Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Time Next Year

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

So my friend and I were talking about the joys of the LC today, and we're both in the same boat - the only thing keeping us going through this stupid year is the fact that it's the only way to get to college and start doing something we actually want to...

Normally it's not too bad, you know, you complain but you don't want to just drop out. But then there's those days where all you want to do is curl up in bed and never go back to that godforsaken school again. It's those days when the only reason I can come up with not to just leave is the thoughts of life this time next year! It's probably my sole motivation for finishing 6th year.

Anyone else keep going because they have to for college next year? Or, if not, what motivates you to keep going, when you feel like it's never going to end?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Yep,pretty much the same for me.I really should be studying now though. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Oh yeah, university. I'm not looking forward to that at all actually. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yeah, it's what gets me through study and classes. That said, I enjoy most of my subjects (so sort of neglect the ones I don't like...). Whenever there's a lull in the conversation at lunch one of us always breaks it with "lads, I can't wait for college"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

That's on of the things keeping me going, the other being going to Ibiza with 11 classmates after the results for a week and then the oul Debs, liver will be falling outta my arse by then.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Normally it's not too bad, you know, you complain but you don't want to just drop out. But then there's those days where all you want to do is curl up in bed and never go back to that godforsaken school again.

I felt like that a lot doing the LC and the thought of college was a consollation that kept me going.
    Now that I'm in college, there are still mornings where I just want to curl up and never go back to college again. Only difference is, I can actually stay in bed because I there's no teachers taking atttendance. But the downside is that if you stay curled up in bed too often, you fall behind and college becomes even more miserable.

There'll always be crappy days no matter where you're going. While college (in general) is certainly a better experience than 2nd level, don't expect those days to disappear completely.

(Sorry if this kills the buzz somewhat, just giving my perspective!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Normally it's not too bad, you know, you complain but you don't want to just drop out. But then there's those days where all you want to do is curl up in bed and never go back to that godforsaken school again. It's those days when the only reason I can come up with not to just leave is the thoughts of life this time next year! It's probably my sole motivation for finishing 6th year.

Yeah I felt like that a lot when I did the Leaving cert but like the others have said I used it as a motivation task to get into College. Don't get me wrong now that I'm in College there would be days like today for example where I simply don't want to go but then I realise I'm lucky enough in that I'm doing the course I've always wanted to do so therfore I use that as another motivation tool.

College as "Square-igloo" said is a better experience then 2nd level but don't expect days in which you want to take a sickie completely dissapear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah, college is definitely what got me through, especially since I had a lot of friends who were already there, and living the good life. Also I was really busy all year with portfolio and violin exams and various olympiads so the time flew nicely.

But yeah, gotta echo some sentiments... I still wake up in the morning going "uggh have to go into college uggh", but I think that's more due to a person's natural dislike of HAVING to be somewhere at a particular time etc. Otherwise college is fantastic, and getting your first place just makes it all the better, so keep that in mind when you're trying to find the motivation to study! People in college and all the stuff that's on is great on its own, but studying what you're really interested in is so important, especially when you've got hideously long or complicated assignments to do... you'd want to really like the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Woo, I'm not alone! :p

Tbh, I know college won't be a bed of roses, and I know I'll be like uggghhhhh sooo much work, goo awaaaayy, but for the mo, I'll have to idealise it! When I get there, and don't want to continue, I'll probably be thinking, only x amount of time and then I'll be doing ___[insert next step here]______.

Someone just said there's always going to be something you dislike about whatever it is you're doing, but I suppose so long as you have something else to focus on/aim towards, you'll always plough through, if only to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I dunno I really loved school way back when. Obviousely I wanted to go to college and that was a motivation for exams but I never really hated going to school-exams yes but i was fairly laid back and never got to stressed. In fact I missed school a ridiculous amount, nothing in life is ever the same. College is great for drinking and meeting new people but i enjoyed my school experience so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

themont85 wrote: »
    I dunno I really loved school way back when. Obviousely I wanted to go to college and that was a motivation for exams but I never really hated going to school-exams yes but i was fairly laid back and never got to stressed. In fact I missed school a ridiculous amount, nothing in life is ever the same. College is great for drinking and meeting new people but i enjoyed my school experience so much more.

enjoy second level while ya have it, the best memories in life are when you are young, appreciate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I literally would not be in school if I didn't want to go to college next year... I'm verrrrrrry sick of it, especailly since I was only one of 19 out of 240 people to do TY. It's hard not to think about how all my old friends are in college sometimes....

Advertisement