not feel like much now but as you say you know you are faster than a 2:02 HM so it's just a case of taking teh positives and moving on.

If it were me heading to Paris I would be treating it as a bit of fun - you don't want your ITB to flare up early and put you out and running a marathon on an injury could do a lot of damage in teh medium term. Paris is a *great* marathon, great support, scenic route, brilliant support stalls (cheese, fruit, wine, cider.. the french know how to run!). Enjoy it as teh fun it is and get competitive when you have some more letters after your name, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done MarieC, some job fitting that in with the phD pressure. Congrats :) Yep, enjoy Paris for what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Tue 31st March

Aw man my training log was gone on to page-3!! Well as I've mentioned previously training hasn't been to plan but fingers crossed Im ok for Paris this weekend. Still not getting the time to run and the fact it is Rag Week means I dont feel safe running anywhere around here. It also means that for the week I should be getting sleep I will be getting very little (example is fire alarm going off for 70minutes last night due to houseparty downstairs). Nothing I can do about that, so gonna try to focus on positive mental attitude, healthy eating til then and keeping muscles ticking over. Sports massage booked for Thur morning. Went for lovely 1km swim this afternoon so will try and get a few more of those in this week.

As with DM08, I once again have a wedding to go to 2days before the marathon. Doesnt help as journey to Paris a slight bit longer than to Dub but sure what can you do. We get in to Beauvais at 3.20 so hopefully plenty time still to get to expo etc.

Im rambling so I'll stop.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

how?/did? paris go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

how?/did? paris go?
    see weekend roll call on main forum

• Advertisement

Hi lads,
    Thanks for asking bout Paris. Yeah I'v posted over on the "Roll call for weekend" thread. The race was tough. There were tunnels which Id rather not go through again but all in all still enjoyed the day.

Nursing a cold, coldsore, blisters and sick stomach after it but sure tis all worth it! Now just the frikkin PhD to get off this list!

Sounds like you are run down MarieC, take it easy. A few days off and focus on the 'frikkin phD' :) Good stuff on the Marathon, I know you didn't hit your intended goal but the experience will stand to you. Maybe I'll hook up with you for a run during the summer

mariec. u mentioned on some other post about teh clare 10km.
    can u tell me whats it like.
    is it a properly measured course? numbers? hill/flat? general thoughts. thanks im looking to run a 10km sometime around end of june ! thanks

is it a properly measured course? numbers? hill/flat? general thoughts. thanks im looking to run a 10km sometime around end of june ! thanks

Hi manfromatlantis

Im from Clare so Im slightly biased on this one. The run is only 4yrs old this year but is growing every year. It starts on a pitch and the exit out from this is a little rocky and grassy but once out you are on the road and off you go. It goes through a small bit of the town, traffic is only closed off in the direction of the run so cars will still be coming against you. I wouldnt count it as a hilly run at all really, none that stand out in my mind. In the last mile or two the roads get quite narrow but the race includes a lot of fun runners so if you are doing any decent speed Id say you'd be ok and not slowed down.

Numbers? I think around 1200 last year if I remember correctly.
    Hills? None of significance.
    water station - half way mark, water in cups.
    measured - as far as Im aware yes it is a properly measured course. I know alot of reputable local athletes take part in it so it isn't completely amateur.

Hope this is of help to you. Remember though I am biased ;)

G'wan the Banner! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hi MarieC,
    I didn't realise you were a Banner exile like myself :D....when is the 10 k on, I might look into it, is this the one that starts in Lee's road?

• Advertisement

Id promised myself that I wouldn't let the PhD rule everything but I cant see how it isn't possibel for that to happen. Fair enough I was sick last week after PM and still have sore throat, stuffy nose but getting no exercise these days. Aside from teh time factor, all my mental energy is going on the PhD now. So here I am in college after a pre-packed sandwich for dinner and while the work is getting done, I hate not exercising but I just cant affor to give away any mental energy at the moment.............. ay ay ay!! there's no winning!

Working towards a deadline for tomorrow so Im hoping some things can get back on track next week. Tsskkk

Sunday April 19th

4miles (approx) along the beach at portmarnock at 9min/mile pace. Nice to get out and it was a beautiful day for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

MarieC wrote: »
    Sunday April 19th

4miles (approx) along the beach at portmarnock at 9min/mile pace. Nice to get out and it was a beautiful day for it.
    Great spot to run, have run lots of miles along that beach in my day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Getting bigger every year. It is a certified course and does attract a few good runners. Actually marathon legend Steve Jones ran last year!
    http://www.clare10k.com/
    Seamus Power won it last year and his other half won the ladies (Emer Martin I think)

Tue April 21st

A lovely 2.5mile run along by the river in UL. After 4 or 5hrs of PhD induced tears it was a welcome relief.

