Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf GTI MKIV HP?

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me on this. I'm looking to import a 1999-2000 VW Golf GTI from UK and I'm looking at the REDi version that is 180bhp here but in the UK they seem to be 150bhp. Is this correct and the non red i version is 125hp whereas here it's 150bhp?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help me on this. I'm looking to import a 1999-2000 VW Golf GTI from UK and I'm looking at the REDi version that is 180bhp here but in the UK they seem to be 150bhp. Is this correct and the non red i version is 125hp whereas here it's 150bhp?

Thanks

Golf GTI Mk IV: 1998 – 2004

* 1.8-litre 125 PS
    * 1.8-litre turbo 150 PS
    * 1999 – 2.0-litre 115 PS is introduced
    * 2002 – 1.8-litre turbo 180 PS and 1.9-litre GTI PD 150 PS engines introduced
    * Total UK Mk IV GTI sales: 46,944

GTI Mk IV 1.8 125PS 125mph 0-60 9.6
    GTI Mk IV 1.8 T 150PS 134mph 0-60 8.5
    GTI Mk IV 2.0 115PS 119mph 0-60 10.9
    GTI Mk IV 1.8T 180PS 138mph 0-60 7.9
    GTI Mk IV 1.9 TDI 150PS 134mph 0-60 8.3
    GTI Mk IV 1.9 TDI 110PS 120mph 0-60 10.3

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=449

A friend has a '99 1.8T 150hp chipped by superchips to ~180. Its really quick but has traction issues. Golfs got a big upgrade in 2002 which made them quieter and better on the road. Also I'd buy one in Ireland as they typically have lower mileage and they're as cheap once you take everything into account and batter the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

Hi all,

Thanks

Wasn't the GTI (red I) the anniversary model? 1.8T was 180BHP and the TDI (also badged GTI) was 150BHP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

omega man wrote: »
    Wasn't the GTI (red I) the anniversary model? 1.8T was 180BHP and the TDI (also badged GTI) was 150BHP?

I know a guy with one of these, 6 speed, and superchipped to approx 220bhp.
    cracker of a car alright, full leather etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

omega man wrote: »

Some were, not sure if all were. In any case it's 2002 when they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Ferris wrote: »
    Golf GTI Mk IV: 1998 – 2004

* 1.8-litre 125 PS
    * 1.8-litre turbo 150 PS
    * 1999 – 2.0-litre 115 PS is introduced
    * 2002 – 1.8-litre turbo 180 PS and 1.9-litre GTI PD 150 PS engines introduced
    * Total UK Mk IV GTI sales: 46,944

GTI Mk IV 1.8 125PS 125mph 0-60 9.6
    GTI Mk IV 1.8 T 150PS 134mph 0-60 8.5
    GTI Mk IV 2.0 115PS 119mph 0-60 10.9
    GTI Mk IV 1.8T 180PS 138mph 0-60 7.9
    GTI Mk IV 1.9 TDI 150PS 134mph 0-60 8.3
    GTI Mk IV 1.9 TDI 110PS 120mph 0-60 10.3

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=449

A friend has a '99 1.8T 150hp chipped by superchips to ~180. Its really quick but has traction issues. Golfs got a big upgrade in 2002 which made them quieter and better on the road. Also I'd buy one in Ireland as they typically have lower mileage and they're as cheap once you take everything into account and batter the price down.

I'm not going to the UK to make a big saving really. From my experience with UK cars, the English tend to look after their cars very well and normally service them at a main dealer. I've been on the look out now for a while and viewed a few in Ireland but to be honest the ones I have looked at were not very well minded.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to the UK to make a big saving really. From my experience with UK cars, the English tend to look after their cars very well and normally service them at a main dealer. I've been on the look out now for a while and viewed a few in Ireland but to be honest the ones I have looked at were not very well minded.

Granted but they're a tough enough engine and the rest of the car (bar the paintwork) can be replaced and upgraded quite easily through scrappies. Thats what I did on my golf when interior plastics and such wore out. One thing on the 1.8T is that it needs good oil and to the corret VW spec. I think its 05W30 and fully synthetic. My friends one runs so much smoother on it too.

