Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Failed - Need Feedback

• 20-11-2008 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Ok Failed NCT today Looked for some feedback.

1995 Nissan Primera

1) Exhaust Emissions

Engine/Oil Temperature 80 ºC

Low Idle
    (690 rpm)
    CO 0.15 vol % PASS(Above 0.5% = Fail)
    HC 0 ppm PASS(Above 0 ppm= Fail)

High Idle
    (2850 rpm)

Lamba 0.824 FAIL/REFUSAL (Between 0.97 and 1.03 = Fail)
    CO 6.36 vol% FAIL/REFUSAL above 0.3 % fail
    HC 209 ppm FAIL/REFUSAL above 200 ppm fail

Any ideas on this?? Catalytic converter??

2) Visual Defects

i) Bodywork Primary Structural Corrosion - Boot Floor
    ii) Bodywork Secondary Strucural Corrosion - Bootlid
    iii)Bodywork Secondary Strucural Corrosion - Panels - Middle Rear
    iv) Brake Lines/ Hose - Advanced Corrosion

i) Whats an acceptable repair for this ???? Theres 2 small holes ones a couple of mm the others not quite an inch in different parts. Its where the wheel is kept theres a circle of rust blothces here and there. I presume if I dremel them to the metal, paint with rust remedy and paint and solder the 2 holes.

ii & iii) Ok this baffled me because the exact same rust was on the bootlid last time and passed its actually better as I put some rust remedy on it I obviously got a fuss pot I presume if I dremel again rustremedy and paint and fill small hole with solder or fibre glass.

iv) Haven't inspected this but i'd imagine that Ill have top change the brakehose.

Cheers for the help Lads! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Ok Failed NCT today Looked for some feedback.

High Idle
    (2850 rpm)

Lamba 0.824 FAIL/REFUSAL (Between 0.97 and 1.03 = Fail)
    CO 6.36 vol% FAIL/REFUSAL above 0.3 % fail
    HC 209 ppm FAIL/REFUSAL above 200 ppm fail

Well its running rich on high idle low voltage on lambda indicates rich mixture. No matter what its going to probably cost more than the car is worth to have this corrected . First port of call would be to run some good fuel system cleaner through and see if the high idle will come back within limits if that fails then your looking at expensive diagnostic time and probably changing the o2 sensor first, make sure to bring it to a technican or garage equipped with a four gas analysor or your wasting your time.But i have got great results using fuel system cleaners as even the slightest blockage on an injector will effect the spray pattern and lead to high emissions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get yourself another car for the few hundred it will cost to fix yours. You will even get one without rust im sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Cheers I guess I'll not bother with a retest. I'll take my chances with no NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

are you kidding :eek: get you brakes sorted at least - whatever about the rest

you could just buy one http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1182906

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes dont be driving around with dodgy bake lines, I had brake lines burst twice in my motoring career to date and its not funny. The brake line will let go when the most pressure is on it i.e. when you are trying to stop in a hurry

Also primera in above post in cheap, its even a newer model than yours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I also failed an NCT today for "Corroded Brake Pipes" and when myself and the garage put it on the hoist and looked under it the corrosion was more like a rust stain.

The NCT are now being instructed to fail more cars to increase revenues to prop up the Fianna Fail builder's mafia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,667 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you joking? :eek:

That car is a death trap. If it was mine, I'd have it scrapped before the NCT report finished printing.

unkel wrote: »
    Are you joking? :eek:

That car is a death trap. If it was mine, I'd have it scrapped before the NCT report finished printing.

Death trap?? How do you make that out. It had a corroded pipe last time it done its NCT on the front which was fixed

Its only got one corroded break pipe which I am going to fix. I'm not bothering fixing the emissions.I'd a corsa years ago which I had awful trouble passing on this and stupidly put money into it. I've already dremelled the rust (all internal) from the boot and treated with rust remedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Barr

Any idea why the rust developed ..are you leaving by the sea or something ? is it an import

Barr wrote: »
    Any idea why the rust developed ..are you leaving by the sea or something ? is it an import

Nope Irish car, but do an awful lot of driving the cars got 190,000 miles. The inside of the boot may have got some water the wheel holder, and there on surface rust on most parts.

