Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots at gigs. When will it end?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm just getting old but the fad for **** quality recordings of gigs on mobile phones surely has to end? I don't understand it. Why would you pay to go to a gig, especially at the extortionate ticket prices of the current era, and spend the whole show worrying about the angle of your phone so you're getting the right shot at a ****ty bit rate instead of actually experiencing the magic of the live music show and just enjoying yourself? Is a **** quality mpeg more important these days than the actual memory?

Case in point, I went to the Cynic/Opeth gig on Tuesday. Up in the second row, great view of the stage until, as soon as Cynic started playing, the schmoe in front of me held his phone up in the air in front of me so he could record a **** video of it. Being a gentleman, I allowed him a couple of minutes before I politley tapped him on the shoulder and, when he turned around, informed him that his phone was blocking my view of the stage and instructed him to get it out of my face. I had waited 15 years to see Cynic and hadn't paid to watch some goon's hand with a phone in it. Being a foot or so taller than him probably helped keep the situation calm and he moved the phone out of my way.

However, he then held the phone right in front of his own face and proceeded to watch the next three songs through the teeny tiny screen of his phone. Is it just me or does that strike you as ****ing stupid? Why go to a gig if you're going to watch it through a ****ing phone screen? The guy was clearly a fan of the band, he had an album cover as his phone wallpaper, so why would someone destroy the live music experience for the sake of a **** quality video? Help me out here, I just don't get it. To me, a gig is all about the intimate musical experience, you get to witness skilled musicians perform the music you love a few feet in front of you, it's just you and the band and the music in that moment, when did human memory stop being enough?

How is a crap quality video better than really experiencing the music?

From now on, I've decided, I'm not going to give a couple of minute's grace to phone lofters. Get your hand and your phone out of my face. If your friend couldn't bother their hole coming to the gig and you want to call them so they can hear the thing, too bad, don't do it in front of me. Do you really think a phone video is going to make you the world champion of youtube or whatever, not my problem, get your ****ing phone out of my face. I don't mind people taking the odd pic or two, it's just these selfish pricks who insist on imposing themselves on everyone else's experience of the gig by continually keeping their phones in the air and in people's faces.

No more, I say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nice rant, too true.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I use for my camera at every gig. I like to have photographs and the odd video of maybe one song as a keep sake. I wouldn't have it out for the whole thing but nothing wrong with having a few snaps and a vid to look at later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

As I said, I don't mind people taking a few pics, it's the gob****es who insist on compromising others enjoyment of a gig over a number of songs that I have run out of patience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I agree with you but unfortunately was guilty myself only a few weeks ago. Seen Carcass in Brisbane a few weeks ago, rocking gig. Did record 1 tune because my memory is crap and coupled with litres of XXXX Gold I figured I would need a reminder seeing as my memories of them in the Tivoli in Dublin in the early 90's is non-existent.

The gig rocked, and my 4 minute recording didn't interfere with anyone elses view (i went to upper level right of stage, no one there). Muse a couple years ago in the Point was terrible and I'm 6'2". Phones everywhere, my missus had a terrible time trying to see. I've got the photos ha ha (only kidding).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What's weirder is people treating metal gigs like they're at the bleedin opera, "i cant see the stage"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

i can see where you're coming from but i went to see a certain band last summer, and they put on a lightshow that simply had to be captured on camera, despite the ****ty quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Bambi wrote: »
    What's weirder is people treating metal gigs like they're at the bleedin opera, "i cant see the stage"

Yeah, because who in their right mind wants to actually see the musicians they payed to see? :rolleyes:

Yeah, because who in their right mind wants to actually see the musicians they payed to see? :rolleyes:

Deadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Was at MGMT in Amsterdam last week, was right up at the stage - somebody to my left recorded about 1/2 hour of the gig on their phone....I was busy enjoying the music and er...other stuff...but anyway - True can't see the point.....although I do have a hazy memory maybe I could get that recording.....

Meaning...

Meaning that the OP has a point, but you should be reasonable about it. If they are not in your way, it's none of your business what they choose to do at a gig.

I don't film gigs, but if I did, and somebody got in my face aggressively about it, my reaction would be violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

Whats even worse is those who upload the crappy video onto you tube and the like where it looses quality and becomes an even more crappy video.

stovelid wrote: »
    Meaning that the OP has a point, but you should be reasonable about it. If they are not in your way, it's none of your business what they choose to do at a gig.
    Absolutely, if they're not in your way, like happyoutscan who made sure he wasn't getting in someone else's way. The problem is he seems to be in a minority, there are plenty of folk who are happy to stick their phone in other people's faces for the sake of a low quality video.

I don't film gigs, but if I did, and somebody got in my face aggressively about it, my reaction would be violent.
    Who said anything about being aggressive?

Irony at 11, keyboard warrior tells other poster to buy anger management for dummies. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Whats even worse is those who upload the crappy video onto you tube and the like where it looses quality and becomes an even more crappy video.

And when you go to search on youtube for an artist you like all you find is ****ty recordings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Can't stand muppets constantly taking photos and videos at gigs. It shouldn't be why you're there! Remember being at Band of Horses in February and there was one guy taking photo's every few minutes! How can you possibley enjoy a gig when you're acting like a 12 year old at a Take That concert!?! You can't possibely experience the band.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Who said anything about being aggressive?

