Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Corp Discussion

• 21-11-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys,

The thread about Baldonnal turned into a more general discussion about the IAC

So I am opening this thread up as a ' placeholder ' for such a discussion.

What do people thing , should the IAC be better funded/allowed to wither and die/ developed better/ change direction ......

I have no vested interest either way.

One note people , please try not to make this a personal attack on the IAC , I am sure they are a commited/patrioric/professional force who are working within difficult budget constraints and possibly under the shadow of the other arms of the defence forces.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Aviation and Aircraft forum <========= here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Considering he wants to discuss the Irish Air Core I would think that it belongs in here just as much as in Military :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Considering he wants to discuss the Irish Air Core

Corps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

As a tax payer, I would like to see a change of direction, I think everyone will agree, we need more coastal surveillance for drug detection, fisheries etc. Training people to fly, just for the sake of it, is a waste of time. The air taxi service for ministers should be stopped immediately, this is a disgusting waste of fuel and resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

spadder wrote: »
    As a tax payer, I would like to see a change of direction, I think everyone will agree, we need more coastal surveillance for drug detection, fisheries etc. Training people to fly, just for the sake of it, is a waste of time. The air taxi service for ministers should be stopped immediately, this is a disgusting waste of fuel and resources.

I agree, more resources into patroling the coasts, who knows how much drugs etc. gets in. I think the Air Corps have CASN aircraft that are permanently patroling marine and fisheries, but IMO more is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

This wasn't meant as a thread replacing the miltary forum. It's just the Baldonnel thread started to be pulled left and right and off track.

However my opinion ... for whats it's worth.

Increase the Garda flying capabilities, but look at if you need to have these run by the military.

Either make the IAC a viable fighting force to support the ground troops / navy or radically reform it.

The previous poster that said the coastal patrol capabilities should be increased was spot on , it's obvious to me that the west coast of Ireland is the gateway of choice for drugs into the EU. Perhaps there should be a pan-european , or at least pan-British Isles force ? Or is there already one ?

I do question the need for a dedicated flight training force as things stand , I would have thought all this capability could be purchased externally.

The helecopter force is impressive , and performs a hell of a lot of work, it must be a sorce of disappointment to them that they are never deployed with the troops to the overseas deployments ( or have they ?? )

As far as the VIP transportation, certainly it's use needs to be reviewed , the ministers being transported should have to justify it's use and should use ground transportation if this is possible. Could aircraft be chartered instead ? Would it be cheaper , more cost effective ?? The paper stories about previous leaders insisting that aircraft positioned to Dublin , and ministers using aircraft to fly to shop openings etc , do them no favours . ( I know they only follow orders but this looks bad )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The helecopter force is impressive , and performs a hell of a lot of work, it must be a sorce of disappointment to them that they are never deployed with the troops to the overseas deployments ( or have they ?? )

On the military thread it was pointed out by someone that these helicopters are civvie spec not military. Thus they are not deployable. Nor were they ever intended to be. Deploying any aircraft away from it's base requires back up, ground crew, spares, tools. Miltary aircraft are mostly what has been referred to as 'ruggedised'. The 139s would need sandfilters at least to operate in Chad. From what I hear they are not even fully equipped yet anyway. They would also probably require several crews to operate them therefore leaving the VIP function short of crews.

They are toys. Their best use is with ground troops giving them experience with helis, no more no less. In combat, one hit with an AK would bring them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

For fishery/drug patrols, could they not use UAV's? alot more economical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

When I was in the Air Corps, 1981-85, I am sure the Gazelle's and the Dauphins in Baldonnel were civil aircraft although the initial pilots who trained in France were trained on the military versions. The Puma was there on trial and also was a civilian helicopter.

It was common thing with pilots and mechanics at that time, get trained, qualified and leave. Any long range rescues were carried out by the RAF. We weren't allowed out in the dark. To be honest single engined helicopters were only allowed 12 miles out to sea.
    Any UN airlifts had to be done from Dublin airport as Baldonnel could not handle the carriers.

I see Ireland has its own Air Sea Rescue. Thank god some politician saw the light and set it up. I was not in Ireland at the time but there was some controversy about it as it was privatized meaning manned by 'foreign' crews. I am pretty sure that is all sorted now

I'm afraid it is my view that the Air Corps could split up and be put to better use tackling crime. I do not blame the Air Corps in any way but the politicians who love to waste tax payers money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement