Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pedestrians spoil car design

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone noticed?

Ever since these new safety regulations came out that stipulate that cars need to have improved safety in case of a collision with pedestrians, new cars are more fugly than ever.

This new raised bonnet line (that is supposed to prevent the flying pedestrian from hitting the hard engine with their head) is looking really ungainly.

Safer it may be ...pretty it aint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Peugeot 407 was a capital example. I couldn't believe how ugly it was, all for the sake of the minority of people too stupid to cross roads safely. Nice idea, but hardly worth redesigning cars so extremely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Citroen C6 has both excellent pedestrian safety and great looks. I think they developed a system of raising the bonnet automatically when the car hits a pedestrian to give them a bit of cushioning.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Next they will want cars to be surrounded in pillows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

peasant wrote: »

Not only that, but it has forced cars to become longer, more expensive and less fuel efficient.

And then the same cretins who are moaning that car makers couldn't achieve the target average of 140 g/km CO2 are wondering why?

Well if cars have been forced to become bigger, heavier, and less aerodynamic it doesn't take a geniune that that might just have something to do with it.

But fear not the EU doesn't know what this well known thing called "the laws of physics" is:mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Pop up headlights are no longer permitted for the same reason :mad:

8-series and mk1 Mx5's ftw - there will be carnage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I didnt spoil Audi with their design of the Q7. Safe as houses as long as you inside of it and not inside of the grille.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

This new raised bonnet line (that is supposed to prevent the flying pedestrian from hitting the hard engine with their head) is looking really ungainly.

In fairness, a brain splatted across the bonnet doesn't do much for the look of most cars either, so either way pedestrians spoil the aesthetics. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Anyone noticed?

Ever since these new safety regulations came out that stipulate that cars need to have improved safety in case of a collision with pedestrians, new cars are more fugly than ever.

Buy old cars, send em flying further !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I didnt spoil Audi with their design of the Q7. Safe as houses as long as you inside of it and not inside of the grille.
    Have you looked at the Q7's crash test results? The size of the thing, and it couldn't even manage five stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Anan1 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Q7's crash test results? The size of the thing, and it couldn't even manage five stars.

You are still much better of on the inside though. I stepped onto a zebra crossing yesterday and expected it to stop. It did eventually and I stood there defiantly until it did. I stopped pretty close to me with the driver apologising profusely. The Effin Size of it when your at the front wathcing it steamroll towards you.

What about this poor dog?
    1454683.jpg

Story here

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=31675

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What about this poor dog?
    1454683.jpg

Don't woofers usually go in the boot? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The dog survived, which kind of proves that the design works...

As for Ferris' comment, I'm pretty sure that the regulations don't apply retroactively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Honey-ec wrote: »
    As for Ferris' comment, I'm pretty sure that the regulations don't apply retroactively.

I'm pretty sure they don't either.

I just like cars with pop up headlights and I lament their passing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I stepped onto a zebra crossing yesterday and expected it to stop. It did eventually and I stood there defiantly until it did. I stopped pretty close to me with the driver apologising profusely.

Quirke, don't get me wrong - I'm with you in principle on this one, but cars hurt, as my friend says every time a pedestrian steps out in front of her, and you've only one life. Maybe standing there defiantly mightn't seem like such a good idea when you're being wheeled into A&E?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

fricatus wrote: »
    Maybe standing there defiantly mightn't seem like such a good idea when you're being wheeled into A&E?

I agree. A pedestrian crossing is there for you to cross the road, not to stand there in the middle of the road defiantly until the cars have come to a stop.

As a pedestrian, you may have right of way on a crossing but this will not help you one bit if you are killed by a car that doesn't stop. Common sense is the winner here, most people know what a poor standard of driving exists in this country, and I have seen plenty of drivers who don't even slow down when approaching a PedX.

To counterpoint that, there are also a high number of equally ignorant pedestrians around that thinks it's OK to just stroll out into the road (pedx or no pedx) when they feel like it and it's always the drivers responsibility to stop.

Back on topic, I don't think pedestrian saftey is ruining car design because there are still a lot of nice motors out there, but they are becoming a bit "samey" and we don't have the variety that was around in the 70's & 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

keefg wrote: »
    As a pedestrian, you may have right of way on a crossing but this will not help you one bit if you are killed by a car that doesn't stop

At least if he's hit by a woman driver he'll die happy and feeling vindicated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aston Martin Lagonda ftw

Mike

Honey-ec wrote: »
    At least if he's hit by a woman driver he'll die happy and feeling vindicated...

:D very good!

mike65 wrote: »
    Aston Martin Lagonda ftw

Mike

Lol, that's exactly the car I was thinking of when I read this thread.

std_lagonda.jpg

Advertisement