Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breastfeeding

Options
  • 20-11-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

i was just wondering how long the sore nipples thing lasts. mine are really sore, i have tried creams and they do nothing, and it is even worse when i go out in the cold. if it doesnt go soon i am seriously considering stopping breastfeeding totally. my daughter is 6 weeks old now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you tried using nipples sheilds to have your nipples a chance to heal up ?
    Well done on having done 6 weeks so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nipple_shield_(breastfeeding)

Most chemist and certain boots stock them

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

i tried that link, i think it's dead, or i deaded it :)

i just googled nipple shields, i dont think she will eat at all if i try them cos she hates bottles and these look very much like they would have the same texture as teats from bottles, its the teat of the bottle that she gets annoyed with and she just refuses to let me put the teat in her mouth, she is a stubborn little thing.

I would suggest trying them as the smell of the milk, of you and of your breasts may encourage her. Have you tried leaving your nipples exposed after feeding to the air as the is ment to be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I know it's not answering your question pixiestix, i just wanted to say well done on breast feeding in the first place. Even with all the support in the world from my mother who breast fed all of us, i couldint manage it.

It really is a wonderful gift to your child, fair play to you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

make sure you wash them after every feed and just some vasoline cos sometimes the milk itself will make nipples crack. How long it will last will depend on your skin, some wemon it lasts about a month ... others they dont get rid of it.

Congrats and well done on lasting 6 weeks. I would give the nipple shield a go before stopping... what harm could it do to try:)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

pixiestix - by 6 weeks they shouldn't be so sore, or should only be sore at the beginning of a feed.

Have you had anyone check your latch? It could be that your baby isn't latching well - La Leche League or your local breastfeeding support group or public health nurse can check for you.

Are they sore, or is there a kind of prickly itch? Do you have any other pain in the breast, like shards of glass? If so it could be thrush - if your baby has thrush (you can see kind of pearly white in their mouth) they can pass on to you if you're breastfeeding.

Try not to use the creams every time you feed as they tend to soften the nipple, whereas they need to toughen up (sounds awful but it'll happen quickly!). You could always feed the baby from only one side at each feed and leave the other to heal a little.

THe first 6 weeks are the toughest - well done on sticking it out to now. Kellymom (www.kellymom.com) is a great website for any breastfeeding questions. Feel free to PM if you need to, I'm breastfeeding for 5 months now and have had thrush, mastitus, cracked nipples the lot so might be able to answer any questions you have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Some people might disapprove of it but when I was sore sometimes I would express a bottle or two to give my nipples a chance to heal. It had the added bonus of making it easier to introduce bottles later on when i needed to go to work. Try different bottles too if she doesnt like one type. I used the haberman feeder bottles that the baby whisperer recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If I can remember correctly it took about 2 months for the pain to go with each of my babies.

Thrush was my first thought when I read your post. Check your baby's mouth and bum for it. I had that with my second boy and I can remember the pain on feeding but it took a while for it to fully clear. If it is thrush make sure you keep applying the ointment for a minimum of a week after you think it has cleared. My son and I kept re-infecting each other.

Once I got past the painful stage of breastfeeding (often called the 4th stage of labour) I really enjoyed it and when my first lad was 6 months old I stopped when I was returning to work and I bawled my eyes out after I breastfed him for the last time. Second time round I stayed at home and breastfed for 15 months.

Like a lot of baby related queries things crop up during the night and I found it very helpful to phone the midwives in the post natal ward for advice. They were always very helpful.

cheers guys, i think i will give the nipple shields a try, i do love breastfeeding her cos she loves it, it calms her down and it's a good excuse to sit down and chill...lol

and it is seriously handy at night, rather than having to get bottles ready and sit up, i just lie her beside me and she feeds herself to sleep, so nipple shields will be on my next shoppin list and fingers crossed they work :)

thanks again for all the advice, hopefully i wont be back in this thread in a week nippleless and angry...lol

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote: »

Like a lot of baby related queries things crop up during the night and I found it very helpful to phone the midwives in the post natal ward for advice. They were always very helpful.

