Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Spamming Me

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice on how to pursue this.

I ordered a few books from Amazon recently. Service was great, everything arrived in double quick time and in perfect order. Great I thought.

Fast forward a few days, I check my e-mail and find two Amazon e-mails advertising stuff I have no interest in. I think that I must have forgotten to check the "Bug me not" exclaimer when I signed up. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I log on and request to be taken off their mailing list. That's that sorted. Or so I thought.

Next day, I get another e-mail from Amazon. I fire off an e-mail to customer services expressing my displeasure and requesting that once again, I'm removed from their e-mail list. I get a reply back, yes, they'll take me off the list. Great, that's that sorted.

That was yesterday, and again today, I find more Amazon spam in my e-mail. This is absolutely ridiculous at this stage. Are they free to just keep spamming me at will, or is there an information ombudsman that I can report Amazon to?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

had the same problem.

first classified them as spam but then discovered that there is an to "unsubscribe click here" link at the end of the mail. it worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

yeah all there emails have an option for unsubscribing. i did it the other day. complete ****e that they insist on sending so much stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

had the same problem.

first classified them as spam but then discovered that there is an to "unsubscribe click here" link at the end of the mail. it worked...
    I've actually done that as well.

Didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are they free to just keep spamming me at will, or is there an information ombudsman that I can report Amazon to?

Since you are a customer, they can initially contact you without your expressed consent, but since you've then gone and told them that you don't want them to contact you, they should comply with that instruction.

Some companies claim that it can take two weeks to get you off their list (which is nonsense, it can easily be done instantly and automatically), so they can keep sending out stuff during this time - I had this issue with Dell.

If you're still getting the mails, you can report them to the Data Protection Commissioner

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=510

Amazon have an office in Cork, so I'd say they'd have to comply with Irish regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

:DWow,

How long does it take to delete a spam email? 1 second...2 seconds if you have to click 'select all' jaysus this is the moaniest thread i have seen on here in a while.

Amazon are literally stealing seconds from my day by making me delete emails shocker! It could be worse the former minister for finance of nigeria could be trying to give you money.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have to agree. What a moan! This is common practice with on-line suppliers. It's not Spam if you subscribed. Just Un-subscribe and delete the mail.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I get mails like this from just about every online business I've ever dealt with. It's mildly irksome, at worst, often I just delete them, but sometimes there's a good special offer listed. If you don't want Amazon offers showing up, add a filter for amazon-offers@amazon.co.uk that sends them to the bin. That should take care of it until your unsubscribe request is fulfilled.

Every so often though, you'll receive a mail that makes you glad you didn't unsubscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

jor el wrote: »
    Every so often though, you'll receive a mail that makes you glad you didn't unsubscribe.

Exactly. Works for them, works for me. I don't mind skimming the message to see what it's about, but occasionally, just occasionally, there might be a worthwhile offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Have to agree. What a moan! This is common practice with on-line suppliers. It's not Spam if you subscribed. Just Un-subscribe and delete the mail.:mad:
    Are you a bit slow or something? I never subscribed, and I've tried to have my e-mail taken off their mailing list three times now. This is Amazon, not a dodgy 419 scammer. They should have some sort of ethics and standards to protect their customers.

Advertisement