Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weeing in house

Options
  • 20-11-2008 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

my 11 month old westie has started peeing around the house, today he cocked his leg against my sons school bag destroying about 50 euros worth of school books.:mad::mad:
    we got a male kitten five weeks ago and they both seem to tolerate each other ,i know the dog is just marking his space ,will having the puppy neutered stop the peeing ??? we were thinking of breeding but if neutering will stop this behavior then i would rather get him done.:(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

yes he should be neutered. not only will it stop the urge to mark his territory, it will also stop a lot of other bad behaviours/instincts as well such as always trying to find a way to escape to find a mate etc! the male kitten can be neutered when he is around 5 months as well or else you'll have to deal with him spraying everything which smells a lot worse than dog pee!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Our yorkie does this sometimes. If he is left in the house during the day, he sometimes pee's on the newspaper, but sometimes for fun he cocks his leg up against the stool / leg of table.
    He is neutered but still does it, and even did it in a friends house even though he knows its bold.

Do get him neutered but make sure to get in the habit of teaching him in some way that it's not to be done. My mam was soft on him and didn't tell him off enough in the younger years, it seems to be too late now because he doesn't pay any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I honestly do not believe neutering your dog will solve its weeing problem.

The only thing that will stop this is proper toilet training.

I also disagree with allowing a dog to wee on newspaper. This indicates to the animal it is acceptable to wee in the house. It is not acceptable to wee in the house and the dog needs to understand this.

All of our dogs except one arrived at our home not neutered and they have all been trained not to wee indoors. They arrived at different ages, between 12wks and 2 years not house trained and every single dog was fully toilet trained to wee outside within 2 weeks.

It takes persistence and patience, not neutering. Watch your dog persistently and every time he lifts his leg indoors pick him up in the act and put him outside. If he does it and you do not see him bring him to the soiled area, put him close enough so he can smell it and act bad tempered, but not in a scary way and then put him outside for 10mins. He will then associate going outside to wee. Also, every couple of hours bring him outside and when he wees outside reward him and make a big fuss with lots of rubs. I guarantee you after a few days you will see a difference. We have done this with all of our dogs and not one will wee in our home.

Sometimes it's easier to believe the dog is doing this because of a fault he has, rather than believing the toilet training wasn't done properly.

Give it two weeks of constant and persistent toilet training before making a decision to neuter your dog. You did say you want to breed your dog and I don't think every unneutered dog in the country has this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

"Sometimes it's easier to believe the dog is doing this because of a fault he has, rather than believing the toilet training wasn't done properly."

Thank you LadyTbolt for your view if you actually read my post you would see that my puppy was previously house trained and has only recently started weeing ,as for your comment of constantly watching for the dog cocking his leg and putting him outside ,do you not think i would do this ??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seemingly orange of something acidic smelling like oranges spray on stuff stops dogs wanting to smell them, and thus not pee on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 harrins

I can totally relate to you on this one! I have a Yorkie who is 18 months and was completely toilet trained. We went away for a week and when we came back she started peeing. We went back to basics and took her out on a lead every hour on the hour. We'd stand outside in the freezing cold, come back in and she would pee! We have a dog flap since before we've had her and she does know how to use it. Now 6 months since the holiday she pees indoors only at night time. But it drives me nuts! We have another Yorkie who never has an accident.

Any ideas?

Advertisement