Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kicked off of the 56A!

• 20-11-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Apologies in advance for rambling but I need to get this off my chest!

I am a student, in Trinity College and every day I get the bus from Crumlin to Dame Street, costs €1.50 each way. 5 buses go down that route. (50, 55A, 77, 77A, 150)

Today however, I was in a lab down the east end until 5 p.m. and decided to walk down Pearse street. Thought I could catch a bus there before the crowds packed on. Hopped on a 56A, paid my €1.50 and sat upstairs...

The bus gets to Dolphins Barn, 3 stops away from mine. Then the bus driver starts calling "Dolphin's Barn, Dolphin's Barn!" before announcing via intercom that I had to get off because my ticket said dolphin's barn! I was shocked! He came upstairs, pointed me out, told me to check me ticket and said he will not move until I get off! I had not realized that the fare should have been 1.70, and besides that I only had the 1.50.
    I told him this is not my stop and he said "fine, we'll wait for the guards". I refused to get out and walk for 10-15 minutes in the rain!
    So I ended up confronting him downstairs, ask him why he is being like this, to which he replied "I didn't like your attitude" I offered to pay the extra 20 cent (which I didn't have), and he refused. Other passengers came down and asked how much the fare was and he refused.
    He stayed in his cab, and started reading the Herald. I gave out to him for forcing me to walk in the rain and holding everyone up.

"I don't care, I get paid €28 per hour!"

He was really brash, and smart-alecky about it. He wouldn't give me his name, but shouted back - a well rehearsed - procedure for making a complaint.

Against all my principals, I got off the bus for 2 reasons.
    1) The Gardai have far more important things to do than respond to the call out of this incident.
    2) It would be unfair on the other passengers, as he made it clear he didn't care.

As he pulled off he looked out and me grinning and waved.

I took down the bus registration and immediately phone Dublin Bus, which was ringing through to the complaints line for 15 minutes before I hung up!

I accept that the fare from from Pearse street to my stop is €1.70.
    What I do not accept is that if there are junkies shooting up, people drinking or smoking on the bus, often nothing is done about it! His behavior was ridiculous and waaay out of line In my opinion!! Surely it is a bus inspectors decision to decide to kick somebody off the bus?

To quote a passenger, "He's bent on power, a little Hitler!"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The driver was perfectly right, and entitled to do what he did. Fare evasion is the slippery slope to other anti-social behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Victor wrote: »
    The driver was perfectly right, and entitled to do what he did. Fare evasion is the slippery slope to other anti-social behaviour.

What right did the bus driver have to refuse the 1.70 being offered from other passengers on the OP's behalf. It is a public service.

If this is true, its obvious to me anyways that the driver was on a pure power trip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Me arse tbh.

The driver was completely out of line.

OP, you REALLY need to report this, and not back down until you get a satisfactory answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

This is the sort of story that Joe Duffy would absolutely lap up. Name and shame I say.

Hope you get satisfaction out of whichever path you decide to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you do complain, they'll manage to be unable to tell what driver was on that shift that day, as happened when I complained about a driver verbally abusing me when I queried why he changed route after boarding. Got a 'we'll make sure it doesn't happen again' type response (despite them saying they didn't know who the driver was....).

Gave up complaining to them since. Given up using them, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

sarcasm radars on the blink lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

I think the driver was right in what he did, you didn't pay the full fare.. simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

patrickc wrote: »
    I think the driver was right in what he did, you didn't pay the full fare.. simple as

You can't be serious? Firstly, that isn't the driver's job at all, that's what inspectors are for. He just didn't like the OP and decided to pull a power trip. Secondly, the OP didn't realise he had underpaid, and offered to make up the difference, which the driver rejected. Other passengers were willing to give them the entire cost of a new fare, which the driver had no right to reject, unless the OP was being drunk, abusive or causing problems to others, which he was not. Thirdly; The driver stopped the bus and disrupted the journey of everybody else on board, arrogantly stating that he was being paid either way and didn't give a **** about the service he was providing.

