Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you've met!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Ardal O'Hanlon - Ended up drinking with him and a couple of friends at a party until 6am the night before the France-Ireland WC 2006 qualifier match in Paris a few years ago, 110% sound.

Carl Weathers - Met him while working in the US several years ago, short in height but by God was this dude built.:eek:

Jay Leno - Went to the show in LA back in 2003 and met him before and after through a connection. Also you can see him shaking my hand in the front row as he comes out at the beginning. He had Denis Rodman and Elvis Costello on that night.

Rikki Lake - Bored in Manhattan walking around after breakfast early one morning after an all-night session, and some woman in a huge limo asked us did we want to go and see Rikki Lake. Still under the influence, myself and two friends headed down, went into the studio, and long-story-short, were picked up out of the crowd as we were in the entertainment business at the time (I was with two singers who then sang 'Danny Boy' at the start of the show, as I did an "interpretive dance" with the comedienne :o). Brought up and interviewed on the set before the show by herself, and during the show the camera zoomed in on us every couple of minutes for our "reactions" (grossly exaggerated of course for the lens!) to the "Paternity Test" show that was recorded.

About a year later I got a call from a friend who was in the Coombe after having a baby, to say she was watching Rikki Lake on daytime television and yours truly appeared in close-up every 2/3 mins. Couldn't make this up looking back on it - what a bizarre day :D

Venus & Serena Williams - Met them in NY when they were there to appear on ABC's 'Good Morning America' show. I'm not fans of their on-court carry-on, but they were very nice that day.

Waisale Serevi - Met him in Fiji, along with the 7s team, and then ended up drinking kava and eating birthday for 4 hours with him and some of the senior players & management that night at the hotel to celebrate his birthday on 20 May. Was sitting beside him and he kept talking about the time he'd visited Dublin to pay against Ireland. A legend.

Trevor Brennan, Gareth Thomas, Freddie Michalak & Stade Toulousain team - Got cheap flights down to Toulouse with the brother a few years back and stayed beside Brennan's Bar, De Danu. We had no rugby connection at all and had never met them, but contacted them via email and they were helpful enough to arrange match tickets etc. Ended up playing a few tunes in the bar after they beat Castres that night and it turned into a serious session with the team until the wee hours. Good times.

President Mary McAleese (a few times, lovely); Several members of both the Irish Rugby & Soccer teams; Catriona McKiernan, Brian Kennedy, Donald Rumsfeld (at the bar in Shannon Airport :eek:), I'm sure there's a few more b/c/d/e/f-listers but I can't remember them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Far too many to mention, but my most fortuitous chance meetings were Terry Gilliam and Anton Corbijn, about five or ten minutes apart, at the third Tom Waits concert in the Phoenix Park this year.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jtac

Boyzone backstage at one of their concerts about 12 years ago(met shane another time too)
    The corrs
    Des bishop
    ray Darcy
    Linda martin
    Louis Walsh
    Jim Sheridan
    Neil Jordan
    Charlie landsborough
    Jason sherlock
    Alan brogan
    Charlie Redmond

lots of irish/country singers that you would know off,family member in the business.
    have seen lots of other celebs about the place,the girls from off the rails,numerous fair city stars(one djs in a pub I go to and another drinks there),comedians.maria from corrie,rte and tv3 presenters and probably a lot more I cant remember.
    Uncle is an actor and has been in many irish films so met a lot of well know irish actors over the years.
    My bf met tommy tiernan a while back and Ronnie whelan years ago.

No one massively famous though!
    Just missed meeting will smith in new york on the set of i am legend,he was going to be arrivng in 10 minutes but we had to go as we had to get to the airport to get our flight home:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Haven't 'met' any one but have seen or walked past:

Brian Kennedy on main st in wexford- tiny!

2 ones from off the rails walked past me in Dublin. Was in a world of my own only looked up cos of the waft of perfume! Also saw Caroline Morahan on Grafton St outside a jewellers she looked kinda pissed off.

Carrie Crowley in Wexford and Cork! Swore she was following me as it was close together.

Bono in Cork - tinier! but seemed sound!
    Ali Hewson in Wexford - no make up and she was still gorgeous:mad:

David ? The mad gay politician can't re his surname in O'Briens sandwich bar with a load of other suits. Could hear him a mile off!

Keith Duffy's wife - she is so small but really pretty and so nice.
    Ronan's wife too - she was a bit snobby looking
    Few others just can't remember them now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Sat next to Louis Walsh at Dublin airport a while back, waiting for flight to London
    I'm about 95% sure I sat next to former President Mary Robinson on the flight home.
    Noel Gallagher was on flight to Manchester from Heathrow years back
    Juliette Lewis in queue at Heathrow when I was heading to NY with uni
    Walked past Kathryn Thomas some time ago in Dame Street - she has/had an apartment near the office of a friend of mine
    Have spoken on the phone to a whole load of Z-list TV presenters from Channel 6, RTE and TV3 for work - TV presenters, comedians and such
    Met Julia Roberts when I was quite a bit younger - she was filming in my local town
    Got Ray D'Arcy's autograph when I was about 10 in local Xtra Vision
    Saw Liam Neeson and Neil Jordan, who were filming in my local town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

plenty of less memorable ones working in a club in London that my brother was running and a few since then, but ones that stuck with me were quincy jones and joan armatrading at an after show party he held in the club. on the same night also spoke to kenny everett, clive owen, a heap of page 3 girls and models, mick hucknall and plenty more that I can't even remember (was about 18 years ago now). i was too young to even be there but I was 6'5" even then and my brother was the boss so nobody asked. he stuck me in the cloakroom which I thought would be crap, but of course everyone had to come past on their way in and most people left coats and had a brief chat so I was well chuffed.

