Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age to start school?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

Heya

I'm filling in forms to put my son down for primary school, but not sure what year he should start.

He was born in October, so he'd either be 4 going on 5, or 5 going on 6 when he starts junior infants.

Is there a consensus on what age kids should start school, or is it just up to the parents?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is up tp p the parents, they can start school at 4 and must be in school by the time they turn 6.

IT used to be the starting age was 4 but schools are pushing for it to be 5 so 4 going on 5 would be fine if you feel your little one is capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

One of mine has a birthday in October and he started when he was 4 going on 5. He's in 5th class now and doing very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's up to the parents. You have to decide if he's ready for school yourself - talk to the teacher if you're in doubt.

Thaed is almost right regarding the ages: the child can start school if he'll be 4 on the 30th September and must be in school if he's 6 on the 30th September. However some schools have enrolment policies that restrict this further - e.g. "must be 4 on 1st July in year of enrolment" is a common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As someone who started school having just turned 4 on August 2nd, I'd recommend waiting until the child is 5. In your case though OP, 5 going on 6 might leave him a little older than the majority of his class so I'd go for it while he's 4 going on 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

If a school is oversubscribed they may set their own date, in my son's school pupils must be 4 by Sept 1st, my older boy's birthday was 3rd Sept so had to wait until he was 5 but that was what we wanted anyway. Some school require pupils to be 4 by 1st May prior to starting school.

If a school is dependent on getting an extra teacher or on retaining an existing teacher and numbers are shaky they will take younger children. The number on the role book on Sept. 30th is the number the dept. will go by for the following year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

thanks everyone, i'll talk to the boss about it!!! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

older is generally better,the DES makes it hard for a child to "stay back" and I feel it impacts badly on their self-esteem. Boys can also be slower to mature. I have never met a parent who regretted starting a child later, but plenty who regetted starting a child too soon. Bottom line, he's your son, you know him best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

5 going 6 sounds terribly old.
    Which can also have adverse affects on them.
    4 going 5 within a month sounds right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

My son is in the early start in the primary school. He started there this September. He turned 3 on the 5th Sept. He will starting Junior Infants next year. To start school the child has to be 4 years old before the end of Sept to start that year.

In my nephews school the child had to be 4 by the end of the May to start school the following Sept. All schools have different policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭itsmine

My daughter will be 4 in May next year and I'm torn between sending her next September, aged 4 and 5 months, or waiting until the following year when she would be aged 5 and 5 months.

Any advice please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Fiona24

my dd started school in september 08. She turned 4 in July. I have never once regretted sending her at 4. She was in montessori for a year last year and had learnt everything from writing to numbers to 3d shapes to a variety of things in Irish. She is a very quick learner so I presume this helps. I think it is down to indiviualy circumstances though. There was no way I could have made my dd stay another year in montessori she would have been so bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

itsmine wrote: »
    My daughter will be 4 in May next year and I'm torn between sending her next September, aged 4 and 5 months, or waiting until the following year when she would be aged 5 and 5 months.

Any advice please?

I was the in the same boat a couple of years ago. I had no doubts about my daughters ability academically (if you can use that word for a 4 year old). But she really wasn't ready socially and it would have been like throwing her to the lions. I waited a year and haven't regretted it for a minute. I know someone who decided to send her girl at just turned 4 and she ended up taking her out again :( It does depend on the child though but if you have any doubts at all then I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

gar_29 wrote: »
    Heya

I'm filling in forms to put my son down for primary school, but not sure what year he should start.

He was born in October, so he'd either be 4 going on 5, or 5 going on 6 when he starts junior infants.

Is there a consensus on what age kids should start school, or is it just up to the parents?

cheers

I'd say with an October child 4 going on 5 will be grand. 5 almost 6 seems quite old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

My one started at age 5 with the birthday in July and he is one of the oldest in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Sleepy wrote: »
    As someone who started school having just turned 4 on August 2nd, I'd recommend waiting until the child is 5. In your case though OP, 5 going on 6 might leave him a little older than the majority of his class so I'd go for it while he's 4 going on 5.
    It really depends on the child I'd say. I was a few days older than you starting school. Apparently I would have went insane with another year cooped up in the house, I was already starting to read (or whatever for that age). Thank God, I found school unstimulating enough as it was.

I was also able to play with the team below in sports if I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Both my sons had birthdays in May and started school in September and i thought that it was a grand age.Only you know what your son is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

marti101 wrote: »
    Both my sons had birthdays in May and started school in September and i thought that it was a grand age.Only you know what your son is capable of.

My psychic ability is malfunctioning at the moment...so I'll have to guess that they were 4.5 going to school and not 5.5..am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

My son was 4 in June and started school in September. i could have left him the extra year until he was 5 however i just thought i hated school and wanted out as early as possible.

However, its very tough on a 4 year old and i often wondered if i did the right thing.

They have to be gone 4 though to start afaik. The school will be able to tell you their policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

gar_29 wrote: »
    Heya

cheers
    My son also born in October will be starting school when he is 4 going on 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

my sister's birthday is the second week in September, so technically she started school aged 3. I'd wait the year and send them when they are 4 years old (going on 5).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

4 going on 5 sound's best.

If you start them too late they don't have
    a year to repeat a year if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Sleepy wrote: »
    As someone who started school having just turned 4 on August 2nd, I'd recommend waiting until the child is 5.

+1 (I was August 5th though :))

I ended up repeating 4th class, (more of an age issue than anything else, with my new school) in my current school, didnt really affect me badly but I wonder how things would have gone if i didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Depends on the school, my daughter was 4 years old end of September, so they wouldn't start her til the following year when she was 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Neither option sounds bad to me. I think I would in general opt for minimum age 5. I am inclined to think the older the better, but in your case I think the younger age will be fine also. I'd go with 5 going on 6. I think 4 is a little young, and it used to shock me that parents would be keen to start their babies at 3! Why the rush? They're still babies!
    Taking into consideration as well, the other end of school, I wouldn't want a child starting college too young, especially if they have to move away. My neice had to do this at 16, and herself and her parents were very anxious about it. It's very young to be moving away from home on top of the stress of the transition from school etc. I know you're a long way off that, but it might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

I have a son who was born in October too and I'm sending him at 4 going on 5 the following month.

Advertisement