Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fooking useless at Fifa 09!!!!!!!!

• 21-11-2008 6:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Right dudes I am sucking major donkey balls at Fifa 09 and when I say donkey balls I mean globe sized donkey balls. :D

Probably shouldn't dive into online matches straight away, but I have and lost 14!. Won?. Bloody 0!!. I only scored one goal in 14 matches aswell.

Anyone care to train me?. I looked at the youtube videos and that as its my first proper football game, though I seem to be having serious issues on the defense side of things.

Any tips chaps?.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm no expert by a long shot, but I've started playing Fifa again after a 5-6 year hiatus. A few tips I find useful.

1) Defense
    Make sure to pressure whenever possible, but don't commit to any challenge until you are certain the player is going to shoot/cross. many good players will go down the wing and cut inside for a placed shot at the last minute.

2) Attack
    The 4 shoulder buttons are your friend. 1 is the sprint button and the other 3 change your type of shot. One drills the ball, one lobs the ball and one places the ball. Practice in the arena and in single player mode until pressing these buttons become instinctive. Then when you play, you won't think about lobbing a keeper off his line, you'll do it automatically.

3) General
    Don't waste your time with fancy throughballs to the attack...most players are good enough to cut them out with ease.

Finally, I'm going to say this because it is rampant online. Never quit out of a game where you are getting beaten badly. Finish it off. The reason you are being beat is because the opponent is better than you. Observe what he is doing and learn as much as you can. Aim to emulate what you see in subsequent matches. Do this and I guarantee you will improve.

I played 8 games last night. Lost 2 and won 1...in the other 5 games, the opponent quit because I was beating them by 2-3 goals. They will learn nothing and will continue to be poor/average players.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I lose more than I win aswell but I'm getting better each time. Trying new things. Don't worry about the skills too much - most goals are scored using only the A and B buttons - pass and shoot.

Also I picked up two bad habits that I am trying my hardest to shake off -

Don't hold sprint permanently when you have the ball - its much easier to keep the ball and pass it around when you're not sprinting - only use sprint when you're through or got around the full backs or even just tap it to get a start on the opponent. I found holding it down too much meant it was too easy to tackle me as the ball was knocked too far ahead.

I also try to switch players manually too often - if you play with auto-switch you're much better off letting the comp switch and keep your finger away from manual switch (LB) because I've found that the comp sometimes switches right before I press the button so I switch away from the player I need meaning he's a yard off pace already. Really bad habit I'm trying to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I just got the game, and am crap too...

Sure add me if you want a few online games, i need the practise too..

GT: The Batman IRL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Add me for some friendlies, and a few training matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Yea I lose more than I win aswell but I'm getting better each time. Trying new things. Don't worry about the skills too much - most goals are scored using only the A and B buttons - pass and shoot.

Also I picked up two bad habits that I am trying my hardest to shake off -

Don't hold sprint permanently when you have the ball - its much easier to keep the ball and pass it around when you're not sprinting - only use sprint when you're through or got around the full backs or even just tap it to get a start on the opponent. I found holding it down too much meant it was too easy to tackle me as the ball was knocked too far ahead.

I also try to switch players manually too often - if you play with auto-switch you're much better off letting the comp switch and keep your finger away from manual switch (LB) because I've found that the comp sometimes switches right before I press the button so I switch away from the player I need meaning he's a yard off pace already. Really bad habit I'm trying to lose.

I have the exact same bad habits! I tend to give away a lot of soft goals because of it. I'm not much good either but I do have a few tips that might help:

- when you hold LB when passing, the passing player makes a forward run after he passes the ball. This can be good for getting midfielders running into space and playing 1-2's

- Use the space, play through balls down the wings and in behind the other teams defence to get them turned.

- Experiment with the tactics and find a set up that suits your team, counter attack, wing play etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Add me randomnamez to your list, i'm not too bad and always up for a friendly or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

op play ofline games..and use a hard difficulty.like if your playing ofline on the easiest setting then go online your gonna be up against a different class so practice with professional mode.Should do the job for ya

thats a major one with me too..major cause of goals for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Soby wrote: »
    op play ofline games..