i even managed to serve quincy jones a drink too which wa also pretty cool. stoli and cranberry juice which was all he'd drink.

i even got a t-shirt from the night signed by quincy himself before he left, but my mum washed it!

oh and i chatted up david gower's sister in tenerife once when I was 18, but despite my best efforts to get in there I totally failed to score even though she was fairly minging. i have a feeling she knew it was only for bragging rights though, so I won't hold it against her! :D

all pales into insignificance compared to my missus though via being a hotel manager in the UK and Ireland. She showed Muhammed Ali and his entourage to his room in the Kensington Hilton about 10 years ago and he sat her down on the bed and chatted to her for 5 minutes before she left.

she also had Arnie sit down opposite her in the restaurant in Jury's in Ballsbridge (during the special olympics thing) and chat to her over a cup of coffee. she also used to go drinking with a fair few celebs when she was still in London, but the closest either of us get to celebs these days is seeing Ronan Collins at a wedding we were at on Saturday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

Geogre Murphy at the bar

Zara Phillip at the show in meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

Met Malachy from Fame Academy in London, and Jack Charlton.

Oh and how can i forget Dustin the turkey, met him when my sister was on the den years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I met Gerry Fleming of RTE Weather at the Ploughing Match in Kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I met Gerry Fleming of RTE Weather at the Ploughing Match in Kilkenny

We have a winner!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Tracy Chapman in Trinity college. Sound woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coconut-butter

Pharrel Williams (hoootttt)
    Ray Shah (hardly famous)
    Mary Macalese (yer one that lives in the phoenix park)
    Katy French (RIP)
    All Of Westlife
    Boyzone
    Kenny Egan (hardly famous but worth a mention that he is a plonker)
    Gemma Atkinson (not bein gay but she's hot)
    Calum Best :eek:

Still in awe of pharrel williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Paul Mcgrath,

cooked his dinner at a place i used to work!

/thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Twink ; one of the most memorable days of my life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭magicass

john murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

magicass wrote: »
    john murphy

who's he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shantel22

Michael Buble (sp?), he's a very nice guy and good voice toosmile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

U2 (the four of them)
    Ali Hewson
    Gavin Friday
    Daniel Lanois
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Ralph Fiennes
    And a few national musicians/actors which are not even remotely famous in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm a lucky man to have met Michael Stipe and Peter Buck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Davy Lutton (drummer from T-Rex) was in the library I worked in. Seem him twice over the past few weeks, had a good chat with him this evening. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Wow, Sugar Ray Leonard? Im impressed.Probably the only person in the whole thread Id love to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Damien Duff

poundhound wrote: »
    Wow, Sugar Ray Leonard? Im impressed.Probably the only person in the whole thread Id love to meet.

Yup! One of my friends used to do boxing and Leonard came to the place where he used to train to do some promotional visit. At the last minute, the interpreter who was supposed to translate got sick so my buddy rang me and asked if I could help them out and translate for the guy during the Q&A session. Very nice man, Mr Leonard.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

My mother and her friend got drunk with Al Pacino in a hotel they were working in in Dublin in the late 70s. That's as close as i've ever come to a celebrity.... (not very close, admittedly) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Enzo Scifo

A few different ones for you,

Hazel O Conner (My idol growing up)
    Suzanne Vega
    Alan Sunderland (Arsenal 70/80) , beat him at tennis on hols :D
    Molly Ringwald
    Pele (At Man U v B. Munich champions league final)
    Karl Spain :o
    Morrissey, met him in La when he lived there.

Enzo Scifo wrote: »
    A few different ones for you,

Hazel O Conner (My idol growing up)
    Suzanne Vega
    Alan Sunderland (Arsenal 70/80) , beat him at tennis on hols :D
    Molly Ringwald
    Pele (At Man U v B. Munich champions league final)
    Karl Spain :o
    Morrissey, met him in La when he lived there.

What was Morrisey like? I have heard so many contradicting reports I'm not sure what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Funny how different people define celebrity.

Meeting Terry Jenkins and Adrian Lewis were a big deal to me, met them during exhibitions in my bar.
    Spoke to Moya Brennan over the phone for an hour while working as a journalist, great Irish musician.
    Des Bishop while I booked a comedy gig in Laois.
    The wrestlers Raven, Gangrel, Curryman and AJ Styles when I booked wrestling shows
    Interviewed Mick Lally while working as a journalist too, obnoxious alcoholic I thought, most of the hotel staff warned me to be careful of him, although he was great in the play that night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Sat next to Neil from "the young ones" on the tube in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

A few years back my daughter and her friends were in their local in Sydney when Russell Crow plus minders walked in,they got talking and spent the night drinking,and at closing time they all went back to daughters house for more booze.She has photos and said he was very nice,even got him to ring me and we talked for about 30mins on the phone,seemed very down to earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Saw her in the Savoy a couple of weeks ago with loads of friends waiting in the lobby. She has super long, gorgeous blonde wavy hair. She was all bubbly and seemed sweet.

She came in to watch Twilight and sat way up the front with some dude. Just before the film, the reel stopped for a few minutes.. She had been off powdering her nose and we had to wait!! Then she went out the fire exit when it was over. :rolleyes:

These diva kids eh?

Advertisement