the mid wives in the ward i was in were rubbish, the "inmates" (its what we called ourselves cos we were treated like ****e) were coming to me for advice cos i am on baby number 3, it was awful. we were looking for advice on breastfeeding and were made to feel like we were taking up their precious time, and this was semi-private, so it was expensive too. i didnt breastfeed with my 1st 2 boys, but i am trying so hard this time to keep at it... sometimes i wish i could screw my boob off and put it away for a while in the fridge to let it cool off...hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cathy353

Took about 2 weeks for the sore nipple to go away. One of the nurses on the ward gave me a tip. Express a little milk yourself and rub it on your nipples to help them heal.

By 6 weeks breatfeeding was a breeze.

Good Luck and I hope they clear up soon.

Cathy353

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Congrats that you have got this far. I had the same problem. What I would advise is get a face cloth and seep in warm water for a minute or so. Place them over on your entire boob for a few minutes this will make feeding easier and reduce the sore nipples. Another tip it sometimes the baby might not be latched on right and cause this. Most maternities do have breastfeeding clinic once a week check with local maternity, and its free and you do get the 1 to 1 that I didn't get in the hospital either. Trust me there were brilliant, I was still sore from stitches and made an entire fuss of me. Lastly there is a great book called "What to expect from 0-12months" I swear its brillant literally because majority of the book includes the nursing mothers and really gets you into tune and feel some confidents your getting there. I would strongly suggest getting the book its my bible its about €20 in Eason(money well spent)!!! The very best of luck and enjoy it the experience!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Sorry those shields are for starting breastfeeding and not so good to encourage the hind milk-best part for baby. Baby will only get the fore milk you can get shields in most pharmacy's get the AVENT by philips standard size. My baby just a few weeks olders than yours, ring the Maternity because my baby was feeding wrong and I'm no expert but all be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was like Deisemum... I think it took 6-8 weeks before the pain stopped.

Sorry those shields are for starting breastfeeding and not so good to encourage the hind milk-best part for baby. Baby will only get the fore milk

That wasn't my experience of using them at all and they can be used until the nipple heals up and then retired.

pixiestix have you asked the health nurse if there is a breastfeeding support group near by that you could go along too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey pixie stix...

The best advice I can give you is to buy yourself some lanisoh h, its like a vaseline cream.... After every feed express a bit of your milk out and rub it into your nipples, allow it to dry in, the antibodies in the milk have great healing properties.. then put a bit of lanisoh onto your nipples,,

also check your latch the baby should not be sucking on just the pointy bit of the nipple.. try and get in as much of the aereola area, dark area around the nipple in as possible.

keep up the good work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Cabbage leaves!

I know it sounds bizzare, but it works!

Seperate all the leaves of a cabbage and pop them in the freezer, pop one in your bra to sooth the nipple when it's sore......works wonders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Cabbage leaves can dry up your milk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

deisemum wrote: »
    Cabbage leaves can dry up your milk though
    I believe it can also taint the milk ... not too sure on that one. maybe its just if you eat it lol

• Advertisement

there is a breastfeeding group in wicklow that the health nurse told me bout, but i think i would be very self concious going to that, i dont have a clue what goes on at them...like, do you have to feed the baby in front of other people or what?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

pixiestix wrote: »
    cheers guys, i think i will give the nipple shields a try, i do love breastfeeding her cos she loves it, it calms her down and it's a good excuse to sit down and chill...lol

and it is seriously handy at night, rather than having to get bottles ready and sit up, i just lie her beside me and she feeds herself to sleep, so nipple shields will be on my next shoppin list and fingers crossed they work :)

thanks again for all the advice, hopefully i wont be back in this thread in a week nippleless and angry...lol

Hi sorry I havent read all the posts so apologies if I have repeated anyone. it will hurt for a while as long as babe is latching on correctly, even for no 2 it felt like a scalpel for a good while. Make sure after every feed that you clean them and put on some nipple cream to sooth but make sure you wipe it off before feeding babe. The pain will go away but if you feel the pain in the boob, or have a fever or just unwell get yourself to the doc coz it might need antibiotics. Persevere and itll be worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

