Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hand tattoo

• 20-11-2008 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

thinking of getting tattoo number two on the side of my hand. I wanted to get a few pictures of similar "tribe" tattoos to bring in and wanted to know if anyone would like to share:D

Also I've been told that some times they wont do it on your hand has anyone ever had problems getting it done.

Lastly, the last place i had a tattoo done was in UK and dont know many here, could anyone recommend a good one in Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

i think it'd look lovely but i havent one done on my hand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I know some tattoo artists will refuse to tattoo hands (along with necks and racist symbols and the likes) so that may narrow down your choice a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

thinking of getting tattoo number two on the side of my hand. I wanted to get a few pictures of similar "tribe" tattoos to bring in and wanted to know if anyone would like to share:D

Also I've been told that some times they wont do it on your hand has anyone ever had problems getting it done.

Lastly, the last place i had a tattoo done was in UK and dont know many here, could anyone recommend a good one in Galway.

I'm sure if you go to bmezine.com you should be able to find something you're looking for.
    As for tattooists not wanting / willing to do tattoos on the hand, AFAIK that only applies to "obvious" hand tattoos, such as the knuckles or "top-side" of the hand, as usually hand tattoos fairly stand out so artists are unwilling / hesitant to tattoo hands of people not already heavily tattooed. Cheryl Cole has one in the same place you're thinking of doesnt she? So there are artists who will accomodate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I'm sorry, I know this will seem like a personal attack, but...

I cannot believe you spoke down to that poor chungfillet in the other thread about how he should bear in mind what the girls will think about his incredibly common, uninvasive and totally reversible lobe piercing while at the same time talking about getting tribal on the side of your hand. oh yeah, all the boys be lovin that.....

have some sense. what do you work at? Unless you are independantly wealthy, a tattooist or piercer, a carny or a drug dealer - this is a bad move. not to mention the fact that the tattoo will fall apart within a short period of time on the side of the hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gotta totally agree with hot2def.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

YES AGREE WITH THE LAST COMMENTS.I AM TATTOOEDBUT WOULD NEVER CONCIDER PARTS THAT YOU CANT COVER UP CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT LIES AHEAD.WILL YOU BE EMBARRASED IN LATER LIFE ETC ETC. CUFFS UP ,CHEST DOWN. A LOT OF DOORS CLOSE WHEN YOU HAVE TATTOOS IN GENERAL SO WHAT CANT BE SEEN CANT BE JUDGED.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

No need to shout :P

at OP, i'd have to agree with hot2def, unless your job allows it, I reckon it'd be a bad idea. You can't really hide a tattoo on your hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Kersmash wrote: »
    No need to shout :P

at OP, i'd have to agree with hot2def, unless your job allows it, I reckon it'd be a bad idea. You can't really hide a tattoo on your hand.

Revenge is sweet, eh? Haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

Alright Cheryl Cole.

cheryltattoo5wn.th.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

hot2def wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I know this will seem like a personal attack, but...

I cannot believe you spoke down to that poor chungfillet in the other thread about how he should bear in mind what the girls will think about his incredibly common, uninvasive and totally reversible lobe piercing while at the same time talking about getting tribal on the side of your hand. oh yeah, all the boys be lovin that.....

have some sense. what do you work at? Unless you are independantly wealthy, a tattooist or piercer, a carny or a drug dealer - this is a bad move. not to mention the fact that the tattoo will fall apart within a short period of time on the side of the hand.

First off yes it is a personal attack but i dont resort to reporting it cos im an adult.

Secondly this thread is completly different to the other thread as the OP in that tread was complaining that his mother was being unreasonable and i never said NOT to get it nor was i speeking down to him, i was hoping that he would respect his mothers wishes no matter how he felt, and he is mature enough to do this BIG respect to him.

Thirdly I AM and adult, past the point of needing to worry about what people say about my image (showing my age), my job/employment will not be affected ... dont ask me to clarify, couldnt be bothered.

and lastly just because i like a certain body modification in one area does not mean that I should automatically like them in all areas. Like anything in life you have preferences, likes and dislikes. I have tattoos already and multiple piercings but would never put tattoos in certain areas cos I dont like the look of them or piercings in certain areas for the same reason. I am entitled to my opinions.

