Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What year is this couple from ?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I'm going through some old family photos & this one was in my Grandmother's box of things. She would have been 94 this year so I'm guessing this is maybe her parents although my dad is pretty sure that it's not.

Can anyone date it on the clothing ? I put it in this forum because they were from the north inner city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would say 1880's

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there a photographer's stamp on the back of the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Aww- the woman is pregnant! Might that help you date it if it was your grandmother's aunt or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ooooh, this game is fun. Wonder were carnations on the lapel in during a particular year? I would've said turn of the century, before independence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

There's no stamp or any indication at all.

Hadn't thought of an aunt. She looks a little old to be pregnant. I was thinking that maybe it was a post (several) baby stomach.

My great grandmother died when my grandmother was ten. I've seen pictures of her dad & this isn't him.

1880s would put it around the era of her parents all right but it's not quite fitting, I'm thinking maybe it's her grandparents, making it my great great grandparents (or rather one set of them... that's kinda cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The photographer often supplied clothes for photos back in those days.

'A little old to be pregnant'? I'll say! 0112984, get your eyes tested! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Right, well, going on the process I assume was used, it was the second half of the 1800's, and past 1878.

I doubt it's her parents, as that'd leave a bit of a gap as far as technology, lighting, pose and fashion are concerned (if she were 94 this year), though I guess that depends on where they're from too - Anything stamped onto the back of the print? Even a trace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jjgoo

i would say 1880's

I would go with this. because that is my parents. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If it is the 1880s then that would make them Alexander & Annie Oakes, my great great grandparents - I already know this from previous research ("Oakes" - what a great name, wish we kept it).

Advertisement