I had the same problem and debated for ages about stopping breastfeeding. The guilt was terrible and I felt I was letting my baby down by not giving him the best. I found the breast feeding group to be like a cult who nearly made me feel like the worst mother in the world for even considering expressing or giving up altogether. They put alot of pressure on me and after 2 visits I never went back. In the end I did what was best for both of us and that was putting him on formula at 8 weeks. I knew exactly what he was getting and his mum wasnt miserable and sore so I enjoyed him more. I look back now and feel I gave him the best start and that was the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

Hi there, my wife had our first baby on Thursday which we are delighted about. There were a few complications and the baby was taken from us for a few hours. Since then my wife has been trying to express to no avail. Our child is latching on and sucking like mad but nothing is coming out! She has always wanted to breastfeed and is now getting upset because it is not happening. The baby is currently been fed through a tube but will be starting on formula bottles today probably. Is there any advice out there that might help my wife to breastfeed? Is there any service that will come to your house and help you breastfeed? What is the likelyhood she will not be able to breastfeed? Anyone have a similar experience and is now at the other side of the tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Congrats on your new baby.

It takes up to 5 days for milk to 'come in' and the best way to encourage milk production is for baby to nurse as often as possible.

Baby is far more effective than any breast pump; the fact that baby is latching on and nursing is great.

You'll find some great resources on the net (with accurate information - some of what's posted here isn't!), the breastfeeding board on www.rollercoaster.ie is excellent and I'd also strongly recommend contact La Leche League for the best information & support on breastfeeding that I know. You'll find lots of mothers who have come through similar experiences and successfully breastfed; what you need now is information & support and LLL are fantastic for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Hi el loco, firstly congratulations on the birth of your baby,

my advice is to tell your wife to try and relax, go for a walk, make sure she is eating and drinking enough, she wont be able to produce milk if she is dehydrated not eating enough and totally stressed.

Try and express near a crying baby, the sound of crying helps the breasts for some reason to produce and start the flow of milk, When i was in hospital the woman across the room from me used my baby as a timer, as it is better to express little and often in the first few days, every time my baby was fed day and night, she would get up and i would feed my baby, while she expressed her milk,

A cabbage leave in your bra is a good remedy for mastitis, so it might help in starting her milk flow as well.

im sure other women will have other and better advice, but try and stick it our for another few days and see if her milk comes in,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Hi el loco blanco, congratulations to yourself, your wife and new baby. We went through something similar on our second.

Since then my wife has become a breastfeeding counsellor. If you or your wife want to give her a call, please PM me and I'll give you our number.

Or if you prefer, you can call Cuidiu (see http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=10). They provide support over the phone. http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=34 has the list of counsellors too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

Since you went through something similar, did you manage to get the baby breastfeeding eventually or did you start using formula milk? I can find loads of info about increasing the milk production but absolutely nothing about starting milk production!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Since you went through something similar, did you manage to get the baby breastfeeding eventually or did you start using formula milk? I can find loads of info about increasing the milk production but absolutely nothing about starting milk production!

Yes, she expressed while our daughter was in an incubator and she was fed this through the tube. Once our baby was out, she could attach normally but as she was expressing so much, my wife ended up engorged as supply was way more than demand.

I advise giving her a call or one of the cuidiu helplines. Then go through whatever options there are to start production. I'm sure the stress of all this has something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

You can try breast balm you buy it in the chemist theres one clled Biofem its very good.It doesnt have to be washed off so is safe when breastfeeding.I still se it now and again and my babs is 9 months.You are at the stage you could give a bottle as you are established but do you really want the added stress of expressing and sterilising while breastfeeding.Give that a go and if it dowesnt work try your phn or even a breastfeeding support group.Clinics usually run them.And finally its fantastic youve decided to breastfeed keep going and before you know it babs will be a year old and youll still be going strong.:D

Advertisement