Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCJP

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Has anybody ever done this course?

What level of java would be required before going into it? And would it help when looking for a java developer job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have a look at this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Have a look at this thread

Thanks had a look at the thread. It looks like a good course.

But Will it actually help you find a job in programming? I have looked at Java jobs adverised. None seem to specify it as a requirement. Most seem to focus on experience instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

No cert will ever find you a job in programming, what it will do is give you a chance you didnt have or give you the edge over a person on the same level/skillset etc

Programmers dont nec need to certify as most jobs are based on having experience (portfolio) but it doesnt harm your chances :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Tableman wrote: »
    Thanks had a look at the thread. It looks like a good course.

But Will it actually help you find a job in programming? I have looked at Java jobs adverised. None seem to specify it as a requirement. Most seem to focus on experience instead.

It helped land me my break!
    It's a nice leg up to have and I really enjoyed studying for this one - I learned lots. No regrets :)

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Can anyone recommend a good course to do for Java, a fairly basic one. Its a few years since I did it (College). I am familar with other programming languages like V basic through my work so I would like to do a course to learn java again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Tableman wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good course to do for Java, a fairly basic one. Its a few years since I did it (College). I am familar with other programming languages like V basic through my work so I would like to do a course to learn java again

I guess it would depend what part of the country you are in when you are looking for a course. It would be worth checking the colleges, such as the uni's, I.T.'s, community colleges etc. in your area as they usually have evening classes starting in september and january. These will usually charge much less than "private" I.T. training institutes.

I can reccomend a great book for learning Java. I used Sam's Java 6 in 21 Days and thought it was excellent. Each day / chapter covers a topic. Each one is about 30 - 50 pages and are doable in 2 - 4 hours a day. There is a cd with it that has extra chapters. Anyway, I found it to be excellent, very well thought out, with good excercises to try and even a few short SCJP questions at the end of each topic.

There is also Head First Java, which too is good. It tries to teach in a "fun" way, as in it has lots of "humour" and graphics. It is good but I much preferred Sam's.

I am also hoping to do the SCJP and I started going through the Sierra / Bates (these are the same guys that wrote Head First Java) SCJP 5. I know there is a newer exam out now for Java 6, but I had bought this book before a book for 6 had come out. I have spent two nights after work on this book and got through first chapter, up to summary and questions and end. It seems a good book so far.

There is little difference in the SCJP 5 and SCJP 6 exams, so either cert should do for a while. There was much more difference between SCJP 4 and SCJP 5. I think the difference between 5 and 6 is so minimal that the book I have on 5 should do to study for exam 6. I will look into that when I am nearer to end of book.

As for your previous questions about it helping your job prospects, I would say it could help a lot. Having practical on the job Java experience would be number 1, but having the SCJP would elevate you above those that would have similar work experience to you, but don't have the exam. It would also be useful, in what may be your case, where your experience lies in a different language, such as VB, to have the SCJP if you wanted to seek out Java work. Having the cert along with VB experience will definetly increase your chances of getting a Java job than having VB experience alone.

To sum up, you should try find either a cheap course (unless money is not a hindrance for you!) and / or use Sam's book to learn Java and then get the Sierra Bates SCJP 5 book. You should not really start the Sierra Bates book until you know java. It's to teach you to pass the exam, not to teach you Java. You could try it with basic Java knowledge, but the more you have, the better. It would be good if you knew about the topics in the Sierra Bates book first, so that you can use that book to really get to knoe them and hopefully do excellent in the exam! Good Luck!

EDIT:

I just noticed on Amazon that the SCJP book is out for exam 6. If interested, you might as well go for the newest one.

http://www.amazon.com/SCJP-Certified-Programmer-Java-310-065/dp/0071591060/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Here is the Sam's Teach Yourself Java 6 in 21 Days

http://www.amazon.com/Sams-Teach-Yourself-Java-Days/dp/0672329433/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231931936&sr=1-1

Another EDIT:

Difference Between 5 and 6 exam:

http://www.whizlabs.com/articles/scjp5_vs_scjp6.html

Advertisement