Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable or Fixed - Need Help!

Options
  • 21-11-2008 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

I am getting my first mortage and had orginally agreed to a 5 year fixed rate with First Active and I am about to close the sale but now think that I should go for variable. Unfortunately the variable is a higher repayment.

(Buying the apartment through the affordable housing)

Which of the following do you think I should go for? :confused:

Variable repayment after tax relief - €1,166 or
    5 year fixed rate after tax relief - €1,140

Would appreciate any advice thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We need more information- for example- what percentages are being offered, whether there are penalties to switch from fixed to variable, etc etc.

The absolute sums being paid seem fine- but its entirely possible that you may be able to negotiate a better deal out of them- only we don't have enough information to comment on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Philomena wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am getting my first mortage and had orginally agreed to a 5 year fixed rate with First Active and I am about to close the sale but now think that I should go for variable. Unfortunately the variable is a higher repayment.

(Buying the apartment through the affordable housing)

Which of the following do you think I should go for? :confused:

Variable repayment after tax relief - €1,166 or
    5 year fixed rate after tax relief - €1,140

Similar situation myself.

congrats on the house!

I went with

2/3 Fixed

1/3 Tracker

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Philomena

smccarrick wrote: »
    We need more information- for example- what percentages are being offered, whether there are penalties to switch from fixed to variable, etc etc.

The absolute sums being paid seem fine- but its entirely possible that you may be able to negotiate a better deal out of them- only we don't have enough information to comment on it here.

Sorry didn't give enough information:

Borrowing €220,000 from First Active over 28 years (Buying the apartment through the affordable housing)

5.9% for 5 year Fixed
    6.3% Variable

Which do you think I should go for?

jetski wrote: »
    Similar situation myself.

congrats on the house!

I went with

2/3 Fixed

1/3 Tracker

All the best

Hi jetski,

Congratulations to you too and thanks

Philomena wrote: »
    Sorry didn't give enough information:

Borrowing €220,000 from First Active over 28 years (Buying the apartment through the affordable housing)

5.9% for 5 year Fixed
    6.3% Variable

Which do you think I should go for?

The rates seem very high, if you don't mind me saying.
    BOI are currently 5.9% variable, 5.5% fixed (according to their website) (trackers don't seem to be available anywhere though).

Personally I'd go for the variable rate- as the difference between the variable and the fixed is only .4% and rates are widely expected to fall (though how far and how long is anyone's guess).

I really don't think the rates you are being quoted are competitive- have you shopped around?

• Advertisement

AIB have a one year fixed rate of 3.25% for first time buyers (link here)

Seriously- make sure that you get as good a deal as possible. The rates from First Active do not appear to be competitive at the moment.........

smccarrick wrote: »
    AIB have a one year fixed rate of 3.25% for first time buyers (link here)

Seriously- make sure that you get as good a deal as possible. The rates from First Active do not appear to be competitive at the moment.........

I went through a broker and she said that this was the best she could get for me. Cant go through AIB unforunately as its affordable housing.

Thanks for the advice

Advertisement