The only reason I'd personally go to UK would be to pick up an anniversary.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966995-4294967159/advert.action?R=200843321753365&distance=312&postcode=bt9+5eb&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

or

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966995-4294967159/advert.action?R=200847323798271&distance=160&postcode=bt9+5eb&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=

I looked at this one last Saturday.The body and interior are very tidy and has NCT to 2010. There's a few niggly problems (Usual MkIV problems) Airbag light on,rear washer leaking into the boot, central locking not locking on passenger door when central locking button engaged on driver door. It needs 2 tyres and a service. The engine tray under the engine was also missing. Now what kind of a mechanic would forget to put this back on after servicing the car?It has a full vw service history but the dealer was a bit vague on answering some of my questions like how many owner did the car have. At the time it was for sale for €5,500 and he would give it to me for €4,750 but I would have to do all these bits to it myself. I now see he has it reduced to €5k. He has it a while so is probably trying to get rid of it before the end of the year?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1170182

What do you think?

I looked at this one last Saturday.The body and interior are very tidy and has NCT to 2010. There's a few niggly problems (Usual MkIV problems) Airbag light on,rear washer leaking into the boot, central locking not locking on passenger door when central locking button engaged on driver door. It needs 2 tyres and a service. The engine tray under the engine was also missing. Now what kind of a mechanic would forget to put this back on after servicing the car?It has a full vw service history but the dealer was a bit vague on answering some of my questions like how many owner did the car have. At the time it was for sale for €5,500 and he would give it to me for €4,750 but I would have to do all these bits to it myself. I now see he has it reduced to €5k. He has it a while so is probably trying to get rid of it before the end of the year?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1170182

What do you think?

First of all nice car with a nice colour, so long as the body is straight.

The miles are high but it probably only work out at 12k miles a year. My da put 150k on a 1.8T tho with no real probs. Also getting a full service history on an 8/9yr old car would be unusual enough.

Airbag light on is a wire that has been pulled under one of the seats. My mechanic fixed mine for e35 but a volkswagen dealer would be more expensive.

Rear washer is a common problem and all it needs is a new seal.

Central locking again is a common one and all it needs is a new controller, should be able to get from a scrappie.

The engine sump guard's always come off, they get torn to shreds on our crap roads because golfs are quite a low car and the GTi is lowered another 40mm from standard. Budget e120 for a new one.

That one will not sell with those miles easily so if you bide your time you could get it for less.

Thanks for the reply. The advert says 98k miles but there is 102k on the clock.The dealer told me that he has been driving it for a while himself. It also says it's the 180bhp and there's no way it is. The dealer even said it isn't and he has it advertised as been a redi! Road Tax is also up so it's probably a good bargaining tool also? The price is very tempting though!

Thanks for the reply. The advert says 98k miles but there is 102k on the clock.The dealer told me that he has been driving it for a while himself. It also says it's the 180bhp and there's no way it is. The dealer even said it isn't and he has it advertised as been a redi! Road Tax is also up so it's probably a good bargaining tool also? The price is very tempting though!

Well the 180hp didn't come out until 2002. Irish cars had the same engine as UK ones. If you like the car I'd offer him e4500 with all the bits fixed. It'd be a good car for that money.

Put it this way I sold a '98 110 Gt tdi with 110000 for 5400 in June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car is now almost 9 years old, the MkIV GTi was not considered a great car so they are not as well sought after as other GTis. I would also ask when the timing belt was last changed on it.

I think the car is not worth more than €4k to be honest.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The car is now almost 9 years old, the MkIV GTi was not considered a great car so they are not as well sought after as other GTis. I would also ask when the timing belt was last changed on it.

Timing belt was done at 100k.It's marked on one of the panels in the engine.Would be doing well to get it for €4k. Would that be with all bits fixed or "out the door" at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Timing belt was done at 100k.It's marked on one of the panels in the engine.Would be doing well to get it for €4k. Would that be with all bits fixed or "out the door" at that price?

If the fixes are easy and cheap enough to do as Ferris suggests then I'd nearly offer them €4k for it straight. Putting the money on the table in front of them will let them know you mean business.

Remember time is on your side anyway as it is not going to go up in value, so patience is the key here.

bazz26 wrote: »

Not a great Gti but they are a great car. There is actually very little out there that offer its mix of class, performance, economy, low tax and with a nice interior. You just don't get that from a civic or a focus. Add to that that the golf feels a lot fresher even tho its an older design and its easy to see why the sell for more.

