Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers to settle fued by having a bare knuckle boxing fight

• 20-11-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard on the Last Word on Today FM that the fueding travellers in Waterford are going to settle the fued by having a bare knuckle boxing match. The article is in the Examiner today (although not online that I can see)

This beggars belief. Wasnt it bare knuckle boxing that started the whole thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If 10 mins on a piece of waste ground ends this, then fine!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Maybe its best to let them sort it out between themselves..

I know its not the right answer but can you see a garda jumpin into the middle of this? If these boyos are arrested, you think this will stop them?

At least this way, there are no innocents getting involved here... Might not stop the feud but i'd prefer this to TRY and stop it rather than it continuing at the risk of Gardai and civvies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Wonder if it'll be on Setanta sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Meatwad wrote: »
    Wonder if it'll be on Setanta sports?
    :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

pikeys are soft old ****es none of them every won a olpix medal or a professional fight there dirty using bottles
    what would you expext from inbreeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

dennistuam wrote: »
    pikeys are soft old ****es none of them every won a olpix medal or a professional fight there dirty using bottles
    what would you expext from inbreeds

Banned.

Guys, it couldn't be any clearer. Bans will be handed out for any insulting posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

This is on the front page of this week's News & Star along with a photo of 3 of them posing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I've no problem with it. If it stops all this madness, then so be it. So long as nobody gets seriously harmed in the fight.. And I've seen my fair share of traveller fights. When the fight is over, it's over. There's none of those jumping in nonsense. They shake hands and they are done.. Which is why this feud is strange in the first place as generally fights are used as settlers, and not for starting off another fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its in the paper as well. Cant recall which one.. Three tough looking lads on the front page.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

dazftw wrote: »
    Its in the paper as well. Cant recall which one.. Three tough looking lads on the front page.

news & star

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yeah heard this this evening as well, however what they did state is that a bare knuckle fight also started all this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Is this for real...?

....are we allowed to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You can send e5.00 to me in lieu of a license.
    I will send it on to RTE so they can train Mark Little to stop gesticulating so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can listen to the discussion about this on Matt Coopers show
    by downloading the file here right click save as, it starts at 18.mins 40 seconds.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Wasn't this what started it in the first place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I'd say it'd be entertaining to watch. but the idea this is going to settle anything is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

well and good if it sorts out all the trouble ,
    but the news and star glorifying it with a full colour front page is a disgrace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

j walsh wrote: »
    well and good if it sorts out all the trouble ,
    but the news and star glorifying it with a full colour front page is a disgrace.

Was shocked at that. Isnt that type of fighting illegal in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Sully wrote: »
    Was shocked at that. Isnt that type of fighting illegal in the first place?
    What, shocked at travellers involved in illegal activity?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

spadder wrote: »
    What, shocked at travellers involved in illegal activity?

Shocked at the front page headline in the News & Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

from my understanding this all started when the upstanding citizens who lost the original fight wouldn't pay the nice folks who won. the losing side, instead of paying the aforementioned nice folks, then broke out the machete's and the rest is a tit for tat lesson in history.
    if it was people reneging on a deal in the first fight that caused most of this, how can anyone expect the outcome of this to be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Have to laugh at the bans for the insulting posts. Are you expecting travellers to sue? Get real guys.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to laugh at the bans for the insulting posts. Are you expecting travellers to sue? Get real guys.

why should boards.ie be held liable for a poster acting a retard and posting comments that could leave boards.ie open to legal action. At the end of the day its easier ban the poster who's acting the retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

did you not ever hear of solictitors booking weddings in hotels for them?
    thats because if they refuse then they can take legal action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Actually the travelling community, have sued a numerous businesses and people, for discrimination.
    Also due to the fact that Boards.ie are legally responsible for all material published on their website, it makes perfect sense for Boards.ie to err on the side of caution and keep muppetry comments from getting them into trouble..
    grow up, if you don't like the rules move on, I for one don't want to see boards.ie ruined because of stupid comments and racism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you expecting travellers to sue?

They know more about the law then you or me.
    And I say having seen a hotel I worked in getting sued under the Equality act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Slightly off topic but you have to laugh at boards/googles content based advertising on this topic!

Maybe the parties involved have a recording deal as well as the print one with the news and star
    fht.jpg

Boards is held responsible for everybodys post. If you say something stupid about someone, a group, or business which is slanderous or breaches the law in some way it falls back onto the site owners (its Irish Law). Hence why all of boards has a fairly strict policy on such posts and we constantly have to clean up threads full of abuse and slanderous comments. Understand the frustration but we can have the same conversation without going down the dodgy route.

Besides, the last time we let a conversation run with such comments being thrown around it turned into a massive bitch fest where people got personal with other posts and made various insulting and abusive comments towards them and were talking about going "vigilante" on travellers. Sorry, but we aint going down that route again :p

Yes, as you can see by comments above, travellers are very well known to sue and win.

Jambo: Nicely captured!

Anyway, lets swing back onto topic. Hope that explained it and if not - feel free to drop me or one of the mods a PM :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well that answers that! See how I let other posters do the work for you mods!! ;)

Well played!

Advertisement