Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Tue 23rd June

almost 3miler. felt like i was going slow but did 2.84miles in 24:30 so happy enough with that. Stomach in ribbons before end of it and it bits for rest of night. Endoscope tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey MarieC, Its been ages since Ive had a chance to catchup with peoples logs.. im impressed with your training consistency from the past few pages, it puts me to shame! I feel your pain with all the crap that goes with a PhD, wouldn't wish it on anyone.. hope you get sorted tomorrow, hang in there!

Hi Kingquez, thanks for the words of encouragement, always nice to hear, especially when things are going crap! Endoscope didnt show anything so I think Im just gonna keep running, pain or no pain. How are you getting on re. training and PhD? You're finished it aren't you?

Wed July 8th

3miles in 24:30. Felt good and stomach not too dodge.

Thur July 9th

Ok the 3miles is actually 2.84 but gonna round it up slightly. Did this route last night in 24:30 and tonight I did it in 23:41 so whatever the distance I did it 49seconds faster so happy days! Quite happy with that considering not getting consistent training in these days but my times are alot better than this time last year and Im at my lightest in a very long time. Saying that there's still a good few lb's that could do with disappearing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

MarieC wrote: »
    Thur July 9th

Ok the 3miles is actually 2.84 but gonna round it up slightly. Did this route last night in 24:30 and tonight I did it in 23:41 so whatever the distance I did it 49seconds faster so happy days! Quite happy with that considering not getting consistent training in these days but my times are alot better than this time last year and Im at my lightest in a very long time. Saying that there's still a good few lb's that could do with disappearing! :)

Good work, down to 8' miles, plenty of core work.. nice to feel like you have progressed on the last 12 months :)

Thanks MCOS. I guess it is good to know that I am improving but I miss the obsessiveness of training for DM08. Just cant committ to that this year with PhD looming.......

Did my first run this week in about a month. study, second endoscope and holidays in china have certainly tailored my time for running!

Just a gentle 3miler. Felt like I was going at a good pace but was a 9miler so little disappointed but not that surprised.

Scared to update how far I've run this year to see how far Ive fallen down the rankings...........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Hi MarieC,
    I've been to a couple of seminars/training courses in the last month and a certain Marie Cxxxxx has been credited with some of the research into Listeria monocytogenes, just wondering if this is you, or am I completely off the mark?

eliwallach wrote: »
    Hi MarieC,
    I've been to a couple of seminars/training courses in the last month and a certain Marie Cxxxxx has been credited with some of the research into Listeria monocytogenes, just wondering if this is you, or am I completely off the mark?

Heehee, my alter ego has been keeping busy! No Im afraid that isn't my field at all. Now if she branches off in to martensitic transformations in superalloys well then its me! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Marie, How is the PhD coming along? Did I read somewhere that you are thinking about Dublin marathon?

Hi Bally8,

I was entertaining the notion of running DM09 but I've come to my senses and realised it wold be pure torture. I am not getting any running done these days so will aim for a happy little 10k funrun in Dec to ease me back in to things. Fingers crossed for submitting PhD next week!! Its like a marathon itself!!

Oct 19th and 20th

Wow I did not think I would still be doing my PhD in Oct 2009. Anyway, such is life and here I am. After endless PhD meltdowns its kind of slowly coming to close. I decided last week that quality of life had gone to the dogs so I was going to reclaim it somewhat. Bought new runners on Friday and went running monday evening. Im unfit, sluggish, havent been eating as healthy as normal so it was a slow heavy 3miler in 33min. Was running with a friend so I ran the same route last night on my own to see how Id do. Managed it in 29:52. Felt v.heavy and tired. I cant expect to come back and still be fit so its just a matter of enjoying it and sticking with it.

I now know for sure that stomach nausea is definitely due to running and nothing else I do. Was in bits last night after the run cos of my stomach.... no idea why or what to do about it. Giving up running is not an option though.. 2 endoscopes have shown nadda.......

Wed 21st Oct

3miler with friend in 32:17. No stomach cramps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Hey Marie C. I bet you will be glad to when the phd is over and done with. I have a friend doing a masters close on 5 years i think and she hopes to be rid of it by xmas time. She can't wait for it to be done i'd say. All worth it though!

Oct 27th Tuesday

Uuuuugly day but then a beautiful evening for running! Ran 3miler with friend and it was fantastic - she knocked 1min45sec of her time from last week so was buzzing after it. 3miles in 31:01. Slowly but surely will get back to my old times but for now lovin being back running and enjoying it for what it is and all it has to offer :D

Oct 28th Wed

Super evening for running. Felt "flopsy" from before the run even started so there was v.little talking out of me. Thought the run wouldn't be as good as the previous night but we managed to knock 50sec off that time so happy days! 3miles in 30:08.

Went home and got my sugar fix and was sorted then :-)

Oct 30th

Good run but friend feeling tired so for her to finish without stopping was excellent. Did it in 30:09, only second off previous not so quite happy with progress :)

Very excited about this Limerick race series, see A/R/T events for details. Starting next Thrusday on UL campus so should be great!

Nov 1st Sunday

Well as Id decided Im slowly getting back to my speeds of last year, and so no pressure, just enjoyment. Did the regular route last night but brought the boyfriend and wow what a difference. He is signifcantly faster than me so instead of me being little miss motivator, I was on the receiving end of all the encouragement. Was a brilliant run cos really really pushed myself and to say I could feel the burn would be an understatement.

