Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking up on wine and champagne

Options
  • 20-11-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything good, especially the champagne. For that I'm willing to spend a max of €50.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Orla K wrote: »
    Anyone know anything good, especially the champagne. For that I'm willing to spend a max of €50.

have to say TESCO Champagne in my opinion is great value :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

whydave wrote: »
    have to say TESCO Champagne in my opinion is great value :)

I agree. They also have a lovely Prosecco for less than €13 that I enjoy occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

a very good champagne is the charles heidseck (not the piper heidseck, which is also nice but overpriced here in general, or the heidseck monopole which is god awful), it usually retails at around 35-40 euros and is fantastic. much better than moet, mumm, etc.

supermarket branded champagne are always hit and miss, as they are surplus champagne from wine houses. they are always worth trying out though, as one batch may be louis roederer, the next could be mumm. If you try it and like it, go back and make sure it's the same batch number so that you get the one you liked, and not some other house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Centra and Supervalue used to do a Champagne caller Drapier for about €25 which was amazing for the price.
    Not sure if they still stock it but it's work picking up if you see it around for under €30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Tesco VINTAGE champagne has won loads of blind testing awards, beating out the better known labels. If you need the label then Bollinger is fairly good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Would choose a good Proscecco or Gratien Meyer Method Traditionale (Loire Valley part of France) any day over a bottle marked 'champagne'...if its for a present, consider a hamper to the value of EUR50 filled with sparkling wines, cheeses, salamis, biscuits etc etc - if you still really really want Champagne, my favourite is Laurent Perrier - comes in at exactly EUR 50 from here http://www.booze.ie/product_info.php?products_id=417

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Orla K wrote: »

If your willing to go for Prosecco over champers try the Rizzardi Prosecco in O'Briens.
    Really fruity and long lasting bubbles.
    You won't be disappointed.

As for the wine. White or Red?

A nice Amarone for the Red, the Bertani and Tomassi one's are both widely available and very nice.

In the white a good Chablis or Terre de Fumée

It all depends on your personal tastes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Centra and Supervalue used to do a Champagne caller Drapier for about €25 which was amazing for the price.
    Not sure if they still stock it but it's work picking up if you see it around for under €30

I've seen this in supervalu but there was two one with a black label which was more expensive. I think the other had a gold label

I've gotten the tesco one before it's great for the price and I will be having a few bottles of it.
    Cicero wrote: »
    Would choose a good Proscecco or Gratien Meyer Method Traditionale (Loire Valley part of France) any day over a bottle marked 'champagne'...if its for a present, consider a hamper to the value of EUR50 filled with sparkling wines, cheeses, salamis, biscuits etc etc - if you still really really want Champagne, my favourite is Laurent Perrier - comes in at exactly EUR 50 from here http://www.booze.ie/product_info.php?products_id=417

It's not for a present, it's for me and I suppose for the people coming over too, I may give them a bit too. Thanks for the link too.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    If your willing to go for Prosecco over champers try the Rizzardi Prosecco in O'Briens.
    Really fruity and long lasting bubbles.
    You won't be disappointed.

As for the wine. White or Red?

A nice Amarone for the Red, the Bertani and Tomassi one's are both widely available and very nice.

In the white a good Chablis or Terre de Fumée

It all depends on your personal tastes really.

I'm going to go to o'briens and have a nose around. As for red or white, I drink red but other people don't. I can pick out a red no bother as long as I have time. White wine I drink in the summer, I tend to go for anything that isn't dry, other people might be pickier than me

Advertisement