Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-negotiating a selling price at the last minute!

Options
  • 20-11-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Myself and my partner had an offer accepted on a cottage in need of renovation in august and although the deal has been slowly going through since then we signed with the bank for the cheque for the agreed price last week. today the solictor rang to say the cheque had arrived less 10% which the bank are hlding back untill the renovations are complete which means we now need to find the extra 10% to close the deal .can we re negotiate the price at this late stage or if we pull out would we loose our deposit?
    all advice gladly accepted !
    Cheers A-E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Did the closing price include the renovations? e.g. Cottage cost €200,000, you have €10,000 deposit, need mortgage of €190,000. Renovations estimated to cost €20,000, and the bank is withholding 10% of the agreed price + renovations - deposit?

Have you closed on the deal (i.e. signed contracts)

This sounds a bit bizarre on the banks behalf.

What is your equity % on the cottage as it would stand if you got the whole amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hoppy

astrofool wrote: »
    Did the closing price include the renovations? e.g. Cottage cost €200,000, you have €10,000 deposit, need mortgage of €190,000. Renovations estimated to cost €20,000, and the bank is withholding 10% of the agreed price + renovations - deposit?

Have you closed on the deal (i.e. signed contracts)

This sounds a bit bizarre on the banks behalf.

What is your equity % on the cottage as it would stand if you got the whole amount?[/QUOTE

the the idea was that the bank loaned us the full asking price asking price on the property and the we remorgaged an existing property for the renovation cost! but we hadnt intended drawing on the second mortgage until the renovations began in about 3 months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

If your contract included a "subject to loan" clause you might be able to get out of it without forfeiting your deposit. If you have a loan offer from the bank they should notbe introducing new conditions at the last minute. threaten the banking ombudsman on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hoppy

apprently it was in the small print but at no stage did the mortgage guy in the bank mention this!

Advertisement