Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worrying noise 1 day after timing belt change

Options
  • 21-11-2008 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All

Had timing belt changed on Wednesday. Its a 99 Volvo s40 1.8
    Noticed yesterday and today that when I hit 50mph or over in 4th or 5th gear there is a fairly audible noise akin to a cd turning in a cd player but getting caught at one point every turn, like a reoccurring brushing noise.
    I guess obviously I will have to take the car back but does it ring a bell with anyone what exactly the problem is so I have some idea before speaking to the mechanic? Incorrectly fitted belt ? Is it advisable to leave this until Monday (I was planning on using the car at weekend, ~200 mile round trip)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ring your mechanic today. Don't leave it over the weekend just in case.

Unless you don't actually like the car and want to change it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The belt might be rubbing off the timing belt cover. Definitely get it checked out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Tensioners:confused:, first thing I taught of when I read your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had something similar with mine, clicking sound though. Turns out a bit of the belt had shredded off and was hitting of something everytime it spun round. Sure i left it for the weekend, low and behold it snapped.

Lesson for the day : If it's anything to do with a timing belt, run, quiet fast to where you got it done. It might not be anything major, but if it does snapped, your looking at a whole lot of a big bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I had something similar with mine, clicking sound though. Turns out a bit of the belt had shredded off and was hitting of something everytime it spun round. Sure i left it for the weekend, low and behold it snapped.

Lesson for the day : If it's anything to do with a timing belt, run, quiet fast to where you got it done. It might not be anything major, but if it does snapped, your looking at a whole lot of a big bill.

I had the same thing. it was my alternator belt though so not a big deal. get it checked out straight away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Lesson for the day : If it's anything to do with a timing belt, run, quiet fast to where you got it done. It might not be anything major, but if it does snapped, your your mechanic is looking at a whole lot of a big bill.

Fixed that for ya!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya!

Lol, either way, it'll cause more hassle than it's worth:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya!

Ive heard stories where people leave car in for timing belt. get it done. short time later tensioner lets go. Garage says well for the price I was charging, you must have known it was belt only etc etc and taking no responsibility. Its a joke I know but it happens

mickdw wrote: »
    Ive heard stories where people leave car in for timing belt. get it done. short time later tensioner lets go. Garage says well for the price I was charging, you must have known it was belt only etc etc and taking no responsibility. Its a joke I know but it happens

Difference between timing belt, and timing belt kit me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Very simple problem in the end thankfully. The plastic casing under the engine was hanging down a bit and obviously hadnt been tightened on properly after the job was finished. cable ties or something did the job quickly.

For those who would point out that if they couldn't even get this part right, what kind of job did they do on the actual belt itself etc.... that crossed my mind too but I've had a lot of work done by that garage and always find them to be honest and do good work. Just one of these thing I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement