Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Key out engine still running??

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

folks, a friend of mine took the key out of the ignition in her car and noticed that the car was still running. any ideas of what this might be. she put the key in again and turned it and back again and the car turned off. i've never seen this before.

99 astra

frn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Was it a white car by any chance with a dublin registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

no sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The gardai do a modification to their cars to allow the engines to stay running with the keys out of the ignition so that the lights can be left on even if the car is unmanned. When and where did she buy the car? Does she know anything about previous owners? It could have been an unmarked car, are there any holes in the dashboard?

sorry alias its def not an old unmarked squad. no holes in the dash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Sounds like something is worn in the drive between the lock barrel and the switch on the end of the ignition lock. It's fixable but would need an auto electrician unless you or your friend are capable of working on such things. The greatest danger is that the symptom might one day work in reverse -- ie won't start the engine either.

The other possibility, although less likely, is that it is continuing to run on its sump oil, but if that was the case she should notice that she's using a lot of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

is it a turbo by any chance? some turbo cars will keep the engine running for a few mins to allow the turbo to cool down, not sure about an astra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

squad cars have only had run lock since 06 afaik. Handy for checkpoints, so the lights don't run down the battery.

OP, sounds like a key barrel failure, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. Does the radio still turn on if the key is not in normally? Does it turn on now? What about light buzzers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The gardai do a modification to their cars to allow the engines to stay running with the keys out of the ignition so that the lights can be left on even if the car is unmanned. When and where did she buy the car? Does she know anything about previous owners? It could have been an unmarked car, are there any holes in the dashboard?

aigh its the phoenix system take the keys out lights and engine still runs let down the handbrake and its kills the engine ambulance & fire service have same systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

If it is a diesel, the stop soloniod could be stuck. Happened me in a Peugeot 405 years ago. Easy fix, cheap part from a scrappy.
    TBH, sounds like a barrel issue alright, espically if it works the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ART6 wrote: »
    Sounds like something is worn in the drive between the lock barrel and the switch on the end of the ignition lock. It's fixable but would need an auto electrician unless you or your friend are capable of working on such things. The greatest danger is that the symptom might one day work in reverse -- ie won't start the engine either.

+1, this is probably what's going on. I once had an old Corolla, the key fell out of the ignition once and the engine kept running. All of the pins in the lock must have worn away or something. I also discovered that I could start the car using a flat screwdriver, or my house key :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info guys. i'll send her in the direction of an auto electrician so.

thanks again

frn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cashmni1 wrote: »
    If it is a diesel, the stop soloniod could be stuck. Happened me in a Peugeot 405 years ago. Easy fix, cheap part from a scrappy.

Yes if diesel, I would be thinking stop solenoid (if modern models still use that system).
    If it were to happen again, A good check would be to see if everything was switched off except for the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Puncell

could be a turbo timer....but probobly not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Most likely a worn barrell or ignition contact. They do go a bit in the astras. Wouldnt need an auto electrican to sort. If you can find out which you can replace the contact or order a barrell from a dealer to your key number.

One other possiblity is a bulb in the wrong way. Have seen it happen on a corsa but cant think if it happens with the astra. If you fit a brake light bulb (stop and tail bulb) the wrong way round on some cars, if you leave the lights on and take the key out current from the lights can keep the ignition on through the brake circuit and keep the engine running, until the lights are turned off. Its unlikely as I have only seen it once or twice where as I have replaced quite a few barrell and contacts. They usually also cause the starter to run on sometimes when you crank the engine.

Let me know a bit more details and I will try to help you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

cashmni1 wrote: »

Woah your old :P. Any joy with this OP, wonder if the igition needs a spray of wd40?:p I dunno but it solves alot of things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

As others said, there is a system called a run lock, but you have to press a button to activate that.

More than likely an electrical fault in the ignition system, or contacts fuked or hte ilk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I had a fiesta that did this. Its was an bad earth. Used to have stall it to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A friend of mine's car can do this. Its a mid nineties Toyota Carina. Not sure if its diesel(I suspect it is, though). Crucially its white. Does this mean its an ex cop car??

Advertisement