Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal grooming and medical exam

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I'm having a scan down below in a few weeks. Now, I keep myself hair free in that region and I'm wondering will I get a double take from the staff or maybe a few giggles behind the curtain.
    Without giving too much away, I'm not in the usual demographic for that kind of stuff. Picture a combination between a nun and a bike dyke. It looks a bit incongruous but like many women I'll never go back to afro city.
    Should I allow a few weeks growth to cover my modesty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They see all sorts of types, shapes, sizes and hair coverage, really I would not worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

These are trained medical professions. Just think how many they do a day. I sincerely doubt a lack of pubic hair even comes close to their list of things that makes them go 'huh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Ok, I'll trust your opinions and keep it the way I like it. I'll be blushing but I'm sure they'll be professional enough not to point and laugh.
    Damn medical exams :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

No offense, but dont you think you're being a little self centred? I mean, they have A LOT of other things to worry about than how you groom your south of the border.

No offense, but dont you think you're being a little self centred? I mean, they have A LOT of other things to worry about than how you groom your south of the border.

I don't think so at all, over 10 years ago when I gave birth shaving your mound of venus or having it waxed was not the fashion trend it is now and yes I did get comments made by one of the midwifes as I was inbetween contractions saying " you do know now love we don't shave mothers before they deliver so you didn't have to". I told her my lady garden was none of her concern and she should shut up with her inane comments as they were not good for my blood pressure.

So I can understand that the OP may feel exposed enough with out a medical
    "professional" being passremarkible re per grooming habit, but thankfully we have come a long way in the last decade and I don't think she will have that issue and if she does I hope she kicks up a HUGE fuss, I know I would.

• Advertisement

Do they still shave in the maternity wards? I seriously cant remember even though it was only a year and four months ago. Ive completely forgotten a lot of it.

[mound of venus - Nice term.-i forgot all about that term - inspired me many years ago to come up with mars bar for its counterpart. ]

Do they still shave in the maternity wards? I seriously cant remember even though it was only a year and four months ago. Ive completely forgotten a lot of it.

They don't and if they need to do a c section the only shave a small strip.

Lucky you I don't have the type of memory I can recall it all.

Yeah I didnt remember a shave, ha I remember the whatyamacallit where they induce you to ****, the balloon, the six million IV drips, the fever, the epi, the crippling contractions that feel like gigantic leg cramps gripping your mid section hour after hour after hour every two minutes, oh god I'm so not happy you brought up the subject of birth... its all coming back to me now. Ugh. Oh man. Its enough to get your tubes tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Sangre wrote: »
    These are trained medical professions. Just think how many they do a day. I sincerely doubt a lack of pubic hair even comes close to their list of things that makes them go 'huh'.
    See, that really raises question number two. What would you have to have in the general genital region to actually make them go "...huh."

If it wasn't for morning sickness and not wanting any more kids I'd do it again.
    If was such a rush, a level of physical intensity, endorphines and pushing of my limits, really nothing compares, even getting induced the second time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yeah I didnt remember a shave, ha I remember the whatyamacallit where they induce you to ****, the balloon, the six million IV drips, the fever, the epi, the crippling contractions that feel like gigantic leg cramps gripping your mid section hour after hour after hour every two minutes, oh god I'm so not happy you brought up the subject of birth... its all coming back to me now. Ugh. Oh man. Its enough to get your tubes tied.
    Ye women are always whinging lol. (ducks for cover)

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ye women are always whinging lol. (ducks for cover)

Yep, but there's a lot to whinge about!

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If it wasn't for morning sickness and not wanting any more kids I'd do it again.
    If was such a rush, a level of physical intensity, endorphines and pushing of my limits, really nothing compares, even getting induced the second time around.

I didnt get that. Failure to progress. Very bad post natal symptoms after the c-section which followed 15 hours of agony before the epi and 7 hours of numbness. Ha, still a walk in the park compared to the sleeplessness afterwards... but I digress...

Cs Its a total full body extreme rush, that's why, never want the post natal depression again for sure and if I was to have another that would be nearly guaranteed but it was a hell of a intense experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

See, that really raises question number two. What would you have to have in the general genital region to actually make them go "...huh."

Any number of things such as diseases, legions, rashes etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I told her my lady garden was none of her concern and she should shut up with her inane comments as they were not good for my blood pressure.

That made me lol.

OP, they really won't be interested in your hair or lack of it, unless it is related to a condition.

Well thankfully she was the midwife subbing in for those who were with patients so they could have thier breaks and not the lady who was in charge of me and was up all night with me while I delievered cos she was wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

agonist, I work in a hospital.

Like most people who work in that environment, I have seen countless man and lady bits.

If I see one, I don't even register it in my head. I've neve made a disparaging remark, or heard anyone do so. The culture in hospitals is very much against this type of thing. like, if you made a joke like that, peple wouldn't find it funny.

I will laugh at nearly anything. But never an individual in a pretty vulnerable and compromised position.

I can't guarantee that no-one will make a remark, but it's very very unlikely.

I know when I had to have a circumcision, I didn't worry for a second about having it out in an operating theatre.

Hope the scan etc goes well for ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Think medical profesionals see so many
    bit's a bob's to even notice,
    Yours would want to be spectular
    to get any reaction I think,
    I was worried about my first smear
    after giving birth and a friend
    told me I was "so vain to think mine was worth a second look"

Put me back in my box(pardon the pun)

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I think I posted this before...
    This has to be read, laughed at and passed on. There is not a woman alive today who won't crack up over this!

I was due for a smear with the doctor later in the week. Early one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I
    had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am. I had only just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 am. The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So, I rushed upstairs, threw off my pyjamas, wet the facecloth that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in that area to make sure I was at least presentable. I threw the facecloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in. Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away. I was a little surprised when the doctor said, 'My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?'

I didn't respond.

After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal - some shopping, cleaning, & cooking. After school when my 7 year old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, 'Mummy, where's my facecloth?'

I told her to get another one from the cupboard.
    She replied, 'No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all my glitter saved inside it.'

NEVER going back to that doctor ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ha! That's fantiastic! I'm sure a glittery private area looks lovely though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

WindSock wrote: »

sorry to be dragging up an old thread, but i just saw this post now. i think what windsock has said is untrue and highly irresponsible. rashes/diseases/whatever do not make doctors/nurses go "huh, weird" or make other such remarks.
    they are highly trained professionals, and do hundreds of genital exams. theyve seen and heard it all, all the unusual rashes, lumps, bumps and all teh stories behind them.
    professionals should never make a patient feel uncomfortable for having revealed something. it takes courage and trust to confide in a doctor, particularly about an intimate problem.

making a flippant comment such as teh above might discourage someone from attending a doc for fear of ridicule/judgement, and therefore i think its irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I've neve made a disparaging remark, or heard anyone do so. The culture in hospitals is very much against this type of thing. like, if you made a joke like that, peple wouldn't find it funny.

I just wanted to say thanks for that. At this stage I'm more curious about what the results will be rather than the procedure itself.

Wish me luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Good luck Agonist!
    WindSock wrote: »

Dictionary.com definition of 'legions':
    "n.
    1. The major unit of the Roman army consisting of 3,000 to 6,000 infantry troops and 100 to 200 cavalry troops.
    2. A large military unit trained for combat; an army."

I may have a bit of a thing for a man in uniform, but were i to have an army of them in my knickers the doctor's reaction during a medical exam would be the least of my worries. :P

Advertisement