Tue 28th April
    Headed for a 3miler this morning but hadn't done that route in a long time and its actually 4 and a bit miles (map my run says 4.38miles). managed it in 37:17 which is sub 9min/mile so happy with that as not been training regularly recently.

u doing dcm09? maybe u need to get paris out of your system. ps clare 10km is my target for a pb in that race distance. hope its all down hill...;)

u doing dcm09? maybe u need to get paris out of your system. ps clare 10km is my target for a pb in that race distance. hope its all down hill...;)

I dont think I should do DM09. Its the PhD I need to get out of my system so shorter distances for me over the next while. Im going to try and do some decent training now for Clare, I really enjoy that run.

Are you doing it? Whats your PB target for Clare?

pb a ce moment pb 10km 49:30. but i know ive been goin well in training recently so i reckon i'd be about 47 min today?? soooooooooo by end of june all going well would love to break 45 mins.(or maybe 44 ssshh !) how bout you. pb?

soooooooooo by end of june all going well would love to break 45 mins.(or maybe 44 ssshh !) how bout you. pb?

For me I have never come close to a sub 50 for a 10k so that would be my goal. Dont know if I can do it in June but we will see. Something to aim for and work towards anyway.

• Advertisement

Wed April 29th

Im confused.....I have only been running about once a week for the last month or so. Went for my longest run since the marathon on Tuesday and repeated it yesterday. Its only 4.3miles. On Tue I did it in 37:17 and yesterday I managed it in 35:38. That is 8.67 and 8.48min/mile pace.....I dont feel like Im killing myself at all on the runs but these times are the best I've done in a good while but I dont quite understand how...........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Racing Flats guide to your best marathon, thread started by amadeus explains that this is often the case - you do some very good times 5 to 6 weeks post marathon.

it makes sense to me - you ve done serious mileage and are much fitter having done one and now you ve had a break your fresh also. fit and fresh = good times

Sun May 3rd

40ish min run in Phoenix park. Boyfriend picked the route and all that was missing was Rocky theme music in the background! Tough route but a great workout. Only thing that hurted during was my stomach. The nausea and cramps came after....... Im guessing the route was approx 4.5miles.

Wed 6th May

Lovely 3miler last night. the rain had stopped and every where smelt lovely and fresh. Felt brilliant running, some of my other runs take more effort but felt like I was really running and powering it. Forgot to bring my watch but sure how bad, twas lovely and thats where my priority is at the moment!

Tue May 12th

Lovely 6.46 miles by the river in UL. Took me 56:05 which I was v.happy with. It works out at 8.68min/mile. Considering I was taking it handy and stomach had been in bits the day previously, and Im only getting to run once a week its not too bad

MarieC wrote: »
    Tue May 12th

Lovely 6.46 miles by the river in UL. Took me 56:05 which I was v.happy with. It works out at 8.68min/mile. Considering I was taking it handy and stomach had been in bits the day previously, and Im only getting to run once a week its not too bad

Would have loved to do that run yesterday evening but I was stuck in College all night boooo. Hows the PhD coming along?

MCOS wrote: »
    Hows the PhD coming along?

Hi MCOS, well done on your first Triathlon by the way! Very impressive!

PhD is causing me serious grief, anxiety, stress and anything else you feel like throwing in there. Think I've a stomach ulcer actually...waiting on an endoscope and ultrasound.

PhD's are not fun...................:(

Wed May 13th

3miles on campus. Felt good and was all fired up so was hoping for 25:30 or there about but came in at 26:46. I dont understand that as felt Id pushed myself more than the day before but that pace was .26min/mile faster:confused: ... Still it was a good run and 3miles is still 3miles.

Thur 14th May

3miles handy as was feeling a little flopsy. Nice run all the same. Twas nice rain to run in if that makes sense :)

• Advertisement

16th May Saturday
    Lovely 6miler by the river. It was like a scene from rocky with the rain and the muck so felt v.exhilerated afterwards! Took approx 52:40, 8.78min/mile. Not too shabby ;)

Advertisement