Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if i posted "help somebody.. ring 911"

Options
  • 21-11-2008 9:35am

if i posted

"help somebody.. ring 911! there's a man in my house with a gun.. and i don't have a phone."

followed by the address and that, would you ring?

If it were someone with a high post count and trust worthly name, i still dunno if i would..? can you make 911 requests online or do you need a cellular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You would be a while waiting for the US cops to answer the phone and even if they did you would be waiting a while for them to respond.

lol is that not even the irish number?

can ya ring 0044911 to get american cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

no,im sorry this had to be said but you're a fool

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

First of all 00 44 is a UK number. 00 1 is the US.

Mod alert. Lock this tripe. It hurts my brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

before the thread gets locked I thought that even if 1 person learned something new it might be useful to say that 112 is the European emergency number.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Try +61 000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Due to your username I'd tell you to fecking Google their email address......

Edit:

if i posted

"help somebody.. ring 911! there's a man in my house with a gun.. and i don't have a phone."

If it were someone with a high post count and trust worthly name, i still dunno if i would..? can you make 911 requests online or do you need a cellular?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

OP. No point in calling someone if we couldn't say where they had to go. You'd have to post your name and address along with what was the problem. I think you'd be dead at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Hahahahahahahah...... SNAP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Believe it or not, 911 will auto divert to 999 over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The emergency numbers in Ireland are 999 and the new European number 112 but someone told me that if you call 911 you will still get through to the emergency services and that this facility had been put in place because we watch so many 'murcan films and TV that lots of people call that number automatically.
    Can anyone confirm if 911 will reach the (Irish) emergency services?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

antodeco wrote: »
    Believe it or not, 911 will auto divert to 999 over here!
    You posted and I posted and you got there before me. Thanks Anto. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

112 is the number you need

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

if i posted

I'd sit back apathetically and presume someone else will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

No.......I'd let him brutally murder you and dismember your body,hide it in the fridge and take on your identity, then I'd ring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if i posted

Why would you? If you have time to post on the net you've time to email the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd email the gardai a link to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I'd love to see you threatening the burglar about what you'd done.

"You'd better get out now while you can. I've posted my address details online and any minute now 43 Dominos delivery men, 15 taxi men, 5 hookers, a skip, and two tonnes of gravel are going to be in the drive and one of them is bound to have a mobile".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

How can you have an internet connection without a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

OldGoat wrote: »
    The emergency numbers in Ireland are 999 and the new European number 112 but someone told me that if you call 911 you will still get through to the emergency services and that this facility had been put in place because we watch so many 'murcan films and TV that lots of people call that number automatically.
    Can anyone confirm if 911 will reach the (Irish) emergency services?

Ya, I rang 911 before out fo curiosity and it went through to the Irish emergency services. Was quite surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'd do it. I know another Boardsie who ws locked in a building, they went onto yahoo chat and got someone to ring their family to get them out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've an internet connection with out a phone. NTL all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Cable, wifi... OP: Install Skype. Fast. You could accidentally slip and fall on a knife at any moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Elephant Monkey

Easy! Loads of broadband is available wireless without landlines! Most mobile providers have a broadband package and you don't need a land line or phone!
    Or you could be picking up someone else's broadband that isn't locked!

Ta Daaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

6th wrote: »
    I'd do it. I know another Boardsie who ws locked in a building, they went onto yahoo chat and got someone to ring their family to get them out.

..........and this one time at band camp :P

Karoma wrote: »
    Cable, wifi... OP: Install Skype. Fast. You could accidentally slip and fall on a knife at any moment.

They advise you not to ring emergency numbers using Skype though. Apparently it's because there's no way for them to track you, if you are incapable of talking.

Ring 11850 instead. It wont help you, but it sure is nifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I meant, how can you have a relatively luxurient service like broadband without access to a telephone?

Battery in your mobile dead?and no landline phone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They advise you not to ring emergency numbers using Skype though. Apparently it's because there's no way for them to track you, if you are incapable of talking.

Ring 11850 instead. It wont help you, but it sure is nifty.

I'd consider "don't accidentally slip and fall on a knife" better advice. 'They' have their priorities wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are you on webcam while whatever emergency it is is going on?

Can we sit back like disaffected internet zombies and watch you get raped/murdered/fellated eh......attacked?

If so then no. No I'll hold off on that phonecall for a while.

Advertisement