Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if i posted "help somebody.. ring 911"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

From http://goireland.about.com

Main Emergency Services in the Republic and Northern Ireland

* Police
    Dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator to put you through to the Gardai (Republic of Ireland) or the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI).
    * EMS and Ambulance
    Dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator to put you through to the ambulance service.
    * Fire and Rescue
    Dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator to put you through to the fire service.
    * Marine and Coastal Emergencies
    Dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator to put you through to the Coast Guard. The Garda Costa (RoI) or Her Majesty's Coast Guard (NI) will coordinate the response by cliff rescue teams, inshore rescue units, lifeboats and SAR helicopters if necessary.
    * Mountain Rescue
    Dial 112 or 999 and ask the operator to put you through to the mountain rescue service.

Other Emergency and Helpline Phone Numbers in the Republic of Ireland

* Alcoholics Anonymous (Dublin) - 01 453 8998
    * AWARE Depression Support - 01 676 6166
    * Irish Tourist Assistance Service - 01 478 5295
    * Rape Crisis Centre - 1800 778 888 or 1800 212 122
    * Samaritans - 1850 609 090

Embassies in the Republic of Ireland

* United States Embassy - 01 668 8777
    * Canadian Embassy - 01 417 4100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And the most crappy thread of the year goes to....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Karoma wrote: »
    I'd consider "don't accidentally slip and fall on a knife" better advice. 'They' have their priorities wrong.

In the case of the OP i'd say carry lots of sharp knives at all times and fall down a lot? Please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

on the subject of every one always having a phone

i hate that movies/telly instead of doing away with the idea of not having communication they break empty the battery or put out of use the phone of whoever should have one

its really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

antodeco wrote: »
    Believe it or not, 911 will auto divert to 999 over here!

There was a thread a while ago about this and apparently it's true. I rang 911 one night in a stuper and got through to the emergency services

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055410162&highlight=911+emergency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tigger wrote: »
    on the subject of every one always having a phone

i hate that movies/telly instead of doing away with the idea of not having communication they break empty the battery or put out of use the phone of whoever should have one

its really annoying

It's essential for many plot points though. Otherwise lots of movies would be ****.

"Oh my God how will we warn her the killer is actually in the barn she's going into?"
    "Hang on - I'll text her."
    Beep. Beep.
    "Phew. That was close. I almost got attacked by that killer in the barn. Thank you Vodafone!"

THE END.

"Hi. Can I have my 10 euro back please? That movie had all the suspense of a limp hotdog."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

How do you know he has a gun? Are you locked in your room? Is there only one way of getting out of your house? Does he know you're locked in your room and is trying to get in? Is he just robbing you, hoping you'll stay in your room? Why would he stick around if he though he knew you knew he was there? He doesn't know you don't have a phone.

I'd let him shoot you. One less idiot in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

different question - can you actually text an emergency number?
    Say you're in a house with a burglar, and you don't want to draw attention to yourself by speaking - what do you do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm surprised that nobody's realized that if the OPs posts his address on boards looking for help and is murdered that means we have the address of a free house and can party it up until the body starts to smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Ring 11811 and ask them to forward you :D

It's worth noting that it's bad practise to say 0044 or 001 or 00353

While this may be correct, in the US, they actually dial 011 and then the country code... so for ireland it would be 011 353 ......

Which is why it's better practise to say +44 for UK... +353 for Ireland... etc.

OP: worst post ever! at least if you're gonna make the +44911 joke.. at least get the country code right. Although, re-reading this makes me only think you were looking for people to get angry.

bleh.. I don't care anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

This reminds me of a forum i was on yesterday,
    basically a fella started a thread saying he was going to top himself and listed all the drugs hed taken. he then set up a webcam and invited everyone to watch.

thread was full of stuff like "DO IT ******" and "he's only doing this to get attention". they then watched as the guy climbed into bed. 5 hours later after no movement from him police entered room and covered camera.
    Turnns out he wasnt bull****ting, and actually did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Frelance wrote: »
    This reminds me of a forum i was on yesterday

Yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

basically a fella started a thread saying he was going to top himself and listed all the drugs hed taken. he then set up a webcam and invited everyone to watch.

thread was full of stuff like "DO IT ******" and "he's only doing this to get attention". they then watched as the guy climbed into bed. 5 hours later after no movement from him police entered room and covered camera.

Why didn't you call the police you heartless swine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Sure if they have time to post on boards they have internet...and hence a phone line? if not they should be VOIP'in it up biatch. Im sure they'd be some reference to there ma'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Dinter wrote: »
    I'd love to see you threatening the burglar about what you'd done.

"You'd better get out now while you can. I've posted my address details online and any minute now 43 Dominos delivery men, 15 taxi men, 5 hookers, a skip, and two tonnes of gravel are going to be in the drive and one of them is bound to have a mobile".

:D haha...

And yes 911 does divert to 112 i just tried it out of sheer boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Be expecting a phone call in a minute :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

Ah is that what the '+' is always there for!!!

Cully wrote: »
    Ring 11811 and ask them to forward you :D

It's worth noting that it's bad practise to say 0044 or 001 or 00353

While this may be correct, in the US, they actually dial 011 and then the country code... so for ireland it would be 011 353 ......

Which is why it's better practise to say +44 for UK... +353 for Ireland... etc.

OP: worst post ever! at least if you're gonna make the +44911 joke.. at least get the country code right. Although, re-reading this makes me only think you were looking for people to get angry.

bleh.. I don't care anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

what board was that

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Randi wrote: »
    what board was that

Bebo... every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think most mobile phones even if sim locked or without a sim will accept 112 or 911 (as the unlock code) so you can make an emergency call

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

eolhc wrote: »
    I think most mobile phones even if sim locked or without a sim will accept 112 or 911 (as the unlock code) so you can make an emergency call

You can even call 112 without a SIM usually :)

112 is a GSM-only emergency number though I read last year that the US were making it a law that mobiles sold in the states routed 112 to 911.

Here something 'interesting'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

France Emergency numbers :

Police #17
    Medical More severe #15
    Medical Less severe #18
    Fire #18

112 for any of the 3 services. 112 calls are answered by 15 or 18 dispatchers, depending on the caller's location. 115 for homeless.

The homeless in France get a special number to dial ?

So how many boardsie's rang 911 to see if it worked?

Ponster wrote: »

I heard there's a special free phone number for the homeless in Dublin too. They can phone it and be collected to be brought to a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ponster wrote: »

It goes to an answering machine "I'm sorry but we're not home right now.."

Did some checkin'...

In France you dial 115 (freephone) if you're homeless and need a place to sleep during the winter. There are about 100,000 homeless in the greater Paris region and we get about 10+ deaths from cold per year. Last winter they got about 200 calls per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Link?

Advertisement