Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots at gigs. When will it end?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ill never understand why people spend most of the gigs on their camera, on the other hand those who complain about wanting to see the musicians and wanting a good view, are usually the ones who complain about people bumping into them.
    Seeing the bands perform the music is as much a part of it as hearing them perform it. Why else would the crowd be facing the musicians, or or so many of them queue up early to get closer to the stage? I don't see people staring at their shows or gazing into their pint while a guitarist is cracking out a solo; all eyes are on him. It's live a show, and seeing the musicians do their thing is a huge part of it.

Queuing up mad early and running up to the stage is for teenage girls wanting to see the "hot lead singer like omigod."

I rarely bother looking at the band, very rarely actually. Im there to experience the live show soak up the atmosphere and generally get myself lost in the gig. Standing there just staring at the band with a slight head motion? **** that. If a gig was populated by the majority of them i would cease going. And dont get me started on the people who hate others singing the songs or getting animated. Them lot are the biggest buzz kills ive ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Bambi wrote: »
    Then getting into it is a big part of it too, like going f****in mental as opposed to gawking at some band with your arms crossed, and if cedric the train spotting opeth fan doesnt like it he may stay down the back and gawk away:pac:
    Yeah, but holding a mobile phone perfectly stationary in the air isn't exactly getting into it either ;)

People getting into it is the whole point. Getting bounced around with people absorbed in the music is the beauty of live music. It's people who are so detached from it that they're content to concentrate on recording a **** quality video and watch proceedings on a 2" screen, all the while getting in the faces of those who are into it, that's the whole ****ing problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hey I'm not a camera person at all, we're singing off the same hymn sheet here doctorj, i think people who cant even go to a pub without whipping the camera out for their poxy bebo page or whatever are sad/weird/missing the point.

I hear ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

OK. So has anyone any suggestions as to how to solve the problem, apart from the excellent solution in felya's clip above ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I brought a camera to gigs once or twice but ended up getting arse photos and missing decent tunes while trying to get a decent pic. Never again.

What I found was worse was the one or two people I overheard moaning that I was headbanging!

I was at the side, not hitting off anyone at an Opeth gig.
    The mind boggles........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's awful dude. I wanted to go to that gig. Uni and work got in the way. :(

It is so annoying when some git takes his phone out and starts recording. Taking a few shots of the band with your camera is fine. Always try to it quickly so as not to be like a dick with a phone/camera in my hand when it is the gig you go to. It does happen a lot here and in the UK (Manchester Academy, Carling Academy - Birmingham/Newcastle being main culprits)

Regarding the continent they are much more friendly and open (Mantova, Zurich and Barcelona). However, was at the My Chemical Romance gig in Vienna where at least half the crowd had phones and it was difficult to see the gig. That was the only bad exception. Sorry to hear about your experience OP, especially considering it was an awesome gig from what has been heard of it. Heard Cynic were fantastic and Opeth put on a very good performance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

feylya wrote: »

Hetfield's damn right tbh. Made me put my camera away :pac:

Never thought I'd agree with Metallica. There you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rigsby wrote: »
    OK. So has anyone any suggestions as to how to solve the problem, apart from the excellent solution in felya's clip above ?

A special section of the venue for people who want to film or take pics of the gig? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Plus, mobile phones are woeful at recording gig-level sounds. Phones have noise cancelling features that cancel out most of the music.

Another thing that REALLY piisses me off is people "singing" along with the band at the top of their voices especially as it always seems to be dip****s who cant sing a note :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Doctor J wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just getting old but the fad for **** quality recordings of gigs on mobile phones surely has to end? I don't understand it. Why would you pay to go to a gig, especially at the extortionate ticket prices of the current era, and spend the whole show worrying about the angle of your phone so you're getting the right shot at a ****ty bit rate instead of actually experiencing the magic of the live music show and just enjoying yourself? Is a **** quality mpeg more important these days than the actual memory?