The boot lids been like that since I remember its just a small patch of surface rust.

• Advertisement

Its only got one corroded break pipe which I am going to fix.

Apologies. I thought you meant you'd just drive the car as is. Still, I'd scrap it though. As others said, for a couple of hundred you could get a sound enough car without any of the above problems. And there's the chance of a €1,500 fine for not having a valid NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Barr

JoeySully wrote: »
    are you kidding :eek: get you brakes sorted at least - whatever about the rest

you could just buy one http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1182906

Thats a nice car for €650

Id would'nt run the risk of being caught with no NCT. Scrap it or use it for parts

Apologies. I thought you meant you'd just drive the car as is. Still, I'd scrap it though. As others said, for a couple of hundred you could get a sound enough car without any of the above problems. And there's the chance of a €1,500 fine for not having a valid NCT.

No bothers ;) .I've an NCT on it til Jan so I'll see what i'll do then. I'm aware of the risk fortunately its hit and miss on the garda enforcement end. ALthough the primera was a trouble free car I'm looking for something with a bit more poke next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

If the rust on the boot floor isnt visable from the underside of the car, what i'd do is:

Treat the surface with anti-rust treatment, got to a motor factors and ask for ''Sound Deading Pads'', basically what it is, is a stick black rubber mat that will cover the rust thus pass nct.

The bootlid i'd really have to see to pass comment on how to fix it.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    If the rust on the boot floor isnt visable from the underside of the car, what i'd do is:

Treat the surface with anti-rust treatment, got to a motor factors and ask for ''Sound Deading Pads'', basically what it is, is a stick black rubber mat that will cover the rust thus pass nct.

The bootlid i'd really have to see to pass comment on how to fix it.

I've removed all the surface rust in the boot in about 30minutes I grinded down to metal with a dremel before it got dark and put rust remedy on it. I got some paint from halfords with my paint code I'm sure its not spot on but it will do for the wheel well! I just need to fill 2 small holes. I'll not put money into getting the emissions sorted, but as the throw away society we are i'd hate to scrap a perfectly good car for a few bits I can resolve myself. The boots lids surface rust but absolutely no bearing on the safety aspect of the car! (its beside the lock!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I've removed all the surface rust in the boot in about 30minutes I grinded down to metal with a dremel before it got dark and put rust remedy on it. I just need to fill 2 small holes. I'll not put money into getting the emissions sorted, but as the throw away society we are i'd hate to scrap a perfectly good car for a few bits I can resolve myself. The boots lids surface rust but absolutely no bearing on the safety aspect of the car! (its beside the lock!)

Jaysus they must be failing Merc's left right and centre so!!

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Jaysus they must be failing Merc's left right and centre so!!

It passed on that time actually it was worse I'd treated it! I got a fussy old sod there was 2 NCTS done in the other 3 bays for my one (I know some may have been retests!)

Well I passed today didn't cost me much to put right as I done most the labour myself.

1) Changed Catalytic Convertor - €85 to my door from cats4less.co.uk (free plug :D) (Some dose getting those old bolts off!)

2) Rust grinded with dremel and treated with rust remedy and floor and boot sprayed. (Had all the paint and bits for this already)

3) Clutch Pedal Rubber - 8 quid from Nissan (Robbery!)

4) Brake Hose - €39 19euro for hose (Mechanic said the old hose is perfect and didn't think I should change it) but he changed it for me labour 20 quid + his 20quid christmas 'bonous'!!

Braking, Suspension is perfect in the car according to the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Fair play, now you can count down the days to the next one:D

Fair play and thanks for getting back to us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Fair play, I like to hear people getting their hands dirty and getting a car through the NCT for a few quid. When you go to other countrites and see how they hold on to their cars for decades it really makes you question our attitude of throwing them away when they need any work. Well done.

Fair play, now you can count down the days to the next one:D
    Fair play and thanks for getting back to us!
    Fair play, I like to hear people getting their hands dirty and getting a car through the NCT for a few quid. When you go to other countrites and see how they hold on to their cars for decades it really makes you question our attitude of throwing them away when they need any work. Well done.

Cheers lads. It's all legal now for 2 years! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Fair play to ya OP, he who dares wins!

Advertisement