Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N1 Speeding Fine

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hey there first off not sure if this is in the right thread so apologies if it is and will take direction as to where to post, (politely ha ha)

I got a speeding fine in the post today. Offence took place 30th of August on the N1 Santry. I was doing 70 in a 60kmh zone allegedly, and I have heard second hand that these traffic fines are being struck out at the mo because apparently the new speed limits were never published in the Gazette???

Is this accurate???

Any info greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Were you driving a classic car? :p

moved to motors...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Ha ha. A classic Xsara sir!

Thanks for the move

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will depend on exactly where you were caught along the M1 (or was it the stretch of the M50 from the tunnel to the roundabout?)
    See http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1120/1227134379448.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kbannon wrote: »
    It will depend on exactly where you were caught along the M1 (or was it the stretch of the M50 from the tunnel to the roundabout?)
    See http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1120/1227134379448.html

M1 was the shot they had on the M50 AFAIK that turn has always been 60k. The GFs Da is the SLOWEST driver ever he'll do like 95k on the M1 all the way to drogheda and was caught doing 67k there!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

M1 was the shot they had on the M50 AFAIK that turn has always been 60k. The GFs Da is the SLOWEST driver ever he'll do like 95k on the M1 all the way to drogheda and was caught doing 67k there!
    It's a funny thing, slow drivers often tend to get caught out by low speed limits. It's as if they have a 'one speed fits all' mentality.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The M50 is 80km/h from the port tunnel exit up to the M1/M50/N32 interchange - it used to be the M1 before the tunnel opened.
    Anyhow that stretch is 80 IIRC. Where on the M1 was it 60km/h?
    I would say that the speed limit, wherever it was, was not legally enforceable - fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kbannon wrote: »
    The M50 is 80km/h from the port tunnel exit up to the M1/M50/N32 interchange - it used to be the M1 before the tunnel opened.
    Anyhow that stretch is 80 IIRC. Where on the M1 was it 60km/h?
    I would say that the speed limit, wherever it was, was not legally enforceable - fingers crossed!

Indeed it is BUT the turnoff the M1 for the dublin airport roundabout is 60k The airport exit AND they are always there with the speed gun

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All interesting stuff

I will try find out exactly where the camera was and see what the situ is, but I dont think it looks good because most of the areas around santry are in fact 60kmh from what I have heard particularly around the m1/n1 bit so I may indeed be shagged.

Gutted about this. "Fish" and "in a barrell" spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There was a 40mph limit at the turn for the Airport on the M1 back in the day.

I think it's either the N1 limit from Shantalla bridge to the tunnel mouths or the M50 limit from the Tunnel mouths to J3 or the M1 from J3 to the 120 limit north of the Airport turn off that are in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Indeed it is BUT the turnoff the M1 for the dublin airport roundabout is 60k The airport exit AND they are always there with the speed gun

I passed what looked like a GATSO van around this point before 7AM this morning. It was parked in the hard shoulder on my side of the road and I was heading eastwards towards the junction with the M1/M50.

I've seen the Guards use tripods from the median, but it's the first time I've seen a van there. Anyone else see it.

(am wondering because I when I looked at my speedo, I was slightly over the 60km/h limit :-()

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I am absolutely RAGING! Just got a letter in the post on Thursday saying that I was caught doing 75km on the 60km per hour section of road that connects the M1 roundabout with the airport roundabout last Saturday.

Whats the point in catching people on this section of road? It's only about 800m long (according to google maps). You couldn't build up enough speed to be dangerous, even if you tried!! I doubt there has EVER been a serious accident on this road.

I am a very safe driver on a day to day basis and have never had even so much as a minor incident while driving in the 7 years that I've had my license. If I could find the person who sent those gardai out to that section of that road last weekend, I would love to ask them a few questions.

In fact, I feel that if the gardai are gonna be stupid about speeding fines by collecting them on roads such as this, then I'm gonna be stupid about it and tell them that my friend from england was driving my car that day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Lisapeep wrote: »
    Whats the point in catching people on this section of road?
    There's quite a an angle on the corner leaving the motorway and there can be tailbacks approaching the airport roundabout. The speed limit is well posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

IWhats the point in catching people on this section of road? It's only about 800m long (according to google maps). You couldn't build up enough speed to be dangerous, even if you tried!! I doubt there has EVER been a serious accident on this road
    The 60kph limit is appropriate on that stretch (eastbound and westbound) for several reasons but mainly connected with the necessity for traffic to change lane and get into the appropriate lane within several hundred metres.