You can't actually think this was justified over a 20c error. Seriously... There's no way in hell you actually believe that. Please retract that post.

Don't be a troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 TheDublinMan

Even when the fare was offered the driver refused.
    Which sounds more like he was having a pox of a day and decided that little fecker that always paid 20cent less than he's supposed to was going to walk those extra two stops in the rain. (cue evil laugh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I do not think he was right to single me out like that! I am not saying that i agree with fair evasion, but how often do you find that the driver hasn't pushed the "stage button" and issues you a ticket from a completely different stop? Nobody ever says anything about that coz it's not really a big deal! And why have i been on countless number of buses with people smoking and drinking on them and be allowed to stay on??

Me arse tbh.

The driver was completely out of line.

OP, you REALLY need to report this, and not back down until you get a satisfactory answer!
    I pretty much emailed them this post word for word. Will probably have to follow it up with a letter.
    But he wouldn't even accept the fare(that other passenger offered) up to my stop! He had already made up is mind and was not gonna back down

• Advertisement

Thanks for your support everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You go to Trinity. The bus driver was just taking out a bad day on someone who he knows is far superior to him mentally and probably in every other way as well. I see it in UCD as well.
    You have to remember though that most bus drivers are sound, pricks like this bus driver ruins the name of the good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

But it's not "simple as"...

Yes, he was correct to to insist that the full fare be paid and refuse to allow the passenger to continue...
    He came upstairs, pointed me out, told me to check me ticket and said he will not move until I get off! I had not realized that the fare should have been 1.70, and besides that I only had the 1.50.

But he had no right to refuse money from the other passengers to cover the measley 20 cent fare...
    Other passengers came down and asked how much the fare was and he refused.
    He stayed in his cab, and started reading the Herald.

Think of it this way. Say you were getting on a bus and your ticket was 1.50. You had 1 euro in your hand, so you dig for the other 50 cent in your pocket. You don't have 50 cent, so you ask somebody (your friend, another passenger etc.) for 50 cent. The bus driver accepts the 1 euro but doesn't accept the 50 cent because "somebody lend it to you". Would you consider that a fair reason not to accept money?

If not then certainly there is a valid case to be made...

I don't like to see people "shrugging" this off when clearly, if the truth is being told here, the man was out-of-order and completely unlawful.

Not to mention the fact that he sounds like an arrogant tosser, but that is beside the point... if he did genuinely refuse to accept the 20 cent from other passengers and forced you to walk in the rain, then you do have a case against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

You can look at this a couple of ways. The driver was either a very conscientious employee , or a dickhead. But no matter what you think he has the law on his side and the op was in the wrong.
    I refused to get out and walk for 10-15 minutes in the rain!

You didn't have a valid ticket to travel any further and therefore had no right to be on the bus.
    I gave out to him for forcing me to walk in the rain and holding everyone up.

You were the one holding up the bus,you were the one that refused to get off and then started arguing.

Sounds like you know you were in the wrong.
    Surely it is a bus inspectors decision to decide to kick somebody off the bus?

Driver is entitled to ask you to leave the bus and it is an offence to refuse. You were actually lucky there was no inspector around as if you had travelled without a valid ticket , you would have been liable for the standard fare of €50.
    "He's bent on power, a little Hitler!"

Most likely very true ;) and you will meet many people like this in all walks of life. Don't give them the satisfaction. That's something you can't learn in Trinity, welcome to the university of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Victor wrote:
    passive wrote: »
    Don't be a troll...
    +1 Especially from a mod of this forum! :rolleyes:

The driver in question was way out of line and (since we're talking about adhering to the letter of the law here) shouldn't have left his cab in the first place if I'm right? As for the whinging from a few posters here about the OP "evading" the fare.. he paid the fare, just apparently not enough but with DB's ridiculously overcomplicated fare structure how is anyone supposed to know what the fare is - he already mentioned it wasn't his normal journey.