From now on, I've decided, I'm not going to give a couple of minute's grace to phone lofters. Get your hand and your phone out of my face.

Do you really think a phone video is going to make you the world champion of youtube or whatever, not my problem, get your ****ing phone out of my face.

If you intend on actually confronting people about it like that, it's bad form. If you just point it out reasonably, I'd agree with you. Sticking a phone in front of somebody is rude.
    Irony at 11, keyboard warrior tells other poster to buy anger management for dummies. :pac:

Wind it in Karl. I'm not a keyboard warrior. As I understand it, a KW looks for fights, and threatens people online. I'd never do this. If somebody bugged me a gig, I'd ask them to stop, or move way. If somebody was unnecessarily rude or aggressive to me, I'd consider it a provocation.

Fair enough if the OP was just being figurative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

If it wasn't for these mobile cameramen I'd have never seen Noel Gallagher being pushed off the stage in Canada, thats gotta be worth something:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I'd definitely take a handful of pictures and maybe a short video or two if I had my camera (compact, not phone) with me, it's a reminder to take a step back for a bit and soak it in and it's nice to be able to look back on them down the line too.

Of course, recording the entire thing on your phone or watching it through the viewfinder is not so cool :p.

• Advertisement

I though they paid to listen to them but maybe thats just me :pac:

If you intend on actually confronting people about it like that, it's bad form. If you just point it out reasonably, I'd agree with you. Sticking a phone in front of somebody is rude.

Wind it in Karl. I'm not a keyboard warrior. As I understand it, a KW looks for fights, and threatens people online. I'd never do this. If somebody bugged me a gig, I'd ask them to stop, or move way. If somebody was unnecessarily rude or aggressive to me, I'd consider it a provocation.

Fair enough if the OP was just being figurative.
    Being a gentleman, I allowed him a couple of minutes before I politley tapped him on the shoulder and, when he turned around, informed him that his phone was blocking my view of the stage and instructed him to get it out of my face.

Politely... kinda different to aggreesively, yeah? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

:pac: brilliant! very true as well

But we are getting old Doc, i actually got seated tickets to Metallica a couple of years back as a favour, and i actually enjoyed sitting back there rattling the jewelry.

I though they paid to listen to them but maybe thats just me :pac:

Seeing the bands perform the music is as much a part of it as hearing them perform it. Why else would the crowd be facing the musicians, or or so many of them queue up early to get closer to the stage? I don't see people staring at their shows or gazing into their pint while a guitarist is cracking out a solo; all eyes are on him. It's live a show, and seeing the musicians do their thing is a huge part of it.

Then getting into it is a big part of it too, like going f****in mental as opposed to gawking at some band with your arms crossed, and if cedric the train spotting opeth fan doesnt like it he may stay down the back and gawk away:pac:

This reminds me, me and a mate were at a gig a few years back. Well known band in metal circles that the other lad was good mates with and we're upstairs leaning on the balcony occassionally shouting down at the lads in the band. Anyway some kevin the ponytailed hamster had nabbed two chairs from somewhere and plonked them down to the side if us for himself and his burd, anyway he kept jumping up and angrily tapping me on the shoulder telling me to get out of their view.

I just kept laughing and telling him to stand up then, its not the bleedin proms. He eventually had to be told he was going to be tapped in the head if he did it once more :pac:

The moral here is don't be a kevin, If people wanna rock or take pictures or whatever then let them rock and keep to hamster friendly areas of the venue like i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Situations like that described by the OP, is why I rarely go to gigs here anymore. (Also bands I like dont play here) In the past fortnight I have been at concerts in France and the Netherlands and at both, the crowd were friendly, no sh!tty camera phones in your face and no invading your "personal space". I've found that the concert idiot seems to be found at concerts here and in the UK, but manners still seem to be prevalent amongst our continental neighbours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hetfield's damn right tbh. Made me put my camera away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The bottom line is that people can record what they like and for as long as they like................ provided they are not interfering with other people's enjoyment. How to prevent people spoiling it for others is the problem. Even if it was made illegal to use mobile phones at a gig, it would be hard to enforce. The mobile camara phone is todays version of the other old (but still with us) problem of people constantly chattering away at gigs, especially small pub venues. I've had many a good gig ruined for me at JJ Smiths pub this way. People pay in, then talk through the whole gig. Ironically the bar downstairs where they could talk in peace and for free is usually half empty. :rolleyes: It's just down to pure ignorance and a lack of thought for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

feylya wrote: »

Hetfield's damn right tbh. Made me put my camera away :pac:

That's a great solution !! If more bands did that it would go a long way to solve the problem.

• Advertisement

A lot of the criticism hasn't been about getting in people's way. It's been about people not 'paying attenton' to the band.

The point is that not everyone has to gaze at the band in reverence if they don't want to. Nothing wrong with taking pictures if people want to.

The problem is when you don't show consideration for others by sticking the phone in people's faces/chatting loudly/dancing into people/throwing stuff. Obviously, none of this is fair to people who have paid in.

Advertisement