Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing more than one pound a week

• 20-11-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Im a pretty healthy male who weighs about 77kg (Im roughly 5 foot 11). Now I am certainly not fat but I would like to lose a bit of weight, probably between 7lbs-a stone. I worked it out and my daily calorie needs (not taking account of exercise) would be around 2200.

Now the thing is recently my diet has become very bad and I want to change that. I basically got lazy and stopped caring so Im looking to change it. Today was the first day I began my new diet and it went like this:

Breakfast: Porridge
    Snack: Banana
    Lunch: Two slices of wholewheat toast (with Flora spread), a tin of baked beans and a cup of hot chocolate (made with 100% Cocoa and hot water...12 calories;))
    Dinner: Sirloin steak and oven chips

Now hears the thing....that does not actually bother me at all. I feel that is more than enough food to sustain me and I am quite happy and satisfied to eat that. I added it up and the calories came to roughly 1800.

I am also very active playing football, climbing and doing a lot of running. Today I did five miles which I calculated burned about 630 calories.

So my calories for the day taking account of exercise came to 1170...this is way short of my needs of 2200.

My question is, is it safe to continue to do this as long as I am happy with it? I know its recommended creating a calorie deficit of 500 a day and losing a pound a week. Is it dangerous to lose more than this? Should I chill and eat more and lose a pound a week or press on as I am and lose the weight quicker?

Id also point out I am new to this so if anybody spots any errors or things worth noting please let us know. Thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Im a pretty healthy male who weighs about 77kg (Im roughly 5 foot 11). Now I am certainly not fat but I would like to lose a bit of weight, probably between 7lbs-a stone. I worked it out and my daily calorie needs (not taking account of exercise) would be around 2200.

Now the thing is recently my diet has become very bad and I want to change that. I basically got lazy and stopped caring so Im looking to change it. Today was the first day I began my new diet and it went like this:

Breakfast: Porridge
    Snack: Banana
    Lunch: Two slices of wholewheat toast (with Flora spread), a tin of baked beans and a cup of hot chocolate (made with 100% Cocoa and hot water...12 calories;))
    Dinner: Sirloin steak and oven chips

Now hears the thing....that does not actually bother me at all. I feel that is more than enough food to sustain me and I am quite happy and satisfied to eat that. I added it up and the calories came to roughly 1800.

I am also very active playing football, climbing and doing a lot of running. Today I did five miles which I calculated burned about 630 calories.

So my calories for the day taking account of exercise came to 1170...this is way short of my needs of 2200.

My question is, is it safe to continue to do this as long as I am happy with it? I know its recommended creating a calorie deficit of 500 a day and losing a pound a week. Is it dangerous to lose more than this? Should I chill and eat more and lose a pound a week or press on as I am and lose the weight quicker?

Id also point out I am new to this so if anybody spots any errors or things worth noting please let us know. Thanks:D

the one thing that stands out is the lack of vegetables ... I would definately swap the chips for vegetables or even have both ... Lunch could do with some vegetables too ... other than that it looks okay

Advertisement