Just another CIE jobsworth that thinks he's clever and unfortunately there's plenty more like him. €28 an hour?? If that's true then it's no wonder public transport is in the state it's in with having to keep people like that in a job.

I'd advise you to follow up on it OP, but the reality is that even if you do get through to someone that'll take the complaint (best bet is to call the depot directly rather than Head Office - RINGSEND Depot. Telephone (01)703 4533), then you'll never know if anything is ever actually done as "it's an internal matter" but it might give you some satisfaction anyway.

Yet another reason why people avoid public transport unless they've no other option.

You didn't have a valid ticket to travel any further and therefore had no right to be on the bus.
    My ticket was valid up the stop that we were at. So why wouldn't he accept the fare for another journey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Next time do try to sound like a Tallaghtfornian .

StAAAWry Budhhhh !!!

He will leave you alone then .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Yet another reason why people avoid public transport unless they've no other option.

I agree with what you said, but to be fair, I doubt this happens to that many people.

But I'm sure there are rules regarding how the driver must handle a situation like this, and from the sounds of it he was way out-of-line. I am sure other bus drivers would've handled the situation a lot more reasonably...

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I agree with what you said, but to be fair, I doubt this happens to that many people.

But I'm sure there are rules regarding how the driver must handle a situation like this, and from the sounds of it he was way out-of-line. I am sure other bus drivers would've handled the situation a lot more reasonably...
    I don't think it would have ever happened otherwise! I can't believe this was even a "situation". I have never seen this happen before, and I find it REALLY hard to believe that i am the only person EVER to have "evaded the fare" if you want to put it like that.
    I just think that it is unacceptable for a a person like this to be treating the public with such lack of dignity. He was very unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Can't believe some people are actually siding with the bus driver! Obviously common sense and courtesy aren't part of a bus drivers job.
    I know all bus drivers aren't like this, but I was on a bus at a terminus in Finglas a while ago and the driver wouldn't let the 1 pensioner on the bus till 10am. They had to stand in the rain while the bus driver read his paper. I was allowed on no problem, and when the drivers watch went past 10 he let the old guy on!
    But some of the posters here would probably think that's grand, the driver was following the rules. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My ticket was valid up the stop that we were at. So why wouldn't he accept the fare for another journey?

He didn't want to back down at that point because he might have lost face. Now it's arguable that your behaviour could have been interpreted as "soliciting alms" which is prohibited on buses and is another reason to remove someone from the bus.

BluntGuy wrote: »

Something similar happened my wife last year. Bus driver stopped and told her this was her stop. When she told him she wanted to go further he asked fo another .45c. She was very embarrassed and apologised and paid the extra few cent. As someone already pointed out the fare structure is too complicated and passengers can easily make a mistake and not pay the correct fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you are quick enough DB should have every piece of this episode on cam. Could be fun to watch, driver chasing up the stairs, reading Herald, etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I worked in Dublin Bus for nearly four years. I left for a number of reasons, but one of the reasons, was guys like this. There are too many of them in Dublin Bus, and they are always protected by the union.

There is no excuse for this kind of behaviour, it is against every shred of proper customer service training, and Dublin Bus, and all the good, decent, customer orientated employees, are ruined by it.

By all means complain, and complain by letter, preferably personally to the District Manager or somebody at that level, but do not expect any satisfaction.

More time should be spent prioritising customers, streamlining the route network, and achieving more efficient operation, and less time protecting guys like this and keeping them in a job they do not deserve and are totally unsuited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Driver was an idiot, should have taken his picture with your camera phone to send to dublin bus, also would have riled him up a bit id say. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Forgetting about everything else, is the driver leaving the cab unattended with passengers on the bus not a disciplinary offence in itself?

If you were to take any photos, thats the one you would want to have been taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The simple fat is that this happened because the passenger was in the wrong, he overtravelled (or attempted to do so) which is against the conditions of carriage and despite the nonsense some people here are saying the driver was well within his rights to confront him about it.