Thanks lads.I'm looking at a few currently in the UK but if I can't find anything I might go for this one. If I can get if for €4k I reckon it's good value.Will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I haven't looked at the link,but i wouldn't buy one over here unless i knew the previous owner and its entire history.

Airbag light could be a wire loose under the seat,it also could be any one of a number of other things.

The passenger door not locking could be the controller it also could be a side of effect of the leak in the boot letting water into the boot look and frying the central locking.

I would head to the uk and concentrate my search on places like uk-mkivs.net and pistonheads these are the places that enthusiast usually sell there cars,buy an enthusiasts car and you will never look back as he or she will have all the usual mk4 nibbles sorted out,will fix things as the break and will also probably have the suspension upgraded.

I would also suggest buying an anniversary model that is the car the mk4 GTI should have been!

Personally i will never buy a car in this country again.

EDIT: just had a look at that link,you could do wqay better in the UK,especially considering that is a uk car anyway,if you do buy that ask for the original UK reg number and run your own HPI check.

RICARDO BUCKET SEATS lol! good ole ricardo

tossy wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the link,but i wouldn't buy one over here unless i knew the previous owner and its entire history.

Airbag light could be a wire loose under the seat,it also could be any one of a number of other things.

The passenger door not locking could be the controller it also could be a side of effect of the leak in the boot letting water into the boot look and frying the central locking.

I would head to the uk and concentrate my search on places like uk-mkivs.net and pistonheads these are the places that enthusiast usually sell there cars,buy an enthusiasts car and you will never look back as he or she will have all the usual mk4 nibbles sorted out,will fix things as the break and will also probably have the suspension upgraded.

I would also suggest buying an anniversary model that is the car the mk4 GTI should have been!

Personally i will never buy a car in this country again.

EDIT: just had a look at that link,you could do wqay better in the UK,especially considering that is a uk car anyway,if you do buy that ask for the original UK reg number and run your own HPI check.

RICARDO BUCKET SEATS lol! good ole ricardo

Funny you say it's a uk car? It has a full main dealer history from Irish Dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Funny you say it's a uk car? It has a full main dealer history from Irish Dealers?

Sorry my bad,i had a quick look at the link earlier and seen cambridge motor company on the insurance holder so i presumed something i shouldn't have.

My original advice still stands though.

Thanks Tossy for the advice. As posted earlier my preference wolud be a UK model. The anniversary model is too expensive for me as my max budget incl VRT is €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Hi guys,

Thought id hijack this thread.
    Whats the general opinion on a Mk IV gti?

Is there anything in particular to look out for on these?
    Would it be possible to get a good one for less than 5000?

What else would be an option for this price range?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thought id hijack this thread.
    Whats the general opinion on a Mk IV gti?

Is there anything in particular to look out for on these?
    Would it be possible to get a good one for less than 5000?

What else would be an option for this price range?

Thanks in advance.
    They're really nothing special. Nice recaro seats is probably the best thing I can say for it. However they're becoming good value now thanks to the rush of people wanting the 130bhp diesel. With the petrol you get a quiet engine and more power than the diesel for less money and cheaper tax with the only sacrifice being the lower fuel economy.
    What are your requirements? If you're looking for pin-sharp handling then you're looking in the wrong place. However if you want a good quality cabin, a comfortable place to sit, reasonable reliability and under-stated looks for reasonable money then it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Biro wrote: »
    They're really nothing special. Nice recaro seats is probably the best thing I can say for it. However they're becoming good value now thanks to the rush of people wanting the 130bhp diesel. With the petrol you get a quiet engine and more power than the diesel for less money and cheaper tax with the only sacrifice being the lower fuel economy.
    What are your requirements? If you're looking for pin-sharp handling then you're looking in the wrong place. However if you want a good quality cabin, a comfortable place to sit, reasonable reliability and under-stated looks for reasonable money then it's OK.

Well,you basically spelt out what i was looking for.
    Is there anything else similar to that Golf power wise and around the same price range?

jackncoke wrote: »
    Well,you basically spelt out what i was looking for.
    Is there anything else similar to that Golf power wise and around the same price range?

Only other VAG cars, leon/A3 1.8T or cupra/S3 or Octavia VRS.

All powered by the 20V 1.8T engine, which is just a legend motor.

You could get a 2.2 vti Prelude. Quicker and nicer looking.

Advertisement