Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Megane for 2.9K?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They're actually a nice little car. Assuming it checks out and it's had its cambelt, I can't see why it wouldn't be a good buy at €2,500. TBH, if I were buying it I might even go a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nice car. Try 2500 - nothing to lose, tbh.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

From personal experience I wouldnt buy a pack of Wrigleys Juicy Fruit of that crowd.

Car looks decent though

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I had a post recently asking for info on that dealer and it was all negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lads, lads, he's buying the car not marrying the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Would offer €2500 for it, looks like a good deal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Woodgate wrote: »
    I had a post recently asking for info on that dealer and it was all negative.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Lads, lads, he's buying the car not marrying the dealer.

True but if he has a problem with the car he has to go back to the dealer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

+1 on the dealer. auctions all the at the moment.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/Renault-/200847190907090/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭handbraker

I don't think this dealer gives warranty unless your prepared to pay extra for it. fair enough i rec as his prices are very low & he may not be getting enough margin to cover warranty. any car can give problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Something i only realised about older meganes recently ... they have a very high NCAP safety rating compared to other cars the same year. Worth more than bulletproof reliability to me if loved one in an accident.
    That ones nice colour and spec and looks very straight for the money that dealer has good prices on all his stuff

I agree with Anan 1

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

nice car. looks very comfortable. the onlt things i dont like about it are the colour and the fact it was different hubcaps on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭sk8board

nice car. looks very comfortable. the onlt things i dont like about it are the colour and the fact it was different hubcaps on.

If it needs to be that model hatchback megane, go for the Rxi.

Excellent spec, even by today's standards. (alloys spoiler, tilt/slide sunroof, electric mirrors, a/c, leather steering wheel/gear knob, sports seats).

I have one and refuse to trade it; its never failed me, starts on the first turn, and its just about 9 yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

looked at an E39 there years back...tried to tell me that it was genuine 78k on the clock....

The price looks good and if everything checks out its a bargain, but they are definite del boys there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

kbannon wrote: »
    Not for me - for a neighbour.
    http://www.billgriffinmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1142980
    Under todays climate, what would you pay for this (assuming everything is in PWO, not clocked, etc)?

(I know its French and all that!)

If you put 2 grand in the dash you still couldn't get me to take one of those! Get a set of ignition coils thrown in also...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

They have a very good NCAP safety score but it's slow and heavy. Don't let this stop him/her but try and test drive one if you can. I've driven one a good bit and it wouldn't be for me but everyone has different needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

They have a very good NCAP safety score.
    Thats because it will spend more time off the road than on it :D. If you get a bad your in trouble, if your going to look at it bring someone with you that knows about these cars to get it checked out.
    I had one and it was nothing but trouble, started giving immobiliser problems then it was one problem after the other, they are slow and heavy not to mention the close pedals, hated that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

If your neighbour is looking for safe, bargain motoring, why not? You wont get much more car than that for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hellboy99 wrote: »
    If you get a bad your in trouble, .

If you get a bad Bently your in trouble too. Dont see how a bad one of any car isnt going to be trouble.

The missus had a 00 senic for a couple of years and it nevrlt us down.

They have a very good NCAP safety score but it's slow and heavy. Don't let this stop him/her but try and test drive one if you can. I've driven one a good bit and it wouldn't be for me but everyone has different needs.

not sure what you mean by slow and heavy, maybe you are referring to the '02-'08 megane (which I've had the unfortunte to drive in the 1.4 engine). The '00 - '02 models had a 16v 1.4 with (a gigantic ;) ) 96bhp, still a lot more than the 75hp you still get in most brand new 1.4's. Its not that heavy either, and is easily as fast (if not faster) than our '07 1.6 focus.

Those 16v engines are excellent, for their day. Renault were the first cars (again the '00-'02 models) to recognise the NCAP safety standards and I just discovered last year they also had ISOfix fittings as standard, something you still don't get.

If you find one with FRSH, buy it. If not, make sure you get a good deal.

Yes, of course, its a renault, so reliabilty is an issue, but I can tell you for certain the '00-'02's were more reliable than the '02 onwards!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cheers folks - I've relayed the various points on to my neighbour now so the ball is in his court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sk8board wrote: »
    not sure what you mean by slow and heavy, maybe you are referring to the '02-'08 megane (which I've had the unfortunte to drive in the 1.4 engine). The '00 - '02 models had a 16v 1.4 with (a gigantic ;) ) 96bhp, still a lot more than the 75hp you still get in most brand new 1.4's. Its not that heavy either, and is easily as fast (if not faster) than our '07 1.6 focus.

Those 16v engines are excellent, for their day. Renault were the first cars (again the '00-'02 models) to recognise the NCAP safety standards and I just discovered last year they also had ISOfix fittings as standard, something you still don't get.

If you find one with FRSH, buy it. If not, make sure you get a good deal.

