Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M15 Gearbox Seizure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

I had a similar problem with my M4 the first time I took it apart, and was the gear timing that was the root cause. Pay attention to the position of the small lump on the sector gear that engages the tappet plate. It needs to be in the 12:30 - 1:00 position.

Picture with correct position below.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1769/img0669smallhy9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Gear timing is rubbish, there is no such thing.
    The only reason people suggest the 1 o'clock position is because at this point the gears are not engaging the piston when you re-assemble the gearbox, and that is what matters, once the piston is forward and the sector gear is not engaging the piston then the gears will run fine.

vkchris: Are you sure the gears aren't shimmed too tightly? If they are, it could be causing too much load on the motor and it doesn't have enough power to pull the piston all the way back to the release point.

Advertisement