The tattoo I was thinking of getting is in a more discrete area of my hand, like cheryl coles one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Umbrella Corp

Heres mine got it done a couple of weeks ago. It went on fine and really wasn't painful at all. Took a bit longer to heal than a normal tattoo but I say go for it and good luck. Can't wait to see it!!

DSC00266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Thirdly I AM and adult, past the point of needing to worry about what people say about my image (showing my age), my job/employment will not be affected ... dont ask me to clarify, couldnt be bothered.

Between this, your user name and your signature I'd guess you're a stay at home mum so true enough it won't affect your employment so that's not a concern, but have you considered when your kid is in their teens and wants to get a highly visible piercing/tattoo, having one on your hand will severely cripple your authority in the matter as they'll just view you as a hypocrite if you try to disuade them from getting it done?

You may have a bit of hassle from the tattooists as you may have to convince them that you have fully thought this through and are aware of the impact this is going to have on how people treat you from now on, then as hot2def has pointed out the location isn't a great one, and so they may suggest moving it more towards the back of the hand, where the skin doesn't suffer as much day-to-day wear (palms and sides of the hands are bad in this regard) and so the tattoo will hold up better over the years.

But if you're certain about it; go for it, people will judge you for it but people judge each other for everything about their appearance these days:(, just keep in mind, as you've seen above, don't expect sympathy for this from many of the regulars on this forum regarding such problems.

there is no discrete area of the hand.

also, look at the state of the Cole one's tattoo *already*. You are entitled to you opinions, inconsistant as they are. But I can say this with absolute certainty - you *will* regret that tattoo. I know these things, I base it not on my own experiences or even on my parental status. I'm basing it on talking to hundreds of tattooed people from all walks of life. Its a stupid, shortsighted, reckless thing to do.

thats my word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

It must be fun being an authority on other peoples future feelings. To lostinnappies, do as you wish lifes too short to worry about other peoples bull****.
    Have you considered when your kid is in their teens and wants to get a highly visible piercing/tattoo, having one on your hand will severely cripple your authority in the matter as they'll just view you as a hypocrite if you try to disuade them from getting it done?
    Using this argument, she should stop drinking, smoking and essentially doing anything bad also. She's a parent and when alls said and done she can enforce her rules on her child. This point is so null and void it makes my head spin.

It must be fun being an authority on other peoples future feelings.

t'is.

Using this argument, she should stop drinking, smoking and essentially doing anything bad also. She's a parent and when alls said and done she can enforce her rules on her child. This point is so null and void it makes my head spin.

And using your arguement you must be a smashing parent since apparently you get drunk, smoke and do anything bad right in front of your kids. Your intelligence is so null and void it makes my head spin.:rolleyes:

If you'd an ounce of cop on you'd realise my point was that she can't hide the tattoo from her kid(s) and by chosing to get one in such a highly visible location she's saying that she's completely in favour of people getting such themselves, she may well have thought through the resulting problems this may cause in her life and decided that they were worth it but most teenagers will not see all the ins and outs of it but insist that they do, as such she'll have as much weight on the issue as a flea has in a debate on theoretical physics.
    Basically she'll be giving her kid(s) a free pass, from their point of view, to whatever bodymod they might choose to get regardless of what age they are, how visible or extreme.

No-where in my posts have I said not to do it, I've simply warned her that hot2def is right about the location being a bad one for longevity of the tattoo and asked had she considered the above issue also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

H'okay...

Keep it civil folks, mutual respect goes a long way. If that can't be had thread will be locked. Truthinwords put across his own opinion, implying he is stupid won't help. AND farohar, truthinwords doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. :)

While I agree with hot2def's original point, I can also appreciate where truthinwords is coming from. Just gotta choose how ya life your life.

Lostinnappies - if you do go ahead with your planned hand tattoo, be aware (as so many people have said) that it is visible, will smudge, people will judge, may affect future employment and you may end up hating it. However, reverting back to truthinword's post, live and let live?

Will wrote: »
    H'okay...

