Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB WALL CHARGERS?? such a thing?

• 20-11-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hey there,

So I have a few USB MP3 players that I need to charge on a daily basis. BUt I wont have access to a computer or laptop with USB ports.

IS there a product for charging USB products in normal wall plug sockets?

If there is, are there any multiple USB ones? and where might I find one?

Many thanks!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes, my daughter has one. I think it came from Dixons

One here
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/10521.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I bought one in tesco's not long ago...really cheap(sth like 7euro...). Has a cig-lighter adapter for in car use and an ordinary wall plug...use it for various devices from mp3player to wm pda...no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This €3.40 delivered
    or
    this €1.90 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm always a bit scared using mine though.
    Phone only needs about 5v, the wall is throwing out 220v, and all that's between them is a USB lead (which does nothing voltage wise I assume) and the wall plug.
    Anyone know how they work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Ecocabbie

ah so they do exist!! Thank you both.

Anyone ever seen one which can charge multiple USBs at once? (that might be pushing it!)

Which Tescos? Ill defo give that a try thanks again

• Advertisement

davton wrote: »
    This €3.40 delivered
    or
    this €1.90 delivered

looks good!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

long_b wrote: »
    I'm always a bit scared using mine though.
    Phone only needs about 5v, the wall is throwing out 220v, and all that's between them is a USB lead (which does nothing voltage wise I assume) and the wall plug.
    Anyone know how they work ?
    Its works just the same as any other MP3/phone charger works except it has a USB adapter instead of a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i assume you can just use a cheap usb hub???
    €2 in €2shop

metalfest wrote: »
    i assume you can just use a cheap usb hub???
    €2 in €2shop

Really? Ive never seen these...

HAve you seen them in a particular 2e shop?
    ill check it out tomorrow

Ecocabbie wrote: »
    Really? Ive never seen these...

HAve you seen them in a particular 2e shop?
    ill check it out tomorrow
    no, like...get a wall usb charger from ebay for really cheap.....like one of these......

then connect it to one of these maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

USB is becoming such a standard now, that in time you'll find USB ports on your wall socket next to the usual 3 pin arrangement. Most of the mobile manufacturers have now agreed to have mini-USB chargers as standard in future.

metalfest wrote: »
    no, like...get a wall usb charger from ebay for really cheap.....like one of these......

then connect it to one of these maybe?

ah i see, yea that could work. Cheers

no prob, it probably should work...you can buy those usb hubs in tesco....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's only 500mA of current coming through most USB wall chargers, which is enough to charge 1 device. If you split it with a mini unpowered hub, you're not going to charge anything.

If you want to buy something that charges multiple devices you'll need a powered USB hub, or alternatively, a wall charger with more than 1 USB port. I got one from the o2 store which comes with 2 ports, and plenty of adaptors for worldwide travel. It outputs 1 full amp too which means you can simultaneously charge 2 devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Note the one i referred to earlier is 1amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ned78 wrote: »
    There's only 500mA of current coming through most USB wall chargers, which is enough to charge 1 device. If you split it with a mini unpowered hub, you're not going to charge anything.

If you want to buy something that charges multiple devices you'll need a powered USB hub, or alternatively, a wall charger with more than 1 USB port. I got one from the o2 store which comes with 2 ports, and plenty of adaptors for worldwide travel. It outputs 1 full amp too which means you can simultaneously charge 2 devices.

Sounds handy. Whats it look like, which 02 store etc.

Advertisement