Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which aluminium transportation case for rifles?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This is my first thread here and I hope you can help me out.

I am looking to get a decent aluminium case for my rifle to replace the ABS one I currently have.

What do you guys use? I dont mind paying for good quality.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

If it's high quality and indestructibility then you should get a Peli or Storm Case. Sparks has one of the big Peli ones for his rifle, not sure of the model. I've a Storm case for my pistol - you can get custom laser-cut foam for each from a lad up in Dun Laoighaire

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Thinking of investing in a Starlight case myself (52x13x6). There's a guy in the States listing them on ebay for €198, you can add another $90 for shipping:

walking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

derek_g34 wrote: »
    Thinking of investing in a Starlight case myself (52x13x6). There's a guy in the States listing them on ebay for €198, you can add another $90 for shipping:

walking.jpg

I'm not sure I'd agree - go with the equivalent sized Peli or Storm (much, much, much, much better) - you can pick them up on Ebay for a reasonable rate...or.... www.intershoot.co.uk for pelis and www.stormcase.ie does them too and will deliver to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Storm case (Interior: 50.5" x 14" x 6.0") are looking for €389 before they deliver it to your door...

Peli (Inside dimensions 128.2 x 34.3 x 13.3 cm) £200...

Peli or stormcase.

They are both super cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bigred wrote: »
    Peli or Storm Case. Sparks has one of the big Peli ones for his rifle, not sure of the model.
    It's the 1720. Zaraba has the 1750, which is much bigger, but I thought that it was just too big to easily lug about, especially on a plane. There's the 1700 as well, but you have to debed your rifle completely to get it into the 1700. Maybe if I was putting a smaller rifle in there. It is a *lot* more luggable than the 1720.

Can't recommend them enough. Got mine from the intershoot.co.uk site bigred mentioned. The price here is a bit of a kicker because they have to be shipped from the US, but intershoot's price wasn't bad at all, and I'd rather a shooter got the dosh than a diver or photographer :D
    Of course, compared to the cost of, say, a new stock and three months training lost because of a broken rifle... well, they're cheap insurance really, aren't they?
    And if you're going to the US or have a friend coming back, well then, there you are.

I do have one sole complaint - the foam that comes with the 17xx series is a bit, well, floppy. I'd prefer the harder closed-cell foam. However...
    I've a Storm case for my pistol - you can get custom laser-cut foam for each from a lad up in Dun Laoighaire
    ...and I asked the lad and he's more than happy to custom-cut the foam for a peli case as well if you want.
    Haven't gotten round to doing it yet, mind, I'm waiting on bigred to bite the bullet first so I can get a look at it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Thanks Bigred, Zaraba, Sparks and derek_g34,

I really appreciate the info and your recommendations.

Budget is approx 2-300 for the case as I spent 3k plus on my set up and need something to protect it properly. (might increase the budget)

Going to have to give plenty thought to the makes you guys mentioned but they all look great!

very much appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Isnt Storm case made here in Ireland???Saw that about the Dun Laoighre address,and am maybe putting 2and 2 together here and getting 23??
    Peli box is the biz!!I have one for diving gear,and can those suckers take a bashing.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, Storms are made here. Some prefer them to Peli because of the lock design; personally I think it's much of a muchness. Get the one that fits your size needs more.
    Toughest boxes I've ever come across. Have had people jump on my rifle case, kick my sights case from one end of the range to the other, the works - not one bit of damage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have a Peli case with a T3 in it. I got it for €100 in the US and brought it back as part of my luggage (you should have seen the looks I got in Washington DC airport!!).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045215&highlight=peli

There very expensive here but well worth it to protect your gear..

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    I have a Peli case with a T3 in it. I got it for €100 in the US and brought it back as part of my luggage (you should have seen the looks I got in Washington DC airport!!).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055045215&highlight=peli

There very expensive here but well worth it to protect your gear..

That was quite the bargain Rew! Its a T3 tactical 24" I have myself so it sounds like a perfect case for me.

I emailed intershoot for postage price and am awaiting a reply.

Looked on Ebay and the prices are good but they are looking for $117 in postage too which makes it about the same as the UK prices but with the added problem that you could get caught for VAT and Duty.

Thank you all for the help too! Great amount of knowledge here, enough to keep me reading for a long time :)

Yeah mines the 20" and there is aloads of room in it. What caliber out of curisosity and optics?

It is in .223 cal which is enough for me for now :) and the gun is much more capable than I am :D

The scope is a Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50mm ballistic mill dot with tactical turrets. Scope is held in place with Warne tactical rings on picatanny rail.

I have the muzzle brake too, which looks nice but isnt needed. Also have the usual extras, bipod, etc.

Mines .223 as well in similar enough config. If you shoot in the midlands I love to compare the accuracy of the 20" versus the 24".

Hi Rew, I am currently looking to join the midlands or An Riocht in Kerry, Both are similar distances from me.

You are more than welcome to try it if I am down there.

Which T3 do you use Rew? What rate of twist? just curious.

T3 Tac same as yours but with the shorter barrell. I have a Leupold Mark 8.5-24x50 and optilock mounts/rings. Midlands is great range. The ability to go from 25-300 by simply walking down the fireing point is fantastic. An having proper cover from the elements makes all the diference as well.

Nice set up Rew,

Its been 3 years since I was at the midlands so I imagine it must be a good spot now.

Never been to An Riocht but have a few friends who have joined it. Where as I dont really know anyone who uses the Midlands, but that wouldnt stop me joining it :)

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    Never been to An Riocht but have a few friends who have joined it. Where as I dont really know anyone who uses the Midlands, but that wouldnt stop me joining it :)

never heard of it but sounds like it would be very far from me. Have you tried out much ammo, im hopping to get my hands on some 75gr Hornady match.

Both ranges are abput 2 hours from me so its a complete toss up, although I like the facilities MLRC have.

Not used much ammo, federal premium 64gr was the heaviest and it shot great, for a hunting round. No one down my side stocks match ammo and to be honest I have not shot on a range yet with this rifle, only on private land at targets.

the 75gr hornady should be sweet, be interested to hear how it goes.

I was told not to go higher than 77gr by one mate and 79gr weight by another :) so I think the 75gr would be a safe compromise for me.

Advertisement