It is the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have the correct fare for the journey they intend to take. The suggestion that the thread starter was not at fault because of the complex fare structure is also nonsense, if he was unsure about the fare then he should have told the driver his destination on boarding the bus and he would then have been told the correct fare.

Of course he admitted in his first post that he didn't have the correct fare anyway so not finding out the correct fare was very convenient for him until the driver decided to pull him up on it.

The idea that the driver should have or HAD to accept the extra money either from the evader or other passengers is total nonsense. If it was offered before he had travelled or voluntarily when he got to the last stop he had paid for then yes but it was only after he was caught attempting to evade. If the consequence for being caught overtravelling was just to pay the extra to make up the correct fare then why would anybody bother paying more than the lowest fare and take their chances?

The penalty for fare evading is the standard fare which is a hell of a lot more than 20c. failing that the passenger had come to the end of his paid journey and the driver had every right to ensist he left the bus.

As for not backing down he was dead right, once he had insisted the evader leave the bus he would have been a fool to capitulate because the passenger resisted and got agressive.

BTW, I am a bus driver myself, for Bus Eireann so I have some experience with these type of situations. I would point out that in this we have one side of an altercation, no doubt if the driver involved were to give an account of the same situation it would read very differently.

I have never worked for Dublin Bus and our ticketing procedures are different but from what I know it would be fair to say the poster was unlucky to be caught, overtravelling is a common occourence on Dublin Bus and mostly goes unchallenged. That however is no excuse and just because he was singled out where others have got away with it does not mean what he did was acceptable.

I am not going to pass judgement on the driver's actions, maybe he was out of line, maybe not. In my experience it is usually a case of a situation escalating to a point where a relatively minor problem turns into a large scene because both sides refuse to back down, sometimes that is because the driver mis-handles things and sometimes it is simply unavoidable. Once the decision is made to confront someone rather than turn a blind eye it is always a risk but once the decision is made it is better to stand your ground than to capitulate.

Not bothering to confront anyone over anything seems to be the done thing now in Dublin Bus and it would appear to be endorsed by management also. On an day-to-day basis it is I am sure the best approach for most drivers who just want to do their job and go home with the least aggro possible but in the wider picture that attitude has contributed to the situation where a large minority of bus users consider the upper deck of city buses a place where they are free to do anything they like from fare-evading to shooting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

TirEoghain wrote: »
    Forgetting about everything else, is the driver leaving the cab unattended with passengers on the bus not a disciplinary offence in itself?

No, it isn't, there are numerous reasons why a driver would have to leave his cab while in service.

As for taking photos, there are security cameras dotted around the bus so it would be rather pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Hi all,
    Apologies in advance for rambling but I need to get this off my chest!

I am a student, in Trinity College and every day I get the bus from Crumlin to Dame Street, costs €1.50 each way. 5 buses go down that route. (50, 55A, 77, 77A, 150)

Today however, I was in a lab down the east end until 5 p.m. and decided to walk down Pearse street. Thought I could catch a bus there before the crowds packed on. Hopped on a 56A, paid my €1.50 and sat upstairs...

The bus gets to Dolphins Barn, 3 stops away from mine. Then the bus driver starts calling "Dolphin's Barn, Dolphin's Barn!" before announcing via intercom that I had to get off because my ticket said dolphin's barn! I was shocked! He came upstairs, pointed me out, told me to check me ticket and said he will not move until I get off! I had not realized that the fare should have been 1.70, and besides that I only had the 1.50.
    I told him this is not my stop and he said "fine, we'll wait for the guards". I refused to get out and walk for 10-15 minutes in the rain!
    So I ended up confronting him downstairs, ask him why he is being like this, to which he replied "I didn't like your attitude" I offered to pay the extra 20 cent (which I didn't have), and he refused. Other passengers came down and asked how much the fare was and he refused.
    He stayed in his cab, and started reading the Herald. I gave out to him for forcing me to walk in the rain and holding everyone up.

