Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Tuesday May 19th

Back to the gym, havnt been there in a while. Did core work-out. Push-ups, medicine ball twists, sit-ups, hanging leg raises, front and lateral bridges, and a few more things that I cant remember the names of! Getting my programme re-done tomorrow for one that has me in bits after a workout!

Wed May 20th

2.5miler down by the river. Brought a newbie for their first run so time was not a priority. Nice run, think we both enjoyed it!

May 21st

Had appt. this morning to get my gym programme updated. I go to the gym just for the core but found it got too easy too fast. So got it updated a bit with a few things chopped and changed. Did it then and the difference was that I actually had to half alot of the reps cos it hurt so much! Feel the burn! :P It was great cos I wanted an intense core work-out and thats what I have now plus identified areas for improvement. Will try and do it twice a week, if I could keep that up Id be happy.

Workout includes:

Abs wheel
    Swiss ball crunches
    Hanging leg raises
    Lateral bridges
    Lowering raised legs (cant remember technical name)
    Sit-ups (full ones!:eek:)
    Medicine ball twists
    Squirms (the munster rugby team do them apparently! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

MarieC wrote: »
    May 21st

Squirms (the munster rugby team do them apparently! :))

wonder what Leinster do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

wonder what Leinster do ?
    beat munster when it matters? ha ha just kidding!! i ll get slated for that no doubt

• Advertisement

Ah dont bring up the past! especially when it is so painful!! :(
    I for one will be shouting for Leinster tomorrow, no sour grapes here ;)

dont mind kennyb, they're all the same up that way.

mind you, did'nt connacht beat munster too. this year.
    there ends my knowledge of rugby.

Fri May 22nd

2.5mile run by river with newbie. We knocked 6minutes of Wednesdays time so there's definite improvement. I went back out straight after and ran it again myself at 9min/mile pace. Beautiful weather for it and all refreshed now :)

Saturday May 23rd

Even though exhasuted I was itching to get to the gym for a core workout. Did it and enjoyed it. Find it hard to take it slow to make sure doing everything right but definitely worth it. Slowly building up the exercises, will be interesting to see how long it takes until I can do the fully planned workout

Tue May 26th

Gym for core workout session. Went well and definitely feel like Im improving overall. The Lowering leg exercise kills me though- its so flippin slow! Also I am slightly embarrassed putting a positive tilt on the sit-up machine but will try get over that.

• Advertisement

Wed May 27th

Gym session on wed night. Definitely feeling the burn with this programme but also feeling myself improve after every session so thats great :)

Thur May 28th

Lovely 2.5miler along by the river. Not a very long or testing run but just lovely for relaxing and stretching the legs.

Gym core workout session after this. Must say I love exercise - it keeps me sane!!

Fri May 29th

Mental busy day but fitted in gym session as know I wont have access to a gym again til next week.

Sat May 30th

After 5hrs housework, 1.5hr cutting the lawn I went off for a 4miler around the block. It was 7 o'clock in the evening so most of the heat was gone. Everywhere looked idyllic, had Coldplay on on the i-pod, did my 4miles in 34:10 which is just above 8.5min/mile so couldnt have been happier :)

Sun May 31st

The guilt got to me and even though my stomach was off I went for a 4miler around the block at 10p.m with the dog. It was still bright and the moon was out to keep us company. Guinness (the dog) has been out of training so he spent most of it trying to keep up with me. my stomach was in bits so that didnt help matters at all - didn't know if I was gonna puke or have a sonia moment but made it home anyway in 35:57. Even tho stomach was in knots was still glad I did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Marie - too lazy to trawl back on your posts. What 2 marathons are you doing? Are you running Dublin and if so what is your schedule please. Thx

buck65 wrote: »
    Marie - too lazy to trawl back on your posts. What 2 marathons are you doing? Are you running Dublin and if so what is your schedule please. Thx

Hi Buck65. I was hoping to do Connemara in March and Paris 2 weeks later. Common sense prevailed and I did the half in connemara and the full in paris so by right I've reached my quota for 2009 already! Im half thinking of doing Dublin though, but it depends on what state Im in as I hope to have submitted the PhD 1st draft a week or two previous. I used the Hal Higdon Novice programme for Dublin last year and stuck to it. Thought it was excellent and set v.realistic mileage targets for me.

Whats your plan/hopes running-wise?

Hi Marie
    Training for the Achill half in July, well behind on time though, had the flu and a bizarre leg injury where an old wound reopened for no reason and became infected! All said I lost about 4 weeks in prep so am rushing it a bit. Also ran the Ballycotton 10 in March. Will use Achill for a barometer for a marathon in the Autumn. If it goes ok I will go for it , if I struggle and get sick again I will stick to the shorter races. For some reason my system crashes after long runs.

buck65 wrote: »
    For some reason my system crashes after long runs.

Hows ur nutrition/diet? Getting enough rest?

Rest - not really , we had a baby in Novemeber but things settling a bit now.
    Nutrition is ok, do take supplements etc. diet is middling - good Mon to Thurs but weekend is takeaways - restaurant (if lucky) etc.

• Advertisement

Im far from an expert - on running or nutrition but I would think you may need to look more carefully at what you are eating in general, and moreso when following a training programme. Also, try to do ur longer runs if/when u know uv a good chance of getting decent rest after it.

I know when I was training for DM08 I was sleeping great and needed my sleep to keep me able to train. its not all about mileage, the body is the motor so u hav to respect and mind it.:o

Tue June 2nd

Yikes its June already! Scary biscuits!
    Gym session to work on this stubborn core. Lovely walk at lahinch later on then :D

Wed June 3rd

Lovely 2.5miler by the river. Actually think it may be a little longer but anyway... took 24:30 in the heat yesterday at 4pm. brilliant run cos talked my PhD out loud to myself to help things make sense. Run was good, got some theories sorted but tummy was nauseous after :(

MarieC wrote: »

brilliant run cos talked my PhD out loud to myself to help things make sense. Run was good, got some theories sorted but tummy was nauseous after :(

hope it was just out loud to yourself !! someone running in that heat might attract 'the men in white coats'.:p............but someone running in that heat and spouting all sorts of intelligent/weird things.......well !!!!!!:eek:

:o
    hope it was just out loud to yourself !! someone running in that heat might attract 'the men in white coats'.:p............but someone running in that heat and spouting all sorts of intelligent/weird things.......well !!!!!!:eek:

:p I actually talked out loud, not just to myself in my head. Sometimes vocalising it is the only way to try and get it to make sense....and if thats the case I could be spending a lot of the next few months running solo by the river talking wierd rubbish out loud!! :o

Thur Jun 4th

Core session in the gym. Im over my paranoia about the abs sit-up thingy and really enjoy them. Gym session for 35min

Fri Jun 5th

Core session in the gym. Gym session for 35min. Apparently I've put on .3kg this week. I know Im focusing on toning up and muscle is heavier than fat but still Im fairly good with what I eat so a little annoyed. On a more positive note, Rosemary ryan was in the gym. I was a little star struck :)

i just reg for the clare 10km. just wondering if you got any correspondence from them or is there a list up of registered people. dont see anything on website.
    i just noticed (after registering !!) that closing date is 12th June?/ thanks.

i just reg for the clare 10km. just wondering if you got any correspondence from them or is there a list up of registered people. dont see anything on website.
    i just noticed (after registering !!) that closing date is 12th June?/ thanks.

Not sure what the story is with them. I haven't had any correspondance yet from them, as its on in 10 days Id hope we'd be hearing from them soon, I presume like other years they will post out our packs.......

• Advertisement

yep. just heard they will send out tshirt chip etc in days before race.

Advertisement