Keep it civil folks, mutual respect goes a long way. If that can't be had thread will be locked. Truthinwords put across his own opinion, implying he is stupid won't help. AND farohar, truthinwords doesn't smoke, drink or do drugs. :)
    I only returned the level respect I felt I was given and made equally daft assumptions where they were made about me and what I was saying. The first line of his/her post was an oppinion, the second was intentionally being obtuse and disrespectfully dismissing a point only because they didn't happen to agree with it.

Clearly truthinwords was so eager for an arguement that he/she'd not even bothered reading half my post or I doubt I would have been the target for the misdirected ire, since I was one of the few to not adopt an absolute negative stance on the idea;
    farohar wrote: »
    But if you're certain about it; go for it, people will judge you for it but people judge each other for everything about their appearance these days:(, just keep in mind, as you've seen above, don't expect sympathy for this from many of the regulars on this forum regarding such problems.
    Heck of those on this forum I'd probably be among the most aware of how people judge you over little adaptions of your hands, I live with it (though do have to put up with regular crap about it), although my talons are readily reversable unlike a tattoo, I'm sure lostinnappies can live with the life long hassle as long as she's certain and has viewed the potential problems from all angles before going ahead.

High visibility tattoos are becoming more common these days though so (certainly spotted one lad the other day with one on his neck) in time perhaps society will ditch the silly stigma with it, but considering how many still feel about any tattoos I don't think it'll be any this side of the century.

Your argument was poor, I mean come on you can't say just because I've done something I can't disallow my children from doing the same. Parents enforce rules of their choosing that's it. For example if my Father dropped out of college does that make it not okay for him to dissaprove of me doing so? The practicalities of the tattoo (longevity wise) not withstanding, if she wants it she should get it. I know plenty of people with hands, fingers, necks and throats tattooed that are employed and productive it's not the end of the world.

Also I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, eat meat, eat dairy or any other animal products so I believe I will make an excellent parent at some stage in the future.

I think everyone should not be so worried if she gets a hand tattoo or not. I have a huge hand tattoo. If people have a problem with me it's their problem. My kids love my tattoo and if they want a tattoo or piercing when they are 18 I will be right there with them!!

• Advertisement

Here is my point when it comes to my children, when they turn 18 they can do as they please. I may try and disuade them if I think it is a bad idea but I will only have to trust that in the years previous to their independent 18 year old age that I have done a good enough job in brining them up and teaching them to show respect and good judgement and part of that would be not to judge others on their apperance. If they choose to have tattoos then they can when they are 18.

As for my suposed different opinions on different body modifications the only thing I can say is to give you an example so you under stand my point ... If I like chicken that doesnt mean I like chicken curry.... If I like pizza it doesnt mean i like all the toppings on all the pizzas, If i like tattoos/piercings it doesnt mean i like them everywhere. Such is life and the variations in everybodies tastes... i should hope that everyone is like this and not a mindless "yes man".

And lastly, im not a teenager.. im not even in my twenties... how long exactly should I wait before im an "adult":P and live my life the way I choose. I am aware of the stigma attached to highly visable tattoos (more so when you are female) and thank you all for your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And lastly, I'm not a teenager.. I'm not even in my twenties... how long exactly should I wait before I'm an "adult":P and live my life the way I choose. I am aware of the stigma attached to highly visible tattoos (more so when you are female) and thank you all for your concern.

Your age is irrelevant to the fact that the tattoo will not wear or age well, as in that location the tattoo will bleed and blur a lot (and I don't mean bleed as in blood, as in the ink will spread).

That, plus the potential grief that this could cause you in the future would be my main concerns, and reason enough to warn you against getting this done.

If you decide to go ahead with it, the best of luck to you, as it doesn't matter how much confidence you carry, or how much you can defend your choice to get a visible tattoo such as this, there will always be those who judge you because of them, such as potential employers, and I hope that it does not work against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Do ur reaserch, find a decent Tattooist that will give you their honest opinion (pls listen to what they say). Its ur body, ur life and ur future, stick up a pic after u get it ;)

Off Topic slightly, when i was in my late teens i bought a 2 yr old car, at the time i had my head shaved to a number 1, had 10 peircings from neck up, i got constantly harrassed by gardai when i was in the car, all they saw was a young skin head female with loads of peircings, didn't occure that i was a working female, earning my own money and waiting for approval for my mortage, i had my apprenticeship behind me. My point is people do judge people that they don't know, just by appearance, i know its not correct but it happens every day. I have had my employer say to me that he knows how good i am at my job and now he doesn't notice my peircings, tattoos or electric red hair BUT people that don't know me, that is all they see till they let down their guard and get to know me.