He was really brash, and smart-alecky about it. He wouldn't give me his name, but shouted back - a well rehearsed - procedure for making a complaint.

Against all my principals, I got off the bus for 2 reasons.
    1) The Gardai have far more important things to do than respond to the call out of this incident.
    2) It would be unfair on the other passengers, as he made it clear he didn't care.

As he pulled off he looked out and me grinning and waved.

I took down the bus registration and immediately phone Dublin Bus, which was ringing through to the complaints line for 15 minutes before I hung up!

What I do not accept is that if there are junkies shooting up, people drinking or smoking on the bus, often nothing is done about it! His behavior was ridiculous and waaay out of line In my opinion!! Surely it is a bus inspectors decision to decide to kick somebody off the bus?

To quote a passenger, "He's bent on power, a little Hitler!"

lets look at this from both points. firstly the o.p. point.
    he gets on a bus a few stages earlier than where he normally gets on. doesn't pay the correct fare and when he's asked to leave the bus refuses and go down to confront the driver and only after a while does he leave.

now the drivers point of view.
    passenger gets on pays a fare, somehow came across as someone who was going to overstay their stages, and was confronted when asking a passenger to leave the bus.

the o.p. should've asked what the fare was to where he was going and if he didn't have the correct fare explain this to the driver. most drivers use common sense but at the same time not take responsability for for a passenger overstaying their fare. the o.p. said it wasn't his stop when confronted instead of saying he made a mistake about the fare.
    personally i do not entertain passengers giving money to another for their fare when it's on a bus.
    the worst thing the o.p. did was to confront the driver. he should've held his hands up and said he was wrong.
    there are signs on buses pointing out about correct fare, stating destination and having a valid ticket.

the o.p. goes on about other behaviour and other posters go on about the driver leaving their cab. unless soemthing is brouight to our attention there is noting we can do about it. as for leaving the cab, drivers are not ensured if anything happens after leaving the cab but we can leave the cab for any number of reasons ,those ranging from people interfering with emergency exits to dealing with a complaint. i have on many occassions left my cab to remove smokers this being the last resort of course anmd will continue to do so in the future should the need arise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't realy add much to this thread except:

Proposed new fare:

1 euro short journey
    2 euro long journey (maybe 7 stages, I don't have the technical details)
    50c for a child
    Lots of incentives for electronic tickets to cut down on cash

This is offtopic but would cut down on messing!

If was a passenger on the bus, I'd be raging at both the driver and the OP. Both of ye held up 50 plus people, though you don't state how many were on the bus.

The OP should have put on a rough accent, smoked and been fighting. Sure this goes on my bus every day and the driver doesn't seem to care! :mad:
    Did I forget to blare dance music from your mobile!
    Maybe the driver went after an easy target but wouldn't target anti-social behaviour at all

micmclo wrote: »
    Can't realy add much to this thread except:

Proposed new fare:

1 euro short journey
    2 euro long journey (maybe 7 stages, I don't have the technical details)
    50c for a child
    Lots of incentives for electronic tickets to cut down on cash

This is offtopic but would cut down on messing!

If was a passenger on the bus, I'd be raging at both the driver and the OP. Both of ye held up 50 plus people, though you don't state how many were on the bus.

The OP should have put on a rough accent, smoked and been fighting. Sure this goes on my bus every day and the driver doesn't seem to care! :mad:
    Did I forget to blare dance music from your mobile!
    Maybe the driver went after an easy target but wouldn't target anti-social behaviour at all
    totally agree with the fare structure. regards the rough accent etc. that wouldn't bother me, i'll get out of the cab deal with the passenger then staright back to the cab with screen up and then let the passenger make the next move. it doesn't matter how many passengers are on wether it's only 1 or 122. there are no easy targets where i'm concerned. as for music i've also confronted passengers for blaring music on their mobiles , letting the whole bus know whats goes on in their private lives etc.
    once a matter is brought to my attention i will deal with it. bus drivers are like everyone else you have some bad ones as well as good ones.
    as a bus driver i've had to deal with almost every type of passenger and my approach to an agressive passenger when they're leaving is to blow them a kiss :D
    oh and one other thing. a bus driver does not have to give their name to any passenger no matter what the circumstances. a driver can easily be traced by the following bus reg/i.d. and time. thats all you need.
    even though i've been trained the same as every other driver in dublin bus i'm no robot and will act as i see fit on each individual case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

