Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Need For Speed?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I tried the latest Undercover game hoping it would be better than that horrible Prostreet. Well this one is just as bad(seriously, don't waste money).

The game's main selling point is that you can do J turns and when you do a 360 degree turn you can watch your car from a stationary angle, and they had 2 years to develop it, how great is THAT! :rolleyes:

It's so twitchy, unrealistic, uninspired and just blah... after I got rid of it, I decided while I was at it, I'd try the very first game just for kicks. Installed it, ran it and...... WOW! :eek:

There is no comparison at all, this is the true and the only THE Need For Speed. It is a real simulator, the cars feel real, the race is realistic, no bullcrap with cut scenes and stories, just pure racing, and all the videos that are in the game are of the cars, not some hot chick with short skirt.

It's too bad that NFS series got ruined so badly, NFSII, HPII and MW were great games I have to say but they were arcade games, the first one was a simulator.

This is, The Need For Speed, I fell in love with when I first saw and played it on Panasonic 3DO, oh the memories.

I like this cover.
    f72797a06ad234ba.jpg

And graphics are still great too...

1227267739.png
    1227246161.png

Oh yea, stationary camera while doing the 360 turns.

1227222076.png

Take that EA for ruining the franchise that started oh so well.

1227241367.png

If they only released with game for a 360 with an online support, along with Road Rash, while they are at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I beat a lambo in a 240Zx :cool: Then a police car caught up with me :( and rammed me off the road :eek: But it was grand cos on corners rather than turn i just hit the wall at 140mph :rolleyes: and bounced around it and came out other side at 140mph and left the 210mph Lambo miles behind :eek: but the Ford SUV police car overtook me and handbraked in front of me :confused: all at 10fps with an 8800gtx 1024x768 everything off.

Seriously a big pile o ****ing ****e.

NFS:HP2 is greatest in the series and thanks to hamachi can still be played now.

Im sure someone is makingkilling road rash now in a new free roaming 3d remake sponsored by Make My Custom Bike SOUTHSIDE!!!!!.

Shame i could never make that GTA:SA Road rash mod :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm sorely disappointed already :( From YouTube vids I thought it was going back to Most Wanted style...Though the classics are still the best but I got past that! Ah well! Time to find a newer fresher series (that will be ruined after a few sequels). "Hello RaceDriver: GRID"

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Most wanted wasnt bad was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Soby wrote: »

Its the last good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I love Most Wanted, it looks amazing when I got my (new at the time) pc. Carbon wasn't impressive at all, and I didn't even try ProStreet.

Most Wanted was very, very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I tried the latest Undercover game hoping it would be better than that horrible Prostreet. Well this one is just as bad(seriously, don't waste money).

ah crap :( my rental of this just arrived in the door today. I've been looking forward to this game as I really want the series to return to form. I didn't mind prostreet but it didn't feel like a true NFS game due to it not being sandbox. The later speed challenges really saved that game, but it was just average. Carbon was abysmal, and showed how EA really panders to the casual gamers. The police where useless, compared to the stress of trying to outrun the police in Most Wanted, the ones in Carbon could be evaded by merely taking a right turn and stopping. They also made all the cars look like they where coated in a layer of varnish
    Soby wrote: »

No it wasn't. Most Wanted, imo, is the best in the series. The balance between cop chases and races was excellent. Sometimes I'd play the game for hours just evading the cops and trying to see how long I could last. The AI on the cops was also excellent. I remember being always impressed at how efficiently they could force me into a boxed formation regardless of how I was driving or where I was driving.

Only good part of Carbon was the Canyon duel - would have liked to see that used in tournaments rather than the usual straight ghost race filled with wallbashing and riding...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Most Wanted, imo, is the best in the series. The balance between cop chases and races was excellent. Sometimes I'd play the game for hours just evading the cops and trying to see how long I could last. The AI on the cops was also excellent. I remember being always impressed at how efficiently they could force me into a boxed formation regardless of how I was driving or where I was driving.

Completely agree. Carbon was a let down and Prostreet was pants :(
    They should go Most Wanted II !

oh... my... god... :mad: this is so bad

Not only does it look and feel like a poor mans Burnout, but it has absolutely horrendous frame rate issues on my PS3, I mean horrible.

I've also got this game for the PC *ahem* so I think I'll see if playing it on that solves the framerate issues. Don't really know if I'll bother though as I did a few races and was decidedly unimpressed.

Really disappointed as I was looking forward to this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

For anyone wanting to play the older games

http://www.nfs-planet.de/mission.php?lang=eng

http://www.nfscars.net/file/view/porscheunleashed/8095.aspx

http://www.nd4spdworld.com/?section=gtmod

Cars and tracks can be found there, if playing online remember what you replaced what car with what ie if you put a Veyron in over the elise make sure the other guy has the veyron too, or a raping will ensue.

