Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&K M249 Gearbox question

Options
  • 20-11-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

The A&K M249 gearbox is a V3 just in a odd configuration right? Can I replace the current spring guide with a standard v3 one?

Cheers
    Chuck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

good to hear your getting man haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

amaughan wrote: »
    good to hear your getting man haha

Already have one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

Already have one :D

yes yes yeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss hahaha well have too head up to gtac someday and rip them galway boys a new one just like i did at the gathering haha anyway back on topic i dont know a thing about this subject good bye haha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

no, a 249 gearbox is completely different in the way it works, the spring is quick release and the guide it sits on is nothing like a V3 gearbox.,

vtec wrote: »
    no, a 249 gearbox is completely different in the way it works, the spring is quick release and the guide it sits on is nothing like a V3 gearbox.,

Cheers Vtec, wasn't sure if it took a V3 spring guide (haven't opened it yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Actually Richie........

The A&K m249 gearbox will take v2/v3 gearbox parts just fine. The gearbox shell itself obviously is a completely different layout, but the rest of the parts are the same. (Motor is short type though)

Regards the spring guide, a standard v2/v3 spring guide should fit just fine. When you take the original spring guide and quick release mechanism out, there is an allen head bolt in the back, remove this and the spring guide can be seperated from the quick release section, simply screw in the new one and re-install.

Edit: v3 spring guide has wider tabs, not sure if there's enough room for them, v2 with the smaller tabs fits just fine though in mine.

yeah thats pretty much what i meant, the V3 spring guide doesnt fit it. it uses the same motor and gears as a V3 though., i havent tried a V2 one.

yeah thats pretty much what i meant, the V3 spring guide doesnt fit it. it uses the same motor and gears as a V3 though., i havent tried a V2 one.

cover-up FAIL

Just for you keith, ive just rebuilt a 249 box and, as I said, ITS NOT V3 COMPATIBLE! :p

BwhahahaaaHAAHaha!
    Epic FAIL! 4 teh lulz! :D

EDIT:
    Whistles.......:o

Just for you keith, ive just rebuilt a 259 box and, as I said, ITS NOT V3 COMPATIBLE! :p

fail again :)

• Advertisement

Just took out the mechbox of my m249 to give it a clean and have a look at it (dear god it weighs about the same as the rest of the mkII!!!!!). The spring guide does look like a v2 but I don't have one to hand to check but since I've one on the way for my M4 I'll check it when it arrives.

Thanks for the help lads. I f3ar y0ur 1337 skills! :pac::pac::pac:

its the same type as the one fitted in a JG 416., ya might wanna get a new micro switch too, thats a pretty common failure on the A&K and a decent one wouldnt cost very much, you also dont need to strip the gearbox to fit them in.,:)

Yup, maplin do the microswitches, i'd recommend changing it, especially if you plan on using anything bigger than an 8.4v battery

Read about the 'spring' on the micro switches getting bent and you've to remove the battery to get it to stop firing so I'll be doing that.

Now one more question - there is a connector (bit of metal for a wire to slip onto) on the switch (near the spring that presses on the switch and and just inside of the hole in the mechbox that the switch is in) without a wire on it (the connector above it has a wire on it). Anyone know does this do anything?

The mechbox works fine, and I didn't open it so I didn't disconnect anything just wonder if it did anything.

You don't need that connector, that's a "push to make" or "push to break" option., if you where to remove the wire beside it and switch them, the gun would fire constantly until you pull the trigger, then it would stop while the trigger is pulled.,

Its a universal switch thats used in a lot of different things.,

That's the Normally Open connector on the microswitch. i.e. it will allow current to flow when the switch is not pressed. If you hooked up the motor to this your gun would fire whenever you released the trigger. It's used for other applications with microswitches but is redundant for airsoft use.

Are you doing the text equivilent of repeating everything i say?

:p

kdouglas wrote: »
    but is redundant for airsoft use.

Or is it? I have a cunning plan ;)

Are you doing the text equivilent of repeating everything i say?

:p

Are you?

lol, didn't see your reply.

Right another question:

Cylinder head - version 2 or 3?

• Advertisement

they're the same i think?

/me checks

Edit: Yea, quick google and from what i can tell they are the same

Edit again: Maybe not, but from what I remember, the m249 gearbox uses a v2 cylinder head

/me scratches head, the ol' memory is a bit off tonight

Cheers for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ke6n

kdouglas wrote: »
    Yup, maplin do the microswitches, i'd recommend changing it, especially if you plan on using anything bigger than an 8.4v battery

hey, unfortunate to see people with the same problems but at least im not alone. got an a&k m249 para and had the runaway problems. just finished reassembleng the gearbox and found the microswitch to be the problem not clicking twice. so they do them in maplin... do you know the exact name of this microswitch to save me from going in and well rambling about a ''toy'' i need to fix:D

just bring the switch with ya, there on the wall and not very hard to find. make sure to shape the arm of the new switch to match closely the one you are removing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ke6n

Masada wrote: »
    just bring the switch with ya, there on the wall and not very hard to find. make sure to shape the arm of the new switch to match closely the one you are removing. :)

thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Evansy

Dont get tempted to press the switch once its installed to check it works without bending it either.
    I did that and one of the gears caught the switch and bent it up into the gearbox and jammed in into the fire position.

Advertisement