OP, you should get a bicycle or moped, they're faster than the bus and you don't have to listen to dickhead bus drivers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thats not fair at all i havent got the bus in years and recently took it the fare used to be €1.60 so i put €1.60 in after realising it was €2 to bray i explained to the Driver he was like its grand remember next time! we all make mistakes some CIE workers live in a world of there own i was told to **** off for putting my foot in the door to let a lady and kids on the dart:rolleyes:

Like everything you get good and bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well like would the bus driver give a rats arse he only paid 1.50 anyway.like he said hes getting 28 euro a hour or so he said.I mean refusing money of passengers who id say would have offered the guy 1.70 not just 20c..If he's liable for a fine then the bus driver should be too for not accepting a fare on no valid grounds.Theres just some of them out there that dont like there job and love the power.ive meet one recently too
    as a bus driver i've had to deal with almost every type of passenger and my approach to an agressive passenger when they're leaving is to blow them a kiss :D
    haha long as i wasnt on the end of it id laugh at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

You go to Trinity. The bus driver was just taking out a bad day on someone who he knows is far superior to him mentally and probably in every other way as well. I see it in UCD as well.
    You have to remember though that most bus drivers are sound, pricks like this bus driver ruins the name of the good ones.

Id say you are right. If some scumbag got on the bus and started smoking would this driver have gone upstairs to confront him? I very much doubt it. Its drivers like this who give the decent drivers a bad name. Fair enough the OP underpaid but didnt do it deliberately. There was ways and means to go about this. Why didnt the driver ring for an inspector to get on at one of the stops? Pure power trip bully.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »

The idea that the driver should have or HAD to accept the extra money either from the evader or other passengers is total nonsense. If it was offered before he had travelled or voluntarily when he got to the last stop he had paid for then yes but it was only after he was caught attempting to evade. If the consequence for being caught overtravelling was just to pay the extra to make up the correct fare then why would anybody bother paying more than the lowest fare and take their chances?

He would not accept the FULL FARE for a NEW journey.
    As for not backing down he was dead right, once he had insisted the evader leave the bus he would have been a fool to capitulate because the passenger resisted and got agressive.

did i? No. No I did not. I gave out, but I did not shout or use foul language nor intimidate anyone(unlike the driver).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I really don't think I like the sound of that driver. The thing is OP, when he asked you to leave, you refused. What right did you have to refuse to get off the bus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

As far as I know the driver is not supposed to leave his cockpit unattended, it's a serious safety breach. I had an incident where a driver got out of his bus and had a go at me in my car for waiting for a turning light and wondering why I didn't run a red one. I didn't like his manner so rang Dublin Bus with the reg(I pulled to get him ahead of me) They returned my call promptly enough saying the driver should have never gotten out of his chair let alone his bus. They offered me a weekly pass but I declined since I rarely use Dublin Bus.

On the rare occassion that I do I always ask the driver how much for my destination, solves a lot of problems.

As for 28 euro an hour - maybe on overtime. Some of their attitudes do stink but it's a crap job, on your own all day stuck in traffic and loads of dopes to deal with. We all have our breaking points I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

personally i do not entertain passengers giving money to another for their fare when it's on a bus.

What, so if I ever get on to your bus with someone else, we'd better both make sure we have the exact change, because you won't "entertain" one of us handing chane to the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

What I find odd, OP, is that the driver somehow remembered you getting on at Pearse Street on a €1.50 ticket and noticing that you didn't alight the bus in that time. Any reason for you standing out in his memory that much, no discussion as to what fare you were paying? While I personally think that the driver seems to have overreacted from your account, at the same time he obviously didn't take this course of action as a regular thing and I doubt if it was a regular course of action that he took.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

First, the passenger did not evade a fare. He was not on the bus at any time when he wasn't supposed to be on.