I dunno about that. I think you are better off playing unranked matches on live. Playing against the A.I and playing against a person are completely different.

If you want to add me (RichieMUFC), I'll play a few unranked matches, you can be a five star side and I'll be someone like Sunderland or Celtic (or even worse - Real Madrid - actually, no, I wouldn't go THAT low :) ). I'll show you a good setup for your team too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

what i would recommend is pick the team you like to play with. then start a tourament on manager mode on amatuer. keep going until you win a cup and then progress to the next hardest level and so forth!

Soby wrote: »
    thats a major one with me too..major cause of goals for me

Glad I'm not the only one - think it stemmed from earlier versions where the comp wouldn't switch immediately. Really annoying and I concede so often because of it. Especially when playing against a mate of mine - he knows my bad habits and punishes me for them. Bollox. He's a lot better than me and we've played about 20 games and he's bet me 19 times. When I bet him it went to penalties after a 0-0. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1) Set custom tactics to maximum aggression and pressing. This has made a huge difference for me.
    2) Never take short kickouts - the opposition will be ready and it will cost you goals.
    3) Don't try and run past loads of players - it almost never works. Quick, short passes are the way to go.
    4) Don't overuse through balls. They become predictable and easy to deal with
    5) Choose a team with quick defenders like Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

Glad I'm not the only one - think it stemmed from earlier versions where the comp wouldn't switch immediately. Really annoying and I concede so often because of it. Especially when playing against a mate of mine - he knows my bad habits and punishes me for them. Bollox. He's a lot better than me and we've played about 20 games and he's bet me 19 times. When I bet him it went to penalties after a 0-0. :rolleyes:

is that me;)

went on a serious losing run last few games, lost 5 in a row, so ****ing annoying
    won my last one though :)

quitting is ruining the game, it should ahve harder penalties or something

like i have gone into a 2-0 after 20 minutes and the guy has quit?
    i have been on the receiving end of thrashings in this and 08 and never quit, whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

One bit of advice I can give you is, switch your playing style as much as possible...try not to be predictable eg. playing with Man U you will see that alot of players passing it around midfield & then try to play a through ball to Rooney etc.

Once you cop how the opposition plays it's handy enough to defend against then you only have to score yourself. It's the players that switch their attacks I find hardest to play against

Pick a team that suits you & change formations accordingly. I play online a fair bit an generally have a 75% win record. You will find that the majority of players will pick Man U, Barcelona, Ac Milan, Liverpool (in that order) and play the exact same way!

Don't under estimate the radar. Use it to see players in space, keepers off their line etc,

Finally: DON'T QUIT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Great tips lads, thanks very much...

Would definately be up for a few friendlies too with ye all....I need the practice BIG TIME!!! :D

My gamertag is 13odycount

Cheers.

event wrote: »
    is that me;)

Yea ya bollox. Come on here to gloat now did you?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

doss more like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'm absolutley useless so feel free to add me for your first win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've played about 60 games and have a 70% win ratio. I find it easy to beat players who just use through balls all the time. Play as Arsenal nearly all the time, bar a few other occassions.

When defending I rarely ever pressure with the player I'm controlling. I hold x to get a computer controlled player to pressure the opposition player with the ball, and I use the player I'm controlling to cover the runner. Works a charm almost every time. And if there's no runner going through and the opposition are breaking at around the half way line I'll always run a defender back and leave the computer controlled players to pressure. Basically make sure there's somebody deep. The computer won't do it for you so that's the easiest way I've found.

Also I find the game is pass pass pass, and it can be easy to just keep passing and lose the ball in a compromising position. There's nothing wrong with hoofing it away from your box every now and again to give you time to reorganise your defence.

I do the thing with pressing lb to change player and the computer's already done it. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Had my first go online at this there this evening. I gotta be honest, i'd say i lost my first 7 games before finally winning one. My defense is my main problem i think. Most of the goals scored against me are from through balls or just a striker running loose. Dont know how to combat it!!! Anyone have any tips to prevent this?? Its so fooking annoying!!

If anyone fancies giving a game sometime, the Gamertag is below:)

Advertisement