There is also the very unusual scenario there (in both directions) that traffic merges onto the motorway on the overtaking lane. I don't know of any other place in the country where this happens.

I have seen several accidents on that stretch of road and as has been said, the limits are well posted.

The GFs Da is the SLOWEST driver ever he'll do like 95k on the M1
    Hardly the 'SLOWEST' driver ever as, at 95kph, he's already travelling at more than twice the maximum permitted speed limit for certain vehicles. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What vehicles are limited to 45kmph on the M1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

50 km/h surely?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    What vehicles are limited to 45kmph on the M1?
    I didn't mention the M1 but category M vehicles are limited to a maximum speed of 45kph.

Some category D vehicles are limited to a maximum speed of 64 kph and they are permitted to use motorways.

I see agricultural vehicles using the M8 Cashel bypass regularly. No one gives a damn.

So just rang Dublin Castle and the Santry stretch of road I was done on goes from the N1 turnoff towards the airport.

Am I wrong in saying that this is one of the stretches of road being struck out of court because the new speed limits were not published in the gazette???

• Advertisement

population wrote: »
    Am I wrong in saying that this is one of the stretches of road being struck out of court because the new speed limits were not published in the gazette???

Unfortunately, I don't think so. As an earlier contributor indicated, this stretch has always had a reduced limit, even since the time the M1 ended there. It used to be 40mph, which became 60km/h when the changeover to metric speed limits.

Does anyone know what the expected leeway would be for the GATSO equipment in those vans. I read that it's usually set above the posted limit for operational reasons. I've seen it mentioned before, but can't find it now that I go looking for it.

10% of the limit +2 km/h for GATSO.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    10% of the limit +2 km/h for GATSO.

Ah! Should be okay, so. Thanks! :D

The 60kph limit is appropriate on that stretch (eastbound and westbound) for several reasons but mainly connected with the necessity for traffic to change lane and get into the appropriate lane within several hundred metres.

I disagree. I was coming from the direction of the airport and from this direction there is no sharp bend or traffic tailback that the poster before you mentioned. It was very quiet as it was early on a Saturday morning. There were very few cars around me and I was doing 46 miles per hour. I was not driving dangerously. They must absolutely rake in the money at this spot.

Come on, let's be honest, the gardai are not there because it's a dangerous road - they're there to make money. What is the point in giving a safe driver like me 2 penalty points for driving at 46 miles per hour on an empty dual carriageway? How is this justified?

It was very quiet as it was early on a Saturday morning. There were very few cars around me
    I don't know of any road in this country where the speed limits are adjustable according to traffic density, the time, or the day of the week!
    Lisapeep wrote:
    they're there to make money
    If that's what you believe, why are you contributing to them. Stay within the posted limits and they won't make any money from you. ;)
    Lisapeep wrote:
    a safe driver like me
    That's part of the problem. Most drivers think that they are safe. I'm sure that many of those who are slaughtered on our roads each year considered that they were safe drivers.

And you never go so much as one mile per hour over the limit? "He who is without sin may cast the first stone!"

You're coming across as very arrogant and condescending. And I am a safe driver!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You're coming across as very arrogant and condescending. And I am a safe driver!

How can you be a safe driver if you admit to seeing no wrong in going at least 125% of the posted limit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As I drive on it every day, the northbound M1 stretch that links the airport and M50 is treacherous. There are regular accidents in the evening and I personally believe the whole layout to be badely thought out.

You have traffic from the N32 merging with the M1 in a very short distance and at the same time you have people angling off the M1 to get to the airport. They in turn have to deal with two lanes of traffic from the M50 who are trying to skip into the outer lane asap.

In saying that tho', I would agree that the stretch of N1 heading away from the airport is quite safe so it is a bit of an easy target.

• Advertisement

delly wrote: »
    A
    You have traffic from the N32 merging with the M1 in a very short distance and at the same time you have people angling off the M1 to get to the airport. They in turn have to deal with two lanes of traffic from the M50 who are trying to skip into the outer lane asap.

And none of it made any easier by the muppets who don't know what hatch markings mean! There's far too much going on on that stretch without folks making it harder than it already is. Now that's the spot where the Gardai should be enforcing the law, both for speed and for other bad driving behaviour.

On a related note, I was hit by a truck on this stretch a few months back. He was heading south on the M1 heading for the M50 slip and I was already there, having come from the airport roundabout. He just pulled in and the truck hit the rear of the driver's side spinning me around on the motorway. Luckily, I ended up pointing the right way again and could coast into the hard shoulder. Scared the living sh1t out of me.

Advertisement