Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are Turbos Worth It?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 1:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

i have an Opel astra 1.4 GTC and was wondering is it worth it to get a turbo?
    is it more trouble then it is worth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

To have your car set up properly and safely to have a turbo on it, it really isn't worth the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

-crisp- wrote: »

The amount of work and money needed would make this a less than viable option IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

sell it and get an opc - less hassle in the long run I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm no mechanic but as far as i know it's definitly more than it's worth.

If you start uprating power it's going put more strain on every component in the car. The gearbox will the a more strain, the clutch will more than likely need to be uprated, the standard would burn out fairly quickly. Also the fact that since you will be going faster your going to need to stop faster, uprated brakes. After that you've to get an engineers report on it, and try to explain to your insurance company that you've installed a turbo. Also, depending on who your are selling it onto, you might find it hard to shift.

And after you've considered all that, you've the cost of fitting it, and if anything goes wrong, paying through the roof to get it fixed. At the end of the day, it's a 1.4, that was it was designed to be. Buy a car with a bigger engine if needs be, will save alot of hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭-crisp-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yes it's a load of bull****.

Get a Pipercross Viper induction Kit if you're getting anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

what about getting a chip?

what about getting a chip?

Do yourself a favour and don't be looking for power gains on ebay, I don't mean that in a condescending way, it's just that all that ebay stuff is crap. Those chips will cause more damage to your car than good.

The only thing you can really do for a small gain is a decent induction kit. Other than that there's not much more you can do with a 1.4 n/a engine

ok. thanks for all the help guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A higher quality exhaust setup may also improve things minorly, but it is minor.

MYOB wrote: »
    A higher quality exhaust setup may also improve things minorly, but it is minor.

And expensively

Onkle wrote: »
    And expensively

Oh aye. Know somehow who got a stonking 1.2bhp average (rolling road tested) out of a 300+ quid sterling Ragazzon exhaust - admittedly, he did get it fitted to a car with a 'sports exhaust' factory-spec. Biggest waste of money ever, a good service would likely get a similar improvement on a year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is anyone gonna tell the OP that if he needs more performance he'd best sell his car and buy something a bit more powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    Is anyone gonna tell the OP that if he needs more performance he'd best sell his car and buy something a bit more powerful?

Was going to but would probably get accused of being a smart ass.

They did, post 4.

MYOB wrote: »
    They did, post 4.

As in a slightly faster version of the same mediocre car to put in mildly? The world is our oyster - so many cars to choose from :D
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Was going to but would probably get accused of being a smart ass.

You are a gentleman and you are diplomatic. But please don't let that stop you from telling it the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

...1.4 ......is it worth it to get a turbo?

No.

Turbos generate a lot of heat and are generally installed on lower compression engines, so by the time you've uprated everthing (and I mean everything - fuel pump, rail, injectors, spark plugs, coils, ht cables, intercooler - including engine internals), you'll have spent an absolute fortune and still have relatively little power. If you are really set on modifying it, I'd probably stick to an air filter and an exhaust. If you de-cat it as well you might (I stress might) get 20hp. You'll also get a **** load more noise and attention from the cops, and maybe be unable to pass your NCT on emissions.

In general, you'll see very little bang for buck unless you change the car for something more powerful to begin with. I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 2.0 turbo. Even then you'll be looking at big money to get a usable, reliable car that's significantly faster than spec.

If you're stuck on a 1.4 for tax/insurance reasons, VW do a compund charged (supercharged and turbo charged) Golf that puts out 170bhp. Think it's the TSi? Otherwise I'd start going up in engine size. Not my cup of tea but the 1.8vvti Celica seems great value at 190bhp. From what I hear the handling is okay for a fwd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....er, post #4 ?? [/ducks] :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

As in a slightly faster version of the same mediocre car to put in mildly? The world is our oyster - so many cars to choose from :D

OP seemed happy with every aspect of the Astra cept the power (must be to consider a 10k+ engine upgrade :pac:). The hothatch Astra seemed the logical answer

In hindsight, I coulda said

"Is putting a turbo in my 1.4 Astra a good idea?"
    "No, buy a vRS!"

>.> :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Quoth the man with just such a more powerful car for sale :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

House wrote: »
    Quoth the man with just such a more powerful car for sale :D

Was wondering when someone would cop that !!

He even changed his sig and said another poster was diplomatic !!

Clever:cool:.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tuning cars like that is pointless. Sell it and buy a faster car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Was wondering when someone would cop that !!

He even changed his sig and said another poster was diplomatic !!

Clever:cool:.

rubbish

unkel has had that sig for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

peasant wrote: »
    rubbish

pifft, total conspiracy. These Mods are always conspiring against the rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just stay on topic (turbos, remember?) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Get a bigger engine then yes ofcourse,

Theres no replacement for displacement.

peasant wrote: »

That's cause I've had my car for sale for ages :D

Anyways, I didn't think anyone driving an Astra and wondering about turbos would be interested in a large German battleship :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement