Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous people you've met!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

I have met...

Mary Robinson
    Mary Mcaleese
    Gay Byrne
    Sonia O Sullivan
    Christy Moore
    Niall Quinn
    Ewan Mcgregor - My personal fave!!
    Angus Mcnally
    Pat Short and guard from Killnascully

Few more i cant think of right now...

I also shook the hand who shook the hand of Eamon de Velera... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭gussieg

and looking at it from the other side, I wonder how many of them got home and said 'hey honey, you'll never guess what an amazing example of humanity i met today....'
    its just a thought.
    and the most exciting for a long time, i was so star struck, Patrick Moore , from the Sky at Night.
    oh yes now i can die happy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭emeo

i met her out in cork one night!
    very nice woman,
    i met ian dempsey at ****** a few years ago, he wasnt that friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lundegaard

Here are some of my encounters with 'famous people':

1997: I once nearly walked into Sinead O' Connor with her kid in a buggy in Dublin airport. We smiled at each other as I let her pass.

1999: Mani from the Stone Roses once patted me on the back and said something along the lines of "alright mate" outside Eamo Dorans. Again I had just nearly bumped into him (I'm a bit clumsy like that)

1994: I was at this event at the RDS, where they showed the World Cup on the big screens, and there was this football match beforehand with some Irish 'celebs', anyways I think maybe Dermot Morgan gave me the ball afterwards. Not too sure though, bit hazy on that one. Either way, RIP Mr. Morgan....ya legend.

2003: Saw Eric Stoltz in Dublin airport, nobody recognised him but me. I remember clearly, some girl he was with eyeballing me because she realized I knew who he was.

2002: At the birth of my niece, I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing none other than Pat Kenny!.....jaysus. My Brother in-law spoke to him but I didn't mutter a word.

1993: After my Confirmation me and all the family went to a restaurant called 'The Courtyard' think it in Donnybrook or somewhere, anyway on the way out we saw Bertie Ahern!....before he was famous!.

Jaysus I've seen some pretty crappy 'famous people'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

My brother worked in a trendy bar in Dublin during the late eighties and one night wee Jimmy Krankee waltzed in with his(her) husband - having been a big fan of The Krankees, my brother asked Janette(the one who played wee Jimmy) for her autograph but she was having none of it and started ranting about 'intrusion' and 'fame' - to this day, I still shriek with laughter at the thought of the cantankerous Krankees blowing my brother out of it - As an aside, the brother said wee Jimmy knocked back 5 or 6 double JD's in the space of just over an hour and her husband (the other Krankee) had to carry her out roaring drunk...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I've walked past loads of celebrities, but if we mean met as in shook their hand or said hello or something like that...

Bono
    The Edge
    Kylie
    Darren Emerson from Underworld
    Mark Coleman and Dana White from UFC
    Yer one from Moloko
    The FBI boss - Skinner? - from The X files
    Puff Daddy
    Sporty Spice
    ...and a few others I probably can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheedy

The man himself-Mr. Alf Stewart!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

Brian Friel, Edna O'Brien and Ray D'Arcy. They were all lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Sinead O'Connor - played with her kid and b*tched with her about how boring a conference was.

Pat Kenny - walking the dog on Killiney Hill. He was wearing foundation.

Chris de Burgh & Rosanna Davison - when she was four. She went to my brother's kindergarten. I thought he was kinda creepy.

Danny O'Donoghue from The Script - snogged him ;)

Bono - at a schmoozy work thing. He's unbelievably short and balding.

The girls from the Corrs - in a pub in Dalkey. Two of them had spotty skin - hurrah!

Paul McGrath - when I was a kid. Had tea in his living room with him and his lovely family.

Dermot Morgan (R.I.P.) - shared a toast at a pub in Temple Bar.

Bertie Ahern - perved on me. Nice.

Baz from 'How Low Can You Go?' - my friend dated him.

...getting WAY too z-list here, shall abandon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Coldplay. Don't like their music, very nice lads though. I <3 my job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Aslan
    Francis Black
    Mary Black
    Sinead O Connor (Nothing compares)
    Glen Hansard (The Frames)
    Danny O Reilly (The Coronas)
    Coolio was in the Button Factory on Sunday!
    Linda Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Didnt meet him but Colin Farrell came into a garage in Sandymount yesterday morning while I was getting a roll. Does a few feet away count?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Oh and I was on stage (for about 30 minutes) with Faithless at the predecessor to the festival we are not allowed talk about. It resulted in getting beaten up by the bouncers, but it was worth it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

While working in Grafton Street in the 1990s, I met Woody Allen, Paul Brady, Phil Collins, Charles Dance, Marianne Faithfull, Mel Gibson, Jeremy Irons, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Ardal O'Hanlon, Michael Stipe and Charlie Watts.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Shook Gerry Adams' hand one day and exchanged a few words with him. A strangely humbling man which left me a little awestruck afterwards to be honest. Still not sure why.

Also, almost kicked the ankles off Liam Neeson on Patricks street in Cork cos he wouldnt get out of my way. He was there with his missus Natashia <whats her face>, just strolling around. No one paid him much attention. All I knew was this big well dressed bloke was in my way and I was in mad dash to get to the bus. I didnt know who he was until I eventually passed him and turn around to see who it was. He must have been at least 6'4" (I'm 6'3")

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

served declan ganley pizza the other day ( very attractive family ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

1989; Ran into Jack Lemmon in Harrods. Said 'Hi Jack'. Didn't hear reply...

1995; Worked on a film with Brendan Gleeson. Nice fella. Down to earth.