Spot on!! Cant remember who exactly said thsi or in the exact words but basically, ppl that are doing this are not actually living the experience at that moment, so when someone who does tht says they were there, in fact they are not really there! they are distorting the view and not livign the moment.

IF PPL WANNA WATCH BANDS LIKE THIS JUST GO ONTO YOUTUBE! DONT BUY A TICKET THAT COULD GO TO AN ACTUAL LIVE FAN WHO WILL LIVE THE EXPERIENCE INSTEAD OF LIVING THE VIDEO MEMORY!

Another thing that REALLY piisses me off is people "singing" along with the band at the top of their voices especially as it always seems to be dip****s who cant sing a note :mad:

Who gives a ****? Do you not know the words or something? Do you stand around like a spare plank of wood moaning about people enjoying themselves? Stay at home the rest of the crowd will thank you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

That's nothing on morons clapping, yes - clapping, out of time. Except, of course, for the hilarity in watching the drummer while they do it! :D

I would imagine it would be quite demoralising for a band to have a crowd of silent planks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Davei141 wrote: »
    Who gives a ****? Do you not know the words or something? Do you stand around like a spare plank of wood moaning about people enjoying themselves? Stay at home the rest of the crowd will thank you for it.

Yes sir !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's nothing on morons clapping, yes - clapping, out of time. Except, of course, for the hilarity in watching the drummer while they do it! :D

Oh yes! The clapping, you're no the only one who doesn't like it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

The whole 'phone-filming the gig' thing is pretty lame. And as for not seeing the band? Just jump up and down and you'll be able to see all you want to see.

Next time you're at a gig, and you're having a problem with either one of the aforementioned activities, why not try dancing with the girls its this crazy idea I came up with a while back. All you need is a pair of balls, some common sense (which has been destroyed by alcohol) and some hormones; no motherfvckin phones needed!

Some mental folk actually believe that this is the whole idea behind most forms of mass congregation.

Although I admit this approach may prove problematic in the mosh pit.

Save the clapping for after the gig i agree, clapping is for the people who dont know any words and are feeling awkward doing sweet fa.

Hey, there's always air guitar :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I agree with the OP, that film the gig and look at it after thing is the type of bullshįt that ruins the the night for you. I had tickets to see that gig (mainly for Opeth though), but my brother and I went to Airbourne the week before and he got the flu so he said he'd give it a miss as he was only recovering. Another thing that gets on my tits (don't take it that wrong, I'm a man) is excessive drinking before and during the concert. I don't mind the lads who can handle it and don't OD it. At a Happy Mondays concert a year before September, the gent infront of me was drinking far too much over the course of the night and IIRC he drank around 7 plastic pints and another pint, which so happened to land on me. He was acting quite the fool, broke a light and towards the end, ending up on the ground and around my knees trying to pull himself up. Eventually he was taken away by security, me gratefull as the prick bothered me up till that point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Judging from this thread, there seems to be a lot of unpleasantness (to put it mildly :D ) in going to gigs/concerts these days. I agree with all that's been said here. These problems dont seem to effect the majority though, or the numbers attending would be small. As long as the cash is coming in nobody gives a f--k and this problem(s) will be with us for a long time. It's just the way we are here in Ireland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Rigsby wrote: »
    Judging from this thread, there seems to be a lot of unpleasantness (to put it mildly :D ) in going to gigs/concerts these days. I agree with all that's been said here. These problems dont seem to effect the majority though, or the numbers attending would be small. As long as the cash is coming in nobody gives a f--k and this problem(s) will be with us for a long time. It's just the way we are here in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Sad situation to be in. That's why I go to most of my gigs abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I realise I'm coming to this thread rather late. Anyway, I 100% agree with all the contributors about f*&kbags who inflict their mobile amateur Spielberg antics on the rest of us.

The same can be said for people who talk and text at the cinema and theatre. Stephen Fry quite rightly stated that the devil has a special circle of hell set aside for those people.

I fail to see the point of spending money to attend a show and then watch the whole thing through a blurry 2-inch screen.

Advertisement