Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wenger fumes at no-shows

• 21-11-2008 9:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Arsene Wenger today spoke to sky posrts about international games and his concerns regarding the number of players withdrawn from the international games only to lineup for their respective teams days later. He said these players should be barred from playing their next club game if they fail to report for international duty. I think this is actualy a great idea and would help put a stop to international friendlies effectively being viewed upon as 'B' internationals that arent important.

What do ppl think??

Now i personally am of the view that the friendlys this week were ridiculously timed, however once they are scheduled all clubs should be forced to toe the line and run the risk of injured players or else it is clearly gonna be an unfair advantage for these players and their teams.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

International friendlies are a joke at any time during the season. You have the likes of Robinho and C. Ronaldo trapsing all the way to Brazil for a crappy exhibition game on a Wednesday then having to make the trek all the way back for a game on the Saturday.

They serve no purpose in November as the next round of qualifiers isn't until February and all sorts of things can happen between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

International friendlies at this stage of the season are the soccer equivalent of jury duty. Only the stupid can't come up with an excuse to get out of it.

While there is no greater honour than representing one's country, there needs to be some perspective. At a club level, players are ramping up for an already hectic Christmas schedule, with many already committing to three, even four or five, competitions. The last thing they should be asked to do is to fly around the world, train under a different coach, only to line up for 60-odd minutes on some cold November night against a wholly-disinterested, second-string Hungary team, or some such.

There's no doubt that clubs pressurise players into withdrawing. But then, why wouldn't they? These players are often multi-million pound investments, and great care is taken at club level to ensure they stay injury-free and in tip-top shape. Despite this, a sudden upheaval both in terms of geography, as well as with nutrition, training methods and playing style can throw all that hard work and preparation out the window.

If a player picks up an injury in an International Friendly in November, it is the club that will suffer, not the national side. And so far, FIFA have done little in the way to acknowledge this, or compensate for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This is a system they already employ in Italy. If you miss the international game through what ever reason your banned from taking part in your next club game. While I do agree that a friendly this time of year is quite simply ridiculous I do agree with the system of missing the next club game.

Personally I think it should be brought in everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

iregk wrote: »
    This is a system they already employ in Italy. If you miss the international game through what ever reason your banned from taking part in your next club game. While I do agree that a friendly this time of year is quite simply ridiculous I do agree with the system of missing the next club game.

Personally I think it should be brought in everywhere.
    Nonsense
    Player struggling to get back from injury may be needed on Saturday as the team are short - having intensive treatment-shoudl he be stopped from playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

whatever about providing a stimulus to get players involved with the national team, the biggest obstacle presented by the Internationals is the fixtures calender.

I personally would prefer to see fewer, but longer international breaks. Say assign a 3 week period in early Autumn and early Spring over which all the internationals for the year are spread. I think the longer international breaks will first the national teams to gel a bit better making for better football and give players a reason to take the internationals more seriously, as if they don't have a national team to play for they face a long period without any matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

International friendlies should be kept as pre-tournament warm-ups. Surely they could play around with qualifying group sizes to make more games meaningful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

whatever about providing a stimulus to get players involved with the national team, the biggest obstacle presented by the Internationals is the fixtures calender.

I personally would prefer to see fewer, but longer international breaks. Say assign a 3 week period in early Autumn and early Spring over which all the internationals for the year are spread. I think the longer international breaks will first the national teams to gel a bit better making for better football and give players a reason to take the internationals more seriously, as if they don't have a national team to play for they face a long period without any matches.

nice idea in some ways, but im not sure all the non top teams who dont have any internationals will be happy with these massive gaps devoid of football, or the non internationals at the better teams who are sitting on their tod in an almost empty dressing room for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I don't think any international side should be expected to play anymore than 6 games per year (not including finals tournaments that is - which are off season anyway).

Best thing would be to give International sides 2x 2-week periods (possibly in September and March) and they can play 3 to 4 games in each period. No club games will be played in these 2x windows (or if they are you'll do it without your players) and outside of that there will be no international fixtures allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Should be completely seperate. If a player doesn't want to represent his country during the week fair enough, that should have no bearing on his day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    nice idea in some ways, but im not sure all the non top teams who dont have any internationals will be happy with these massive gaps devoid of football, or the non internationals at the better teams who are sitting on their tod in an almost empty dressing room for 3 weeks.

aye, that's where the problems could arise, but it's also the factor that I was saying would hopefully drive players further to want to participate in their National team setups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

podge018 wrote: »
    Should be completely seperate. If a player doesn't want to represent his country during the week fair enough, that should have no bearing on his day job.

Straight from the Alex Ferguson school of taught I see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aye, that's where the problems could arise, but it's also the factor that I was saying would hopefully drive players further to want to participate in their National team setups.

yes but for every 20-30 professional footballs called up for a country, there are hundreds from that country who simply dont get to play any football for nearly a month (if this was brought in everywhere).

Again, i like the idea, have like a mini spree of international games every so often, its just that that size of a break is too disruptive for the domestic leagues, which are the bread and butter of football. There are far less international footballers then there are professional footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

for those who want friendlys scrapped, can I ask one question.

How do you propose the FAI pay for the world class stadium that is currently being build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Straight from the Alex Ferguson school of taught I see :rolleyes:

If it is, it would be a first for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

podge018 wrote: »
    If it is, it would be a first for me.

lol , you dont like big grumpy red-nosed men i take it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

how about FIFA introducing an international suspension for players found feigning injury. Or perhaps something as severe as all the players from that club being suspended from internationals meaning if Rio Ferdinand wants a break he risks pissing off everybody else at the club.

I know it isnt really feasable but it would make great viewing if it happened at a club like Utd..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

International friendlies are stupid and most certainlly should not be on during the season.

This thing of havign to turn up for internationals is stupid aswell. If you dont want to play for your country then thats fine.It should be entirely up to a player whether he wants to be considered for games or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

for those who want friendlys scrapped, can I ask one question.

How do you propose the FAI pay for the world class stadium that is currently being build?

Sell more vantage tickets.

Advertisement