Good luck with the tat:cool:

in that location the tattoo will bleed and blur a lot (and I don't mean bleed as in blood, as in the ink will spread).

Well now that has made me reconsider ... hummm. A very valid point thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

as in that location the tattoo will bleed and blur a lot (and I don't mean bleed as in blood, as in the ink will spread).

I concur. I have 3 small stars down the side of my wrist, so not the hand, but only slightly down (if you get me) and it did bleed into the skin quite alot more than I thought it would. Luckily I got it done large enough/ spaced out enough that it still looks awesome, and I love it :cool:
    I'd say research it as much as you can and then decide. It's your body after all!
    People here are just trying to give advise (some more pushy advise than others, but hey, everyones intitled to their opinions, and you ofcourse are intitled to ignore them if you wish ;) )

Best of luck whatever you decide to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If people have a problem with me it's their problem.

That's not true. The fact that you think that would make me question whether you are in a position to advise people on getting hand tattoos.

Getting a huge tattoo on your hand will be a problem for a lot of people, and as a result a problem for you. You may not like to think this, but other people's opinions can have a huge impact on you in life, for example, when you are applying for a mortgage, going for a job interview, etc.

I understand you live on a pig farm on the side of a mountain somewhere :) but most people aren't in your position.

/No offence

Y the tattoo will not wear or age well, as in that location the tattoo will bleed and blur a lot (and I don't mean bleed as in blood, as in the ink will spread).

I'd mostly agree with you but certain artists have been having great success with tattoos in areas like the hands, palms, inner fingers etc. Thomas Hooper (NY Adorned) did my friends palm (whole palm pretty much covered) and it's still perfect a year later. Xed Le Head (formerly IN2U now somewhere in London) also can produce a healed hand tattoo as can Swastika Freakshop in Germany. If I was the OP I'd get myself on a plane to London to Xed or wait till the London convention for Thomas Hooper. The increasing quality of machines and inks make things like this more of a reality but there's also the view that handpoking is the only way to go for these types of tattoos, so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Hey Op, I have 5 tattoo's 1 of which is visible the rest are well hidden so to speak, but I have to agree with some of the comments. I regret having the one done on the back of my neck, it is really nice but it's not to everyone's taste and I often get the odd look. Yes to hell with what others think it's my body....but if others comments (including my own sister) are making me feel uncomfortable about it then I certainly regret it.

Cheryl Crowes tattoo is fab and I have thought about getting one similar but decided against it for the above mentioned reason.

To each their own, you decide what's best for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Your age is irrelevant to the fact that the tattoo will not wear or age well, as in that location the tattoo will bleed and blur a lot (and I don't mean bleed as in blood, as in the ink will spread).

I agree as this happened to one of my tattoo's :(

• Advertisement

AARRRGH wrote: »
    That's not true. The fact that you think that would make me question whether you are in a position to advise people on getting hand tattoos.

Getting a huge tattoo on your hand will be a problem for a lot of people, and as a result a problem for you. You may not like to think this, but other people's opinions can have a huge impact on you in life, for example, when you are applying for a mortgage, going for a job interview, etc.

I understand you live on a pig farm on the side of a mountain somewhere :) but most people aren't in your position.

/No offence

No offence taken!!

Firstly I own my own home. I also run my own business - a pet website. I don't live on a pig farm, I breed pigs on my land, which is 5 acres in Donegal. Not in the middle of nowhere, we are 20 minutes from Letterkenny and 10 minutes from Glenties. I have to deal with business people everyday in my line of work. They have got to know me and do not judge me by what is on my hand. People's opinions have never bothered me. Obviously it's been a huge problem for you. Sorry for their ignorance

Advertisement