Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty: World at War

• 20-11-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Is Call of Duty: WAW worth getting for christmas.
    Does it come anywhere close to Call of Duty 4, or is it another Call of Duty 3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

In a nutshell its cod4 with WWII weapons im not into it as much as I was cod4.. If you were to ask me I would get something totally different. BF:BC RSV2 The Orange Box for TF2 all great games... also gears 2 which is ok imo im not mad on the multiplayer.. too slow

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I finished the single-player mode, thought it was absolute ****e.

Really getting into multi-player tho. The maps a great, nice and big with loads of places to camp.

But as the above said its pretty much COD:4 with WW2 weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Its good imo, Its COD 4 with WW2 weapons, which takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I'd recommend getting it mate. The single player is quite good, haven't finished it yet but really enjoying it so far, very cinematic and Kiefer Sutherland's voice acting adds something slick to it. Plus the co-op option on the single player campaign is a nice addition, havent tried it yet myself tho.

With regards multiplayer, I think it's awesome, better that CoD4 imo, and I love that game. Some maps are just crazy and the battles are very intense. The ranking system like in CoD4 is great with all the perks, and I think there's a real motivation to keep playing and get to level 55 I think, where you unlock the flamethrower, well it is for me anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

If you're hungry for more single player COD missions than go for it. While the single player is short as in all COD games it's still just as good and just as hectic as COD 4 but without the brilliant storyline.

I really like the multiplayer maps on this one. Think they are a great improvement over the ones in COD4. Plenty of different game types. Basically it's got everything COD 4 had with better maps and older weapons. It's great. The Competitive co-op is really good fun too. Only played it with 1 other friend so far so dying to get 3 or 4 of us in for a go. Then I haven't even tried the Zombie mode yet which looks to be great fun.

• Advertisement

Really getting into multi-player tho. The maps a great, nice and big with loads of places to camp.

I thought the opposite.

How fun campers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If i get caught by a camper i dont let it happen again,

Its only the noobs that camp in the exact same spot time and time again

Can't believe they got rid of Team Tactical though. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The single player game is really good, not quite as good as COD: MW but not far off. I'm on the very last part now, will play through again on veteran level as i always do on COD games.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

I'm only on the 2nd level where you storm the beach and I turned it off in disgust. Totally agree, absolute pants. I'll try it again but I got it for the Multiplayer as COD3 was ****e as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I think it's fairly brown and it's no big surprise.

Granted, some of the close combat and hiding during multiplayer is great and does feel like genuine WWII combat but rest of the game is quite poor imo.

To be fair, I still haven't played this zombie craic at the end, and thats a guarenteed win.

Nazi Zombies? Awesomeness defined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

The competitive co-op is a great addition. Really good craic trying to outscore three other people in a level. The scoring system is really well done as well. Much better than playing it solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'm going to get it anyways, COD4 was brilliant both online and off and I heard WAW was just as good so I'm going to chance getting it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm only on the 2nd level where you storm the beach and I turned it off in disgust.

I got to that point last night and am sorely tempted not to bother.

Does it get better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Mine is arriving tomorrow, if anyone wants a game, add me; AdMMM

quad_red wrote: »
    I got to that point last night and am sorely tempted not to bother.

Does it get better?

What's so terrible about it?

I thoroughly enjoyed my first play through, no real gripes about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I usually agree with your thoughts on games.... Def going to buy this now. No pressure!!!

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I usually agree with your thoughts on games.... Def going to buy this now. No pressure!!!

:eek:

It has reviews ranging from good to great almost everywhere, so you can be pretty sure it's worth it!

I started a new game now on veteran difficulty, wicked hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

It has reviews ranging from good to great almost everywhere, so you can be pretty sure it's worth it!

Well the MP format is still a winner anyways as its largely unchanged from last years. All depends on single player really. I've enjoyed every COD to date so no reason to think this one will be any different :)

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I've enjoyed every COD to date so no reason to think this one will be any different :)

Well, prepare for more of the same with added flame thrower brutality! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

:eek:

I started a new game now on veteran difficulty, wicked hard!

aye, the single player isg quite good, if you play it on a tough enough setting, the two hardest should be the only option really.

andthe MP is excellent as well..

For me it was because I've seen it all so many times before. Only the 2nd level in and throw a beach landing at you? Surely after the ridiculous beach one-up-manship around 2001 in Medal of Honour:Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Battlefield:1942 and then of course Call of Duty 1&2 they'd realize that we've played through Saving Private Ryan's intro enough damn times at this stage??? Never do I want to see another beach in a WWII FPS as long as I live! Not even counting the multiplayer maps.

The first level wasn't too bad but a lot of the objectives are a bit unclear. Like where you had to blow up the ammo dump? I went down there with Jack Bauer and the two of us just "hung out" by the door until we got killed by the spawning enemies. Think it was a bug tho, door opened the next time I went down but of course I went everywhere else first and got thoroughly pissed off. :mad:

For me it was because I've seen it all so many times before. Only the 2nd level in and throw a beach landing at you? Surely after the ridiculous beach one-up-manship around 2001 in Medal of Honour:Allied Assault, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Battlefield:1942 and then of course Call of Duty 1&2 they'd realize that we've played through Saving Private Ryan's intro enough damn times at this stage??? Never do I want to see another beach in a WWII FPS as long as I live! Not even counting the multiplayer maps.

The first level wasn't too bad but a lot of the objectives are a bit unclear. Like where you had to blow up the ammo dump? I went down there with Jack Bauer and the two of us just "hung out" by the door until we got killed by the spawning enemies. Think it was a bug tho, door opened the next time I went down but of course I went everywhere else first and got thoroughly pissed off. :mad:

I see your point, beach landings are a bit stale at this stage, as is the whole WWII thing in general, but i don't think there's any denying the game is well produced. I didnt encounter any bugs at all, I think you were unlucky in that regard. As far as i'm concerned, it's up there with the best of COD games, just a little lower than Modern Warfare. The Zombie survival game that's unlocked upon completion is mighty craic too! and up to four can play at the same time! class...

The Zombie survival game that's unlocked upon completion is mighty craic too! and up to four can play at the same time! class...

Is there anyway to unlock this without completing the game? :D I'd argue that its better than CoD 3 at least but in any case I doubt I'll be playing it much as there are so many better games to play at the moment! Playing it on the one below Veteran, Hardened I think.

Is there anyway to unlock this without completing the game?

Not that i know of... you could play through it on easy i suppose but that would be fairly crap and lacking any sort of challenge! I played through on hardened too, thought it was a little easy at first but it got a lot tougher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Its a bloody brilliant game like all the other COD's. Completely captures the atmosphere of WWII again. One thing I was dissapointed with though was the visuals. I threw COD3 on right after I completed it because I was in the WWII mood and the graphics in it seem to be far superior. I happen to really like COD3 by the way so maybe I'm biased. Still WaW is class. I think the multiplayer is a step up from COD4 which I find waaaaay too frantic. I can barely stay alive long enough in it to kill anyone (I'm level 38) and this makes it extremely frustrating. Maybe it's those modern weapons. In WaW I'm kicking a whole load of ass and topping my team regularly. Probably biased again though.

Advertisement