Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Sales/ VAT questions

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I've been purchasing online for over 10 years without too much hassle vat/duty wise. Generally I buy smaller items such as dvds and often within the EU anyway, so extra charges are not a problem.

But a friend of mine recently bought a 50euro dvd boxset from sendit.com (which used to be in N.Ireland but is now in Jersey as far as I know) and was charged 16euros -by his postman. It was sent standard airmail. I asked him if there was a breakdown of the charge and he said no -it just said Duty 16euros. I have no idea how or why that figure was arrived at.

That's a bit steep isn't it? And is Duty/Vat actually due on goods coming from Jersey? (I know they're not technically in the EU, but they kind of have been considered EU under the UK banner -or something like that).

And what's the limit for vat-free purchases coming into Ireland anyway? Didn't it go up not so long ago to something like 38euros?
    (I know that's not applicable in this case, but for future reference I'd like to know.)

Thanks in advance,

-Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But a friend of mine recently bought a 50euro dvd boxset from sendit.com (which used to be in N.Ireland but is now in Jersey as far as I know) and was charged 16euros -by his postman. It was sent standard airmail. I asked him if there was a breakdown of the charge and he said no -it just said Duty 16euros. I have no idea how or why that figure was arrived at.

Simple. 50euro price, times 21% VAT is 10.50. Add 5 fee to this, which the carrier is allowed to charge for processing the VAT payment (up to 15euro is actually allowed), and you get 15.50, which is pretty close to 16.
    That's a bit steep isn't it? And is Duty/Vat actually due on goods coming from Jersey? (I know they're not technically in the EU, but they kind of have been considered EU under the UK banner -or something like that).
    Steep? Yes, but that's the way it is. Jersey is outside the EU, and a tax haven, therefore anything coming from there is subject to VAT. There's no exemption.
    And what's the limit for vat-free purchases coming into Ireland anyway? Didn't it go up not so long ago to something like 38euros?
    (I know that's not applicable in this case, but for future reference I'd like to know.)

Current limits are 22euro for a purchase, and 45 for a gift. An Post don't normally charge the VAT on anything under about 50euro, but coming up to Christmas there is always talk of it being a bit different. I got hit on three Amazon.com purchases around Christmas last year, other times it doesn't seem as bad.

It's never unilaterally applied though. So you pay today, but you probably won't tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I ordered stuff from mymemory.co.uk presuming them to be in the UK. They only allow delivery to your billing address for the first 28 days (rather than my work address). I have a small postbox and they have free delivery so I ordered all the stuff separately (so as not to have to collect in the postoffice).

Lucky I did since it came from jersey and I had the potential of being charged duty etc if it had all come in one big package.

Advertisement