Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help with MAF..not muff..

Options
  • 21-11-2008 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hey guys, I have a problem with my VAG engine. It will drive normally, loads of power up until a certain speed, say 80mphs. It then cuts power and is dead as a duck but still driving. I'm guessing limp mode cutting the turbo as can never hear the hiss after it.
    I disconnected the MAF sensor to see would it change it but instead it drove as if I had driven til it cut power, dead as a duck!
    Could the 2 be related or is this normal behaviour after disconnecting the MAF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

have you got a non standard air filter? I've heard these can lead to problems with air mass meters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

no its the standard filter and everything. Had this problem before the last service when it was changed anyway.
    Just wondering could it be the MAF doing something or triggering it? had the N75 boost valve changed and it fixed it for about a week and then it started cutting again. Changed the MAP sensor as well and this also tempoarily fixed, if only until I really dogged it testing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

have you got a non standard air filter? I've heard these can lead to problems with air mass meters...

yes nobody should fit these K&N type oiled air filters as the oil will coat the surface of the reading wire in the MAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

DaMonk wrote: »
    no its the standard filter and everything. Had this problem before the last service when it was changed anyway.
    Just wondering could it be the MAF doing something or triggering it? had the N75 boost valve changed and it fixed it for about a week and then it started cutting again. Changed the MAP sensor as well and this also tempoarily fixed, if only until I really dogged it testing it out.

You could try cleaning the maf sensor with some non residue electronics cleaning fluid from maplin or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

It should not even turn over without the MAF connected, be very careful with it also, they can break easily and are pricey to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

mickdw wrote: »
    You could try cleaning the maf sensor with some non residue electronics cleaning fluid from maplin or similar.

agreed, just be carefull when cleaning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

It should not even turn over without the MAF connected, be very careful with it also, they can break easily and are pricey to replace.
    The car should run without the MAF but won't run right and they're only about €90 or so to replace.

Advertisement