Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancies: donegal county council

• 20-11-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Hey, seen it in the news, just wondering what departments were badly hit, i'm a plumber with a local authority and my contract is up early next year, would appreciate any insight, thanks.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From what I know, it's right across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think it was temporary staff or staff coming to the end of a contract.
    Definably no job safe at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Donegal News is reporting 71 workers to be laid off on December 31 and that "things would get worse" with 240 other jobs under review. There is no money to spend on capital projects next year.

Definitely, nobody is safe. Sam Hire and O'Kane Furniture in Letterkenny are gone. Can't mention any names but a major national company will be gone before Christmas. It's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

not even the public sector is safe, was it this bad in the 80's

shayser wrote: »
    Definitely, nobody is safe. Sam Hire and O'Kane Furniture in Letterkenny are gone. Can't mention any names but a major national company will be gone before Christmas. It's scary.

Did not hear about those two companies till today, its very sad for the workers. And just more bad news for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

169 wrote: »

No, back in the eighties everyone got political pull to get them into jobs like these and the health boards etc etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Donegal News is reporting 71 workers to be laid off on December 31 and that "things would get worse" with 240 other jobs under review. There is no money to spend on capital projects next year.

Wow, didn't realise they'd closed. As for the big national company, I guess I'll hear about it soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is indeed a new departure for Donegal Co. Co. For the last few years they have taken temporary staff on for 9 or 10 month contracts and depending on funding most would have been kept on but its the sheer magnitude of the whole thing that sets the alarm bells ringing.

No matter how you look at it (and we all criticise the council at times) these layoffs will result in a very poor level of service being provided from here on.

It'll be interesting to see councillors expenses etc from here on in and indeed how big the bill is for St Patricks week next year. At least we'll have a chance to make feelings known in June if the council waste a load in march on junkets while service and jobs go down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

169 wrote: »
    The 80's were a picnic compared to this. If you couldn't get a job here there was always The US, The UK, Holland, Germany, Down Under. There was a thriving black economy, we used to see a lot of tourists, there was little personal debt, whatever you had you spent on a good time so the pubs were always wedgers.

With Citibank and the big three US car makers about to go under. I reckon this one will make the 30's look like Happy Hour in the Garden of Eden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Know a few people who will lose jobs with the council early next year.
    Also know a few of the lads laid off by Joseph mcMenimans in Ballybofey and they reckon things are looking dodgy enough for the companies survival.
    Lots of small companies will go under before this evens out.
    The present exchange rates could be the final nail in the coffin for hundreds of jobs in the border counties.:(
    Things looking bleek.

238 jobs to go at Donegal County Council - Donegal County Council manager Nov 24, 7:40 pm
    The Donegal County Council manager has confirmed that 238 council employees are to lose their jobs.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?articleid=000003125

Looks like the jobs that were under review are also going.
    I'm guessing this will be the same as the HSE cut backs, the council wont review individual employees to see who is and isn't productive, instead they will get rid of the staff they can, even if they are good workers.

Some politician will have to have the guts to stand up and weed out the dead loss in the public sector and keep the good staff whether they been working there for 1 or 20 years.

Senna makes a good point. Productivity probably won't be helped by this at all.

many in the public sector are getting very defensive that they are being targeted, but if the public sector were looked at properly and those who want to work and do work were kept on and productivity increased it might not be so bad. There are many in the HSE etc who have little to do where as many of the lower ranks who work hard will get the chop and cuts will be made for the sake of cuts rather than streamlining the sector.

The new VAT rates and sterling exchange rates will make it very hard in border areas, the very area these types of cuts will hurt and yet the areas that could do with Government spending just to improve infractructure so we stand some chance in the future upturn.

Supervalue in Letterkenny is gone. It's hard not to be gloomy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jesus, never heard that.

Hardly surprising though as I was in there a couple of weeks ago and saw the had a price comparison with Dunnes and Tesco on something. The prices were exactly the same and I remember thinking would it not be better if they tried to beat them on price rather than being happy they were the same? :confused:

Might be one of the consequences of the exodus to the north. Dunnes and Tesco to deal with on one front, Asda etc on the other.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wow, didn't know that!

It always seemed quiet any time I was in there anyway, so I suppose hardly surprising.

Boston Scientific are pulling out of Letterkenny. There's 120 working there at the moment and they have been in the town for 26 years.

http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?articleid=000003486

Anybody been in Supervalue recently? Haven't been down that way recently but somebody has said to me that they are still trading. Hope they got something sorted.

Advertisement