Did this run last Wed in 30:09, delighted with myself. Did it last night in 26 even. Back to sub 9min/miles :) Felt fantastic after it, was absolutely buzzing and no nausea whatsoever! Job well done by Mr. Motivator!:cool:

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hey Marie C. I bet you will be glad to when the phd is over and done with. I have a friend doing a masters close on 5 years i think and she hopes to be rid of it by xmas time. She can't wait for it to be done i'd say. All worth it though!

haha reading this there and realised it said masters instead of PHD. Sometimes i think i'm blond. You planning on doing many of the race seris?

• Advertisement

Hi ULstudent,

I was kinda wondeirng alright about your poor friend who was 5yrs doing her Masters!!

I plan to do as many of the race series as possible, all depends on how the first one goes really. I hope it does well cos Limerick badly needs organised events so fingers crossed!

How about you?

I would like to do as many as possible. It's going to be some sight going through the courtyard by spar! People will get some fright :D

Hopefully it goes down well and builds over the weeks.

I would like to do as many as possible. It's going to be some sight going through the courtyard by spar! People will get some fright :D

Hopefully it goes down well and builds over the weeks.

I know!!! Thank God its in the dark! Why we cant just go a bit after the courtyard and then turn right at the side of Java's I dont know........ should be interesting!

Mon Nov 2nd

Im starting a new trick on myself of trying to convince myself that the rain and wind and cold is actually fabulous and my favourite weather! We'll see how that goes! Eitherway it was a lovely evening for run, for the first evening since I've started back I felt like I was actually running if that makes sense. 3.24miles in 27:38 which is 8.56min/mile so Im getting back to old form :)

8:1 (8 runs, only 1 evening of post nausea)

October Fri 6th

I did the Limerick UL Rowing Race Series last night, it was Race # 1, 5k.

I loved this event! Thought it was well organised, very smooth affair. Had a stitch for at least 1k of it though so that didnt help, and Ive a bit of a cold but sure off we go! To top it all off I ran it in 24:56 - 7.85min/mile pace. My fastest run EVER bring on next Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wow Marie well done great time! I would love to be able to go along but Thursday evenings dont suit at the moment. Do you know if its ok to maybe just do the races in January? Were there many people there? Were they all fast like you or would there be slower plodders like me around too? Sorry for all the questions I just think its a great idea to have a race series in Limerick.

Well done Marie. That's great going. It's amazing what a race can do to ya isn't it?

Bally8 wrote: »
    Do you know if its ok to maybe just do the races in January?
    Were there many people there?
    Were they all fast like you or would there be slower plodders like me around too?

Hi Bally8-hope ur post marathon recovery is goingw well!

You definitely can do whichever of the 9 races that you want, just turn up on the night. Its a fiver a pop and well worth it. No obligation to do all 9, can do any of them.

Lovely crowd there - I think I heard someone say there was about 45 people there. Nice size actually, always people in front and behind you.

I was v.anxious in case it would be all crazy super-fit people but not at all. Definitely all runners, but of all levels, plenty plodders for sure. Lovely atmosphere anyway and people waited at the end so its not like you reached the finish line and they were at home by then!

Let me know sure if you are coming some night and I'll keep an eye out for ya;)

Well done Marie. That's great going. It's amazing what a race can do to ya isn't it?

Thanks ULstudent, was amazed at my time, I've never ran sub8 min/mile before and considering I got a stitch, and have a bit of a cold, I might even be able improve on that time. Watch this space :cool:

I was wondering alright why I can never get close to that time when out running on my own but the atmosphere/environment of a race is so totally different, fantastic to have 9 of theses races on our doorstep! :)

• Advertisement

Nov 7th Sat

Funniest run I've had in a while. I went home to Clare for the weekend and wow the weather was epic to say the least. Woke up saturday morning to a power cut due to all the thundering and lightening during the night. i knew it was an awful day for a run but I knew I had to run cos 1-it was on my to-do list and 2-I had all this nervous energy waiting to used up in a run (I always get antsy when I know I should/have to/am about to go running.

Was going to do a very short 2.6miler but hilly run but when I got to the turn for home it seemed way too short, I wasnt ready to go home, so I just kept running. Now this is out in the countryside. No footpaths, no "sides of the road, just grass in the middle as a divider, no "street" lights. I went after 4pm and hadnt planned on being gone too long cos I knew there wasnt much daylight left.

Well the next right turn that Id hoped there would be, sadly, did not exist. So I kept running, and running, and running, the stubbornness coupled with the fact that I was enjoying my "Rocky" moment made it seem like a mini-adventure. I just kept thinking that the next bend in the road would lead me home....It was getting dark, I had no clue where I was and eventually started to meet the odd car or two so I knew I was getting near civilisation.

Was aghast when I came out on to a main road, to realise I had ran to the other side of the parish! (I was a little way from home shall we say). Kept running and then decided that as there was no lights at all for the next 5miles I had better call it a day. Ran into the shop, used their phone and rang home for them to come collect me. It was funny cos I was actually more scared of my family going bonkers than running in the dark.

After all it turned to only be a 6.5ish mile run, but with hills, roughish terrain, a storm, and a race against daylight. A run I wont forget for a little while.

The Mammy wants to buy me Sat Nav for Christmas :)

Advertisement