Yes, of course, its a renault, so reliabilty is an issue, but I can tell you for certain the '00-'02's were more reliable than the '02 onwards!

+1 - it's the best 1.4 16v engine of it's type out there, tbh.........newer ones (04 on, Scenic II) are nothing like as good.......

I don't agree that 'because it's a Renault', reliability is an issue........nothing we've bought since has been anything like as good, and nothing ever needed as little maintenance as that. Newer stuff (most brands..) is a nightmare......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

isn't that cheap for an 02 car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

ignition coils went in mine as well. Repair man had to get main dealer to reset red light on dash after repair so as to pass NCT. Cost a fortune.

On the peugeots in contrast, such warning lights are user resettable.

Renaults have a nice ride, drive well but are DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE to repair. Don't crash them or abuse them and sell them young............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

i had one for 3 years. no problems. brother took it then, hes had it for 3 years. replaced the coils. economical. plus 90 bhp. Good body. The key for me if i was buying one, is that the timing belt is done. its a timing kit, and its a big job for them. special tool needed to hold everything in place when you take it out. We got coils on ebay dirt cheap. Id offer 2 grand if the belt is not done. It needs doing at 60, and its over 600 euro from a main dealer, and the problem for anyone else doing it, goes back to the tool. my local garage did mine, but was able to borrow the tool from main dealers. 4 star euro ncap and airbags all over the place, plus i believe galvanised body. if that car was minded and genuine, u cant go wrong.

so we have a Top Gear top tip: if you want a renault, buy a '00-'02 with the 16v 96hp 1.4 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole at this stage, every one of them I ever sold cost me a fortune in warranty, between electrics, gearboxes and engines. Secondhand gearboxes are so hard to get now as so many of them give trouble. The thing that really p**sed me off with Renault is the fact that when they know there's a design fault with some part they still keep fitting dodgy parts until the car runs out of warranty and then it's the owners problem. Renaults are absolute s**ite in every respect, horrible cars, just for balence on this thread.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

sk8board wrote: »
    so we have a Top Gear top tip: if you want a renault, buy a '00-'02 with the 16v 96hp 1.4 engine.

agreed, they came out in late 99. I know junkyard isnt a fan of renaults, but for the money above, 02 and if its being well minded, i think its a bargain.

junkyard wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole at this stage, every one of them I ever sold cost me a fortune in warranty, between electrics, gearboxes and engines. Secondhand gearboxes are so hard to get now as so many of them give trouble. The thing that really p**sed me off with Renault is the fact that when they know there's a design fault with some part they still keep fitting dodgy parts until the car runs out of warranty and then it's the owners problem. Renaults are absolute s**ite in every respect, horrible cars, just for balence on this thread.;)

So what your sayign is the facts should speak for themselves and they should be far and away the worst cars in all the polls, tests and surveys?

Funy how they arnt though, seeing as every one of them breaks.

Theres absolutly no point in you using the word balance in anythign to do with you posts. It's very obvious from your posts that you only pop in here when there a Renault related thread. You wont be heard of for weeks, then all of a sudden the chance presents itslef to have a moan about a Renault and sure enough, in pops Junkyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Just because you love Renaults and I hate them doesn't mean that you anything at the end of the day, someone wants an opinion on Renaults and they get it, some good and some bad. Then for some reason you take the task of defending them at every turn and try and get personal if someone shatters your illusion, get over it ffs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote: »
    Just because you love Renaults and I hate them doesn't mean that you anything at the end of the day, someone wants an opinion on Renaults and they get it, some good and some bad. Then for some reason you take the task of defending them at every turn and try and get personal if someone shatters your illusion, get over it ffs.:rolleyes:

Where did I defend them at every turn? I brought up your uncanny knack of showing up after weeks in the wilderness everytime a Renault is mentioned.

You didnt answer my quetion btw, if they are by and far the worst things eve created by man as you like to point out as often as possibe (the devil included I'd imagine) why dotn they come well adrift at the bottom of every survey, list , and warranty claims index? Especially when the reality of the last few I've seen(warranty claims per 100 cars iirc) is that they were only a few points below supposed bastions of reliabilty (in the average joe stakes) of Audi and Ford.

Theres also the possibility that people are using you to pawn their unreliable cars off onto seeign as you only seem to see the bad ones. Might say more about the cars you take in tbh.

As for shattering my illusions , surely that would happen when my Renault (not to mention numerous family and friends ones) all fall apart around my ears? The fact is that none have. Not the brad new one I bought 8 years ago thats still going strogn and running 100%, not the 13 year old one I bought and ran and not the 11 year old one I bought and ran till I needed to change to a van (another French motor btw, which also served it's purpose without a missed beat, just like my Xantia has done since)

I've never launched in to a tirade , banging on about haow great Renaults are and demanding everyone drives one. I've merely stated my experience and that of friends and family ownership. Same cant be said of you coming from the other side.

Advertisement