Second, where are the stage divisions? Specifically, where was the passenger kicked off, and where exactly does the Dolphin's Barn stage end? It is also material where exactly the passenger boarded. Did he board at College Street, or at Pearse St?

There is also what appears a very arbitrary fare rule in relation to the outer stretch of this route. It seems very unfair to other passengers on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

First, the passenger did not evade a fare. He was not on the bus at any time when he wasn't supposed to be on.

Second, where are the stage divisions? Specifically, where was the passenger kicked off, and where exactly does the Dolphin's Barn stage end? It is also material where exactly the passenger boarded. Did he board at College Street, or at Pearse St?

There is also what appears a very arbitrary fare rule in relation to the outer stretch of this route. It seems very unfair to other passengers on the route.

The stage point is at Dolphins Barn cross roads so if his ticket shows it as the last point, then he'd be over carried at any point beyond it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What right did the bus driver have to refuse the 1.70 being offered from other passengers on the OP's behalf. It is a public service.

If this is true, its obvious to me anyways that the driver was on a pure power trip.

While you cannot go around painting everyone with the same brush - it is a fact that 97.34%* of all bus drivers are wánkers.

- This is clearly a sad case of a small man seizing what he thinks is a stunning opportunity to be a big man and subsequently failing in every respect possible :(

* Source - Central Statistics Office, special report November 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

We are obviously missing something from the original story. OP says

Later on the bus driver asks him to get off at Dolphins Barn. Ergo the bus driver knew that a passenger was on for Dolphins Barn; or many were and he had counted how many got off.

Why? Maybe this is something that Trinners students do a lot ( or people from this bus stop).

Clearly the OP was searching for a cheap ticket. Clearly he knew he only had 1.50. He nonchalantly mentioned he paid 1:50 but must have known where that should have taken him? He couldnt produce the extra 20c, so all he had to get home was 1:50 and may have trying to game the system. I think he knew what bus route he could take with the hope that 1:50 would work as well as 1:70 if he kept mum, but I think he intended to stay on. Which is minor fare evasion but seems deliberate. And possibly he is not alone. And possibly it was not the first time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

passive wrote: »

the OP didn't realise he had underpaid

Why do people always come back to this? Its not a defence.

Its up to you to make sure that you have paid the correct fare.

The bus drivers attitude was wrong but he was right in what he did.

I've been on a bus a few times when this has happened in the last week. Bus driver asked them to get off. The lads did while causing a big of agro. Bus was delayed by at most 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

kearnsr wrote: »
    Why do people always come back to this? Its not a defence.

Its up to you to make sure that you have paid the correct fare.

The bus drivers attitude was wrong but he was right in what he did.

I've been on a bus a few times when this has happened in the last week. Bus driver asked them to get off. The lads did while causing a big of agro. Bus was delayed by at most 5 mins.

what was the bus drivers motivation for kicking the op off the bus? Was he trying to prevent a situation where DB missed out on money it was entitled to? If so, the OP paying the new fare would have satisfied that. So we can only assume that the bus driver was "punishing" the OP for trying to evade the fare - forgetting the point for a moment that the OP should be considered innocent of deliberately trying to evade the fare until proved otherwise - the punishment was far in excess of what could be reasonably expected in a situation like this. So, in my eyes, it's really quite simple, the driver was an asshole.

You know what I reckon? I reckon the driver recognised the OP, noticed that the OP was a couple of stops before his normal stop, noticed that the OP didn't pay the extra fare, got pissed off about it for some reason, and spent the whole time beween the OP getting on and dolphin's barn rehearsing his big moment in his head.

Actually, maybe it's worth pointing this out, as to what "type of bus driver he was" -

Do you know when two buses come, and the one behind tries to sneak off? Well he was on of them drivers!