NFSHp2 and the above sites are excellent, Koenniseg vs veyron is interesting with 2 decent players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

First one was good, Second one was decent, I don't know what happened after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

L31mr0d wrote: »
    They also made all the cars look like they where coated in a layer of varnish

In Undercover, they made roads look like million trucks turned over while carrying varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Loved Most Wanted on the ps2. I never got it on 360, though. Now is as good a time as ever. i wonder where i can get it cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

My favourite Need For Speed was the Porsche one. I think it was NFS: Porsche Unleashed or something like that, only came out for PC around 2000ish. Lots of very authentic Porsche's and really nice road races through Europe.

I think the Fast and the Furious ruined NFS. Once they hooked onto that sales went through the roof, and quality went through the floor. And in the last couple of years they seem to just be randomly throwing gimmicks at the game to see what sticks. I'm expecting NFS: Hovercraft Racer next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

just received it there at lunch time and was really worried with the reviews others had given

played the first couple of races and i hope to god it gets a bit harder, as others/reviews have mentioned, its a case of just holding down the acc and u blow past other cars even though you've the least modified.
    steering also seems very sensitive although there is probably an option to adjust this. havent noticed the frame rate issues yet. there are no trophies so does this indicate a patch is on the way?
    wish id held off on buying it til a few reviews went up although i will give it a decent outing tonight after work. if it still leaves me unfullfilled, any ideas how much xtravision are offering for trade in, possibly try get midnight club instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

steviec wrote: »
    My favourite Need For Speed was the Porsche one. I think it was NFS: Porsche Unleashed or something like that, only came out for PC around 2000ish. Lots of very authentic Porsche's and really nice road races through Europe.
    Yep have to agree with you. I still have PU but cant get it working with Vista... Still IMO it is (Still) the best of the bunch.

It seems to run a lot better on the PC, graphically it's marginally better. But it's way down my list of games I want to play atm. There's just nothing engaging about it.

My biggest gripe is that the world is so empty and sterile. Does everything have to look glossed, and for there to be 1 car on the road per mile.

I'm going to keep playing it on and off anyway, because Pro Street really picked up in quality around the 50% complete mark. I've yet to see though what seperates this game from any of the others in the series. It seems very textbook, with nothing really new added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

NFS prosche was v cool though personally my fav out of the need for speeds was NFS 2 , with all the supercars and some great memorable tracks as well as the backing music was v euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm really enjoying it :o
    *puts hand up to cover face from apples being thrown*

But thats because the only games i play are FPS so its a break from me when i get stressed with the online killing :P

The only other racer i ever loved was Gran Turismo 2+3

I'm about 2 or 3 hours into this and I suppose it's ok. It's got all the elements that made Most Wanted so good, but I guess that's it's problem. Most Wanted was new and fresh, whereas this is just a remake with "different" graphics (I wouldn't say better, as it's like they've used way too much HDR and bloom with this game)

My biggest gripe is that on the PC it doesn't prompt for the 360 controller keys, rather the keyboard keys when you are in the menus. NFS had this same issue in Carbon and Pro Street, you'd think they could of fixed it by now :mad:

• Advertisement

According to ClanBase, there are conflicting rumours over the future of the NFS series. One group is saying it is to be cut while another is saying that it will be developed by the same team that did Burnout.

🤪

Finished the game there last week. Bit of an anti-climatic ending and very obvious

Here's a video I did of myself with the pagani zonda. The races are way to easy to win with it.

Also, for anyone with the PC version, he is a mod that reduces the HDR and bloom to acceptable levels. I only found out about it after I'd completed the game :(

http://files.filefront.com/NFSUC+HD+PATCHrar/;12454808;/fileinfo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

NFS was always shíte. Far too arcadey, Gran Turismo, TOCA or PGR for the win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Need for Speed on the 3DO, sheer bliss.
    The original game of course that was converted to the PS with more tracks and better frame rate, but lower colour depth, ah well...
    The second one sucked but the third installment, the fourth and the porsche editions were all excellent.
    Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 was class, sadly the Xbox and GC versions were done by a different team and sucked.
    After that, all downhill for me, the feeling of racing automotive exotica gone, replaced by high powered illuminated jap imports instead.
    Only Most Wanted made me buy again.

They lost sight of why the series was great, right back to the very beginning, Test Drive on the PC, Amiga and Megadrive. Made by the same people these games let you feel the open road, no laps thank you, and dueling with the clock, the cops and/or a lone nemesis.

Here here, lets see The Need For Speed on XBLA as soon as possible, please! The 3DO one, natch!

Of course, the soul of the series lives on in Test Drive Unlimited, now thats a racing game.

Advertisement