Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Anime

Options
  • 21-11-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for superior complex & high artistic value anime/manga? The only stuff I can think of at the mo are "Akira" (the books more so than the film - film was good but it left SO much out) & Any of Masamune Shirows stuff. I like more simple stuff as well (trigun and loads of others which theres no point going in to here). Anybody know any other stuff along the lines of that? If you don't know any that embody both high quality artwork & compelling complex plot - then examples which exemplify either trait; like a particularily good looking movie - or if not as good looking, one with an exceptional & in depth story!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

End of Evangelion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Any of Hayao Miyazaki's (and by extension, Studio Ghibli's) works.
    Most works by Madhouse Studios.
    Was quite partial to Steamboy, too.

If I'm honest though, nothing beats Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann -- doesn't matter what artistic values you chuck in your work, how great a composer you use, how fabulous your director/producer/writer is.

Gurren Lagann makes me cry TEARS OF JOY & AWESOME, and you have to beat that before I put you in my top list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust .....one of the greatest quality animation productions iv seen.

In terms of complexity i always find most mecha anime are like that, End of Evangelion defo being one and Patlabor being another.

Also most Psychological/Dark anime are complex as well and usually have interesting art styles:
    - Chaos;Head (its a new season series, its not exactly one of the finer animation productions but it's a very good complex storyline to it)
    - Gungrave
    - Ergo Proxy
    - Blood+
    - Serial Experiments Lain
    - Death Note
    - Kurozuka
    - Paranoia Agent
    - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (when they cry)

Theres plenty more, some old 'Manga' style anime is good as well like Geno Cyber, Battle Angel Alita etc. You have to go rooting around a while to find somthing to your taste. Pretty much any Ghibli film iv seen has been a work of art and another movie i could recommend is Sky Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Paranoia Agent, and anything by the same guy. Perfect Blue, Paprika, Millenium Actress etc.

Though seriously, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There was nothing complicated about the plot of Gurren Lagann but it was great, and must be watched.

For good looks and brainy plot: Ghost in the Shell. Rare among anime, the Dub to GITS is a very close match to the original japanese. Another reason for top marks from me.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    There was nothing complicated about the plot of Gurren Lagann but it was great, and must be watched.

For good looks and brainy plot: Ghost in the Shell. Rare among anime, the Dub to GITS is a very close match to the original japanese. Another reason for top marks from me.

I prefer the dub of GITS as it had Crispin Freeman's voice in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,492 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

who?

Ill hand it to the jap subs, i just dont think English does the Tachikomas the same justice.

Overheal wrote: »
    who?

Ill hand it to the jap subs, i just dont think English does the Tachikomas the same justice.

Batou's voice in the english dub, I think it's good.

I think the english dub is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I second Higurashi no naku koro ni, it is very well drawn and a complete head wrecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I second Higurashi no naku koro ni, it is very well drawn and a complete head wrecker!
    Higurashi is ATROCIOUSLY drawn at (most) times.

But the atmosphere of sheer menace saves it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

All of Satoshi Kon's stuff. Really.
    After that, check out most things by Katsuhiro Otomo (Steamboy, Memories, Robot Carnival, Roujin Z). Also get into any anime produced by Studio 4c, if you can.
    Also; everything Ghost In the Shell-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Texhnolyze
    Shigurui (Brilliantly drawn but unfinished as yet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

jim o doom wrote: »
    Any suggestions for superior complex & high artistic value anime/manga? The only stuff I can think of at the mo are "Akira" (the books more so than the film - film was good but it left SO much out) & Any of Masamune Shirows stuff. I like more simple stuff as well (trigun and loads of others which theres no point going in to here). Anybody know any other stuff along the lines of that? If you don't know any that embody both high quality artwork & compelling complex plot - then examples which exemplify either trait; like a particularily good looking movie - or if not as good looking, one with an exceptional & in depth story!:)

Three words; Neon Genesis Evangelion.
    Its one of the few intelligent anime in existence. Its very heavy on Psychology and Philosophy, mainly existentialism, and has a few Judeo Christian and Freudian references and imagery thrown in also. The director based the Avoidant, Shinji, on himself and used the show as a form of catharsis to overcome his depression and self esteem issues.

Most of the main cast suffer from a Personality Disorder, or a developing Personality Disorder at least.

Shinji=Avoidant Personality Disorder
    Asuka= Narcissistic Personality Disorder
    Rei= Schizoid Personality Disorder
    Misato=Dependent Personality Disorder

The End of Evangelion is a big budget retelling of the last two episodes of the series. The message is and ending is ultimately the same but told in a much more grim and graphic manner.

You can the whole anime free on here; http://www.animecrazy.net/category/completed-anime-shows/neon-genesis-evangelion/

As for other intelligent anime...maybe Ghost in the Shell. Although I love the Art style I find most anime quite shallow but I'm a big fan of Evangelion because its so deep and I'm diagnosed with mild Avoidant Personality Disorder so I can relate to the thought process of Shinji alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Angel's Egg

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

LAIN and Wolf's Rain off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Irlandesaaa

I'd think of something alike to Rayearth, Sakura Card Captors or Tsubasa Chronicles but I dunno if they're well-known in Ireland as well (in Brazil they certainly are!!)
    Natsuki Takaya's mangas can b said as "complex" also, such as Fruits Basket or Tsubasa wo Motsu Mono.
    Can't remember any other kind for now...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig only, 1st is basically pizza)
    Paranoia Agent (Blissfully dark and satirical)
    Serial Experiments Lain (Makes Evangelion look like Pokemon)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

If there is anyone into Surreal movies and into Surrealism I would reccomend again Paprika, Satoshi Kon's other movies and espcially I know someone reccomend it already, End Of Evangelion. I love that film because it is very surreal and has strange art. Maybe Elfin Lied might be a good one too as that is a complex love story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reign16

anime bleach the beautiful anime...

Advertisement