*I am really finicky about buses, e.g, if two buses come, i get on the one with least amount of people, or if an old one and a new one come together, I have to get on the new one. etc..*
    So @ Pearse Street, two buses came at once, and i ran down to get this one before he overtook the first one. I was the only person to get on there, but it only had a few people on at this stage.
    However, passengers @ Trinity College stop were not so lucky! He thought his bus was out of view and overtook the bus in front, even though there were passengers coming down to get it!!!!
    he was like that a most if the stops, not pulling in until he had to, almost trying to avoid picking people up.

And did i mention it was raining yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Actually, maybe it's worth pointing this out, as to what "type of bus driver he was" -

Do you know when two buses come, and the one behind tries to sneak off? Well he was on of them drivers!

*I am really finicky about buses, e.g, if two buses come, i get on the one with least amount of people, or if an old one and a new one come together, I have to get on the new one. etc..*
    So @ Pearse Street, two buses came at once, and i ran down to get this one before he overtook the first one. I was the only person to get on there, but it only had a few people on at this stage.
    However, passengers @ Trinity College stop were not so lucky! He thought his bus was out of view and overtook the bus in front, even though there were passengers coming down to get it!!!!
    he was like that a most if the stops, not pulling in until he had to, almost trying to avoid picking people up.

And did i mention it was raining yesterday?

being honest you don't have to speculate on what type of guy the driver is - just report the facts and people can make up their own mind. I find if you go down the "painting a picture" road, people start to think they are being sold a story..just my 2c

MOH wrote: »
    What, so if I ever get on to your bus with someone else, we'd better both make sure we have the exact change, because you won't "entertain" one of us handing chane to the other?
    theres a difference here between strangers giving someone the extra few cents and someone your travelling with. i have had on many ocassions passengers getting on my bus with no money and going up and downs the isles basically begging for the bus fare. i know this is not the case here.
    Then the bus driver starts calling "Dolphin's Barn, Dolphin's Barn!" before announcing via intercom that I had to get off because my ticket said dolphin's barn! I was shocked! He came upstairs, pointed me out, told me to check me ticket and said he will not move until I get off! I had not realized that the fare should have been 1.70, and besides that I only had the 1.50.
    I told him this is not my stop

antoinolachtnai i think this answers your last post. no doubt the ticket did say that stop where the driver asked him to leave. so therefore anything after the next stop is technically fare evasion even if it is a mistake on the O.P.'s part.most or all tickets give a specific location for a stage be it a shop, house number or a junction.
    i have on many occassions seen drivers do this, as well as refusing passengers for other things like bringing ,McDonalds on, hot drinks, filthy soiled clothes etc.
    To the O.P. to me giving out and being agressive are exactly the same thing.
    i know this thread maybe more of a rant than anything else, my suggestion for you or anyone is if your not sure about a fare ask the driver and if your short on change let the driver know and ask if it's alright to travel instead of paying a fare and going straight upstairs Also there were no passengers smoking, shooting up on your particular journey so as far as the driver was concerned the only problem he was aware of was someone had paid €1.50 and that fare had got them to where the ticket said and no further.
    I had not realized that the fare should have been 1.70, and besides that I only had the 1.50.
    tbh some stranger was paying the O.P.'s fare. he did not have anymore money after he paid for his ticket according to his quote.
    there have been threads here about people been fined at connolly stn. for not having valid tickets because they genuinely forget to renew their tickets or in the case of broombridge there is no place to buy tickets.
    as is pointed out everywhere you travel not having a valid ticket is no excuse if the zero tollerence unit had got on the O.P.'s bus then he would've been fined plain and simple.
    the only way someone like to O.P. would come to my attention is if they got on my bus and regularly paid €1.50 for a €1.70 journey.
    O.P. can i ask if you are male or female this is a very valid question and were the two buses the same number e.g. two 56A's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Jaysus that aint bad money,surely thats the overtime rate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement