Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best free vista firewall

• 21-11-2008 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

what's the best free vista firewall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

but would it not make more sense to see if anyone knows any which are good and know from personal experience?

If you bothered to look at the link, there are half a dozen articles *Right There* that discuss that very topic, in great depth. Its a matter of independent thought and *ghasp* reading.

you'll have to forgive me, its not everyday someone comes into a tech forum asking other posters to do their web browsing for them.

yeah! and i read some of them!!
    but unless you haven't seen, they are hundreds of links, so sorry for thinking you had the competence to give an opinion on a firewall.

• Advertisement

i'm just wondering from personal experience,
    it's not for me, it's for someone else,
    hence if someone said oh hey this is good and easy to use,
    because i don't know what level of tech knowledge someone who writes reviews for computer software sites has

Most people use Zone Alarm. Its pretty straightforward. Comodo is also good, and probably offers better security, but needs some babysitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Also use Avast Antivirus alongside it. it 'covers' the rest of the computer's firewalls that the general ones don't cover, like email and p2p.

cool thanks, it's the sisters comp, and i think she just got a virus or something, she paid for bulldog/bullguard or something along the lines and her comps gone strange, won't launch some applications and stuff..
    the firewall got turned off too and can't be put back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

• Advertisement

It doesnt look like malware but ive never heard of bullguard. So I cant say how useful it would be.

Go ahead and post a new thread in the Tech>Virus&Malware Removal forum, using this set of Instructions. It might take an hour or two to generate the results but its worthwhile to give it a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

In terms of a firewall I have been using Vista's built in firewall since Vista's release day and I never had a single problem. Take from that what you will.

On my old XP computers, ZoneAlarm did the job for me. :)

i just use norton internet suite. i dont have to pay for it so I really cant be bothered to switch; it does nothing to anger me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Overheal wrote: »
    i just use norton internet suite.

OMFG :eek:

whatever you do don't install that pos, just use avast with Comodo

In terms of a firewall I have been using Vista's built in firewall since Vista's release day and I never had a single problem. Take from that what you will.

On my old XP computers, ZoneAlarm did the job for me. :)

yeah i'd like to, but it's not turned on and won't run...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Auvers wrote: »

+1. If you paid me to use norton I still wouldn't as its a super-duper POS.
    I use Avast! and Comodo aswell...Your not my Alter ego are you Auvers?

metalfest wrote: »
    yeah i'd like to, but it's not turned on and won't run...

What do you mean it wont run?

Start>Control Panel>Security>Turn Windows Firewall On

firewall not turned on.
    manually turn on? yes
    firewall cannot be started.

Does it give an error message? What is it?
    Are you saying it wont let you turn it on?

yeah it gives an error message,
    not too sure what the message is as it's not the computer i'm currently usinig.
    pretty much ya it won't leave me turn it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Auvers wrote: »

Actually, I was reading an article in a recent issue of a very well respected German computer magazine called c't recently where they gave Norton's latest 2009 offering a strong recommendation in their latest test of AV suites.

They've regularly slated it in the past, and have always recommended ESET, BitDefender or Kaspersky, and have in fact until recently given away free licenes for ESET.

So, who knows, maybe they've learnt the error of their ways and come out with something decent at last?

metalfest wrote: »
    yeah it gives an error message,
    not too sure what the message is as it's not the computer i'm currently usinig.
    pretty much ya it won't leave me turn it on

So you turn it on but it turns off again? Or when you try turn it on you get the error message then?
    Alun wrote: »
    Actually, I was reading an article in a recent issue of a very well respected German computer magazine called c't recently where they gave Norton's latest 2009 offering a strong recommendation in their latest test of AV suites.

They've regularly slated it in the past, and have always recommended ESET, BitDefender or Kaspersky, and have in fact until recently given away free licenes for ESET.

So, who knows, maybe they've learnt the error of their ways and come out with something decent at last?

It's not really the effectiveness of Norton or McAfee that's in dispute (although there are better out there) but the resource hog that it is. I've fixed many computers that their owners complained of being too slow. First thing I do is remove the bundled McAfee or Norton and I'd replace it with AVG or Avira. That, immediately, gives a massive boost to the computer.

when i try launching it it won't start and error message comes up

Advertisement