2008; That fella who played Bomber frm Pure Mule. Was with his kid on Sanymount strand. Surprisingly short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Jack charlton
    Tommy Tiernan
    Des Bishop
    Juliet Turner
    Aslan
    Republic of Loose
    Sean Og
    Joe Deane
    Derek Mooney!!
    Denis Irwin.
    Declan o rourke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

i shook hands with the lead singer of we are scientists and then told him to get a haircut. Was workin in tesco coupla years ago and told tommy tiernan where the ice cream was. I know the drummer from the stunning pretty well.now for ye beat that......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Britney Spears - sooo nice, was when she was still with Jt though. Gorgeous and surprisingly small.
    Justin Timberlake - hawt with big hands lol, nice guy, actually talks to you
    Cameron Diaz - not so nice
    Joey Fatone - soundest guy ever! Took like 5 pictures, really nice
    Lance Bass - spoke to him for like 10mins before his Broadway show, was unreal
    George Clooney ( at the the time wasn't too sure who he was was, very young lol - got to sit in the bat mobile ha)
    Bunch of football players, (Michael Owen, Ryan Giggs and the Arsenal Team in 07 )
    Roberto Cavalli (pic and all, he's a designer)
    Timbaland - backstage at Justins show
    Will Young - used to live near my sister, saw him down at the newsagents ha
    Des Bishop - saw him in Cork twice, gave me money when I collected for SHARE lol
    one of the Westlife guys, I dunno their names lol
    Shane McGowan came into my store last year, poor guy :(
    Leon Jackson lol
    Usher - sooo nice, signed an autograph and all
    Kanye West - he's interesting lol
    Bunch of American TV presenters
    Graham Norton - wicked !
    Kate Winslet - sound sound! She was drinking tea in a hotel in England was was hilarious, spoke to everyone who approached.

Also, when we lived in England we went to a few premieres in London but i guess that's not technically meeting them, but we saw the likes of Tom Cruise (midget ha).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon of Queen and Bertie Ahern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

Giorgio Armani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

1989; Ran into Jack Lemmon in Harrods. Said 'Hi Jack'. Didn't hear reply...

1995; Worked on a film with Brendan Gleeson. Nice fella. Down to earth.

2008; That fella who played Bomber frm Pure Mule. Was with his kid on Sanymount strand. Surprisingly short.

You win so far with Jack Lemmon. Now thats someone famous. Ever since Some like it hot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

had dinner with bon jovi after rds gig and punchestown gig

also stephen roche ( irish tour de france winner ) a month before he won it 1987 with my bros jumper on lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Heckler wrote: »
    You win so far with Jack Lemmon. Now that's someone famous. Ever since Some Like It Hot....

I met Tony Curtis the last time he was in Dublin, so that's an appearance on this thread for Daphne and Josephine.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Sarah Harding, Christy Moore, Tommy Tiernan, Vinny Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Britney Spears - sooo nice, was when she was still with Jt though. Gorgeous and surprisingly small.
    Justin Timberlake - hawt with big hands lol, nice guy, actually talks to you
    Cameron Diaz - not so nice
    Joey Fatone - soundest guy ever! Took like 5 pictures, really nice
    Lance Bass - spoke to him for like 10mins before his Broadway show, was unreal
    George Clooney ( at the the time wasn't too sure who he was was, very young lol - got to sit in the bat mobile ha)
    Bunch of football players, (Michael Owen, Ryan Giggs and the Arsenal Team in 07 )
    Roberto Cavalli (pic and all, he's a designer)
    Timbaland - backstage at Justins show
    Will Young - used to live near my sister, saw him down at the newsagents ha
    Des Bishop - saw him in Cork twice, gave me money when I collected for SHARE lol
    one of the Westlife guys, I dunno their names lol
    Shane McGowan came into my store last year, poor guy :(
    Leon Jackson lol
    Usher - sooo nice, signed an autograph and all
    Kanye West - he's interesting lol
    Bunch of American TV presenters
    Graham Norton - wicked !
    Kate Winslet - sound sound! She was drinking tea in a hotel in England was was hilarious, spoke to everyone who approached.

Also, when we lived in England we went to a few premieres in London but i guess that's not technically meeting them, but we saw the likes of Tom Cruise (midget ha).

have to ask, how do you meet that many american celebrities? you must have a cool job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Tiger Woods - spoke to him and got his autograph back in 2002
    The conversation consisted of
    Me "Can I have your autograph please Tiger"
    After a 5 second pause
    Tiger "Later"
    Me "Ok"

So later he saw me and took my booklet and signed it!!!!!

Phil Taylor - autograph and photo with him in 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cmackk

Boyzone
    Joe Elliot, Def Leppard
    Damon Hill
    Jack Charlton
    Tiger Woods
    Michael Jordan
    Al Pacino
    Bill Clinton
    George Bush Sr.
    Padraig Harrington
    Jonah Lomu
    Natalie Portman
    Lenny Henry
    Liev Schriber
    Naomi Watts
    Brian O'Driscoll
    Paul O'Connell
    Denis O'Brien
    Ronan O'Gara
    Keith Wood
    Chris De Burgh
    John Hurt
    Ruud Van Nistelrooy
    Teddy Sheringham
    Daft Punk
    Mylene Klass
    Pat Kenny

The Best One: Clint Eastwood, met him in Carmel (The town in California that he was once mayor of). He was wearing all the gear; Cowboy hat, cowboy boots. Good moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

jimmy white legend and very down to earth and witty, ken doherty, jerry flannery, sinead o'connor with about 7 kids, adam clayton going into a furniture shop off grafton street

All at the same time!? :D:D

*scuttles away*

Advertisement