Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing Sports Events

• 20-11-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

Hello all, Im looking for some advice as regarding photographing sports events where children are playing, soccer, gaa. Is there a legal issue photographing my own child playing soccer? An issue arose at a match last weekend when I was approched by a parent who "Informed" me that under the child protection act?? I had to get consent from the parents who's children are in the photo shot before I could even get them printed or put on a CD?
    Has anybody got anybody any information on this as to where some is legally?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

www.digitalrights.ie - Pamphlets! Photographers rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭shoegirl

IRFU make it part of their ticket conditions that photos are not supposed to be sold for profit except by officially designated photographers. Not sure if this has been challenged though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Where the sports event is taking place in a public place, you cannot be asked to stop taking photographs. Private sports grounds can prevent you from using cameras.

If the photos are taken in a public place, the people in those photographs cannot prevent you from publishing them unless the photo has been altered or otherwise would infringe on their privacy. For example, if you had a number of kids changing on the sideline because there was no changing rooms, you be be expected to respect their privacy.

Advertisement