Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overpriced by €50

• 21-11-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

i went to buy a data cable for my nokia 3120 in carlow and only one of so many phone stores stocked the CA-101 data cable but instead of being asked for maybe €20 for a non-nokia cable they wanted €69 for a cable available in dublin stores for €10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is that just a standard USB to mini-USB cable? If so then one of your friends who's into gadgets should have a few spares, they come with Blackberries, most digital cameras and the higher spec. Nokia models. such as Exx and Nxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's a standard mini-usb , even €10 is a bit pricey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

its the newer nokia "micro" usb cable which has been around for a while and have seen it online for €12 plus €5 postage. i thought that €70 was a bit much as this was the price on a different nokia branded cable but the shop assistant insisted and even appeared to ring someone else who apparently confirmed this "rip-off".

if only it was the standard mini usb cable as i have about ten of those!

i will be in dublin over the weekend and get one for around €10.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its pretty common for high street shops to charge an arm and a leg for simple electronic stuff, one example is you can get a 8GB USB stick for say 25e on-line but many shops are still selling 1GB usb sticks for 25e.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its pretty common for high street shops to charge an arm and a leg for simple electronic stuff, one example is you can get a 8GB USB stick for say 25e on-line but many shops are still selling 1GB usb sticks for 25e.
    very true but i was not expecting almost a €60 difference and the cable is available in dublin shops for €10 but carlow it is $69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

you might be getting a quote for an official branded nokia cable, the same cable without the nokia brand you probably will buy in dublin but hey, it does not have the nokia stamp on it,

buyer beware as they say !!!!

the cable for €69 in a store in carlow was unbranded and in the stores own packaging probably bought in bulk for €10 each in dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The carlow shop might have been ripped off themselves. Some shops buy in extras from their main suppliers who rip them off. I feel sorry for smaller camera shops etc in small towns. They might have bought in memory cards which drop in value by the day, and they still are charging what they paid for originally. They could be selling below cost and appear to be a ripoff.

Some do not really even try to get a good price on stock, they just pay what they are asked and stick a margin on it.

Though in this case it was crazy expensive alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

thank god for ebay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

did you buy the cable in the end?

• Advertisement

did you buy the cable in the end?
    €12 online:)

Advertisement