Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

End of year, a good time to buy a used car ?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hey, Im currently looking for a 2 litre diseal car, lets say around 10k, should I buy now or wait until january ? I recall end of year being an odd time for car sales..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you'll prob find most cars now are reduced and are priced for 2009 jan prices anyway but no harm looking now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'd wait till January/Feb as you'll have a better choice from new year trade ins.

Do you have a car to trade in ? I'd look to get rid of that ASAP as you'll get a better deal for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

I'd wait till January/Feb as you'll have a better choice from new year trade ins.

Are any of the dealers willing to take trade ins in Jan??:D

Now is really as good a time as any to have a look as dealers are stretched to the limit in a lot of cases with used cars and more and more seem willing to negotiate to move on second hands to liquidate cash and enable them to trade in January. There are bargains to be had out there. Shop around though as some dealers seem to be a lot more proactive than others in trying to get themselves out of the potential trouble they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

What would you be after in that price bracket/engine?
    An idea of year, make/model.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Time is on your side, used car prices are only going one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

leon8v wrote: »
    .. Shop around though as some dealers seem to be a lot more proactive than others in trying to get themselves out of the potential trouble they are in.

Same situation as the OP, looking to buy with similar sort of budget, not sure to buy now or in Jan, but I know I won't be buying locally, because I walked into three large local garages last week looking for straight deals (no trade in, no loans), here are the final offers:

* 06 Honda Accord 2.4l petrol, asking 23k, and said they wouldn't take a cent less than 20k
    * Same place 03 520i, looking for 13k, def not below 12k.
    * Another place 05 Audi A3, looking for 16k, might reduce it another €500, but no more.
    * Local Honda dealer - 05 Accord 2.2 Exec with loads of scratches and dirty interior - wont budge below 20k! Same car can be brought in from the UK for 12k including shipping & VRT!

I think I gave my local industry a fair chance... and they failed. But do shop around - there might be someone out there who is up to date on the latest situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

positron wrote: »

I think I gave my local industry a fair chance... and they failed. But do shop around - there might be someone out there who is up to date on the latest situation.

Lads a chap in work got in 06 Audi A6 with all the extra, aircon, leather etx with 50,000 KM for 12000 + 7000 VRT + 500 shipping, thats 21,000 euro!!!!!!!!!!!
    what a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Same situation as the OP, looking to buy with similar sort of budget, not sure to buy now or in Jan, but I know I won't be buying locally, because I walked into three large local garages last week looking for straight deals (no trade in, no loans), here are the final offers:

* 06 Honda Accord 2.4l petrol, asking 23k, and said they wouldn't take a cent less than 20k
    * Another place 05 Audi A3, looking for 16k, might reduce it another €500, but no more.
    * Local Honda dealer - 05 Accord 2.2 Exec with loads of scratches and dirty interior - wont budge below 20k! Same car can be brought in from the UK for 12k including shipping & VRT!

I wont disagree with you because there are some guys out there with their heads in the clouds alright but there are still some bargains to be had over here.
    The problem is though, with the rate so good at the moment with sterling, it is so attractive to go to the UK, and I do feel sorry for some dealers over here as they are having to wipe more off their second hand stock that they probably gave good prices on trade in for.
    Dont get me wrong there are some out there trying to shaft alright but there are genuine guys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Positron,

What garage was the Audi a3 for sale in? I would be interested in getting one of those cars. I would have cash up front so hoping to get a good deal. I am also in the same position. I have about 17000-17500 euro budget and and looking to get either an Audi a3 or Volkswagon Golf second hand and but don't know whether now or January would be the best time or would their be much of a difference in costs holding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

billyhead wrote: »
    What garage was the Audi a3 for sale in?

Its online too: http://www.westernmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1174867

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dools2007

You can see the original price in the picture - Price €19,750 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Lads a chap in work got in 06 Audi A6 with all the extra, aircon, leather etx with 50,000 KM for 12000 + 7000 VRT + 500 shipping, thats 21,000 euro!!!!!!!!!!!
    what a bargain
    Mmmm A6, I really like them. Any more info???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Yea, even looking online you can see some real snake oil salesmen (and I dont mean the boys from nigeria). Some want stupid money for cars like you`ve said above. Another fella was including scrappage in the price of his cars.

You`d think they would be willing to give discounts to move on these cars, but they seem happy to let them rust, it must cos them a fortune to keep